1:72 Douglas Boston Mk.III, 88 Sqn, July 1941

Dunny

Hi All,

My fifth 🤩 completion for the year is Special Hobby's Boston Mk.III, completed as Z2230 of 88 Sqn RAF, based at RAF Swanton Morley in July 1941. 88 Sqn were formed in July 1941 and were tasked with the operational evaluation of the Boston, after converting from Blenheims. There are a number of photos of Z2230 (photos for discussion only and will be removed on request):

Douglas-Boston-III-Z2230-88.jpg

Tail only shot:

538c4eb63e86b91d5cfa4aee1c622bbc.jpg

Third in line:

6339999328-c044834cb3-b.jpg

And one showing the code RH*D:

Z2230-Boston-Mk-III.jpg

You can see that there is a disparity in the roundel type between the first three photos and the last, and that there is a mix of older MSG and newer dark red squadron and aircraft codes between the aircraft. I've chosen to model Z2230 in the 'early' scheme of Type A1 roundel and MSG codes as in the last photo - I have therefore omitted the tail patch seen in the first photo, which looks to be a repair patch.

I built this kit as an RCAF Mk.III Intruder last year, so I know there are foibles in the kit. Here's the WIP for this build if anybody is interested:

I made a few 'improvements' to the kit:

- Shimmed the fuselage by 1mm to correct the mismatch with the glazing

- Added wingtip lights using clear sprue

- Scratch built a Mk.IX bomb sight

Anyway, enough waffle and on with the photos!

20230224_153915.jpg

20230224_153940.jpg

20230224_153950.jpg

20230224_154004.jpg

20230224_154023.jpg

20230224_154028.jpg

20230224_154049.jpg

And here's a couple of shots with the aforementioned RCAF Mk.III Intruder with its experimental DG/OG/Night colour scheme:

20230224_154127.jpg

20230224_154129.jpg

I've very much enjoyed this build despite the challenges, and it's nice to have an 'early' RAF Boston in the collection!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 50
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely stunning Roger, another cracking build and the fifth this year!!! Struggling to keep up fella😉😄

You have achieved a cracking finish and the scheme looks fab.  Love the group photos too.  Making me want another too!!! SWMBO will not be pleased, again!!!🙄

Great work as always

Chris

• Thanks 1

That’s a lovely job on that Boston, the overall finish looks top notch. I’ll have to check the WIP regarding that 1mm fuse shim, that’s some correction required. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Absolutely stunning Roger, another cracking build and the fifth this year!!! Struggling to keep up fella😉😄

You have achieved a cracking finish and the scheme looks fab.  Love the group photos too.  Making me want another too!!! SWMBO will not be pleased, again!!!🙄

Great work as always

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - it is a low investment, so an easy one to boost the free postage!

7 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s a lovely job on that Boston, the overall finish looks top notch. I’ll have to check the WIP regarding that 1mm fuse shim, that’s some correction required. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

Thanks very much Dave. The shim has been consistent on both of my builds of this kit. It becomes most apparent when the internals are fitted so proceed with caution. Easy to fix when you know,

Cheers,

Roger

1 minute ago, sprue said:

A lovely build and the colour wartime photographs are intriguing me. What is the colour of the wheel hubs?

Thanks Sprue! I have assumed aluminium or silver paint...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Roger my friend……..you’re already up to five for the year while I just struggled to get #2 completed myself plus you turned the difficult Special Hobby A-20 into a masterpiece ( uh……I would not expect anything less 😉 ).  A big round of applause is well deserved. :yahoo:

Mike

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Roger my friend……..you’re already up to five for the year while I just struggled to get #2 completed myself plus you turned the difficult Special Hobby A-20 into a masterpiece ( uh……I would not expect anything less 😉 ).  A big round of applause is well deserved. :yahoo:

Mike

Thanks Mike - it's a great little kit once you know its foibles. My build rate will slow down once I start my new job but it's been fun while it lasted!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Another cracker there Roger!
I’m still on the build I started in August….  There’s you with 5 under your belt in Feb….

Still early retirement beckons so my build rate may pick up a tad, but never to match yours!

Thanks very much Dave! My rate will surely slow now as I start a new job next week. 1 per month is my normal average!

4 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Well done.

Alain

Thanks very much Alain!

3 hours ago, bissyboat said:

Cracking pair of Bostons. 🙌

Thank you!

2 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Not just one nice Boston, but two.  Thanks for sharing both of them with us.  Great builds.

Thanks George - glad you like them!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mick b said:

Excellent as always Roger, great to see something slightly different.

Mike

Thanks for the kind words Mike - much appreciated!

Hi,

superbly built and painted. A very delicate model of an iconic bomber.

Congratulations!

JR

Nice models Roger; also nice photos too. Not seen these before. Brings back happy memories of my dad teaching me to drive on the RAF Swanton Morley peri track in the mid 1970s. 🙂

Rich

7 hours ago, jean said:

Hi,

superbly built and painted. A very delicate model of an iconic bomber.

Congratulations!

JR

Thanks for the kind words Jean!

6 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Sorry Roger,

I missed this one.

An absolute beauty, a stunner, a corker.

As always quality work and a very entertaining build thread.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair - you are most kind!

5 hours ago, RichG said:

Nice models Roger; also nice photos too. Not seen these before. Brings back happy memories of my dad teaching me to drive on the RAF Swanton Morley peri track in the mid 1970s. 🙂

Rich

Thanks very much Rich! A remote but nice part of the world...

4 hours ago, amos brierley said:

Super fast build…… soz I miss this one.

Whats better than one Boston?  A gaggle of Bostons 😃.

😉

Thanks very much Amos - is that the official title?! Or a Brace?

Cheers,

Roger