Hobby Boss M26 Pershing

TrevorT

OK, so here's my first upload effort.  Was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this kit as my usual subjects are 1/72 modern or 1/48 WW2 aircraft.

Currently unweathered (the kit, definitely not me!)  I've ordered some oil paints and will make my first attempts when those arrive.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I thought it was on the whole a good kit with most parts fitting well and no filling required.  There is a lot of internal engine detail hidden beneath the hatches.  In the end I couldn't fit all of it in, possibly due to my errors, so I permanently fixed the hatches shut.  I also found that the turret wouldn't turn, obstructed by an internal bulkhead so carried out a little surgery to free it up.  Again may be down to my errors.

There appeared to be scope to maintain up and down movement in the wheels, though in the end it was necessary to glue things in place so that only one wheel pair now moves.  The instructions weren't at all clear what was intended here.

Enough whingeing, I'm quite happy with the result and will have a go at the Tamiya Chieftain in due course.

Any thoughts welcome!

Bigger images now inserted.  Thanks to all for advice! Trevor

Edited by TrevorT
text correction and bigger photos
  • Like 17

Hi Trevor,

Nice fisrt attempt with 1/35 AFVs, 

Without a doubt, Tamiya kits are a very good option to start with, giving very good final results, with very pleasant assembly/instructions, and also for experienced modelers who want to do something relaxing, but with a certain quality. You could try to make an IMGUR account, it's free, and very easy to use... I would really like to see more of your models and how you progress.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Trevor,

Nice fisrt attempt with 1/35 AFVs, 

Without a doubt, Tamiya kits are a very good option to start with, giving very good final results, with very pleasant assembly/instructions, and also for experienced modelers who want to do something relaxing, but with a certain quality. You could try to make an IMGUR account, it's free, and very easy to use... I would really like to see more of your models and how you progress.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Hi Francis.  I have a Tamiya Chieftain 5 which could be my next build.  Not too accurate from what I've read but I'm no tank expert so not a problem for me!

• Like 1

On 25/02/2023 at 11:17, TrevorT said:

Hi Francis.  I have a Tamiya Chieftain 5 which could be my next build.  Not too accurate from what I've read but I'm no tank expert so not a problem for me!

Hi Trevor,

Nice project of one of my favorites from the Cold War, the Tamiya kits, they are very old molds, and also, possibly to motorize them, so they will have holes in the hull, but they have other virtues, and without a doubt one is the learning techniques, with more than beautiful results when it ends. I don't care too much about the kit's accuracy either, it comes in second or third place, of course, the more quality the kit has, it's obvious that the better...lol. I made a MK2 but from TAKOM, it's on the forum if it helps.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Like 1

An update on my original post and my first attempt at weathering.  I settled for a simple oil wash to start with.  I think it gives a more interesting look, though a bit messy with obvious brush marks.

I used enamel thinners with winsor and newton oil paints.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As always, comments and suggestions welcome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Trevor.

To me, it looks much better, more interesting and with personality, IMHO that's the way.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Thanks Francis.  Much appreciated!  Trevor 

• Like 1