John Sizer drawings

rlucas

Hi all,

In my searching for drawings of a couple of drawings I found out a draftsman named John Sizer drew up some plans of planes I would like to model. Does anybody know a source that might have these plans available? There used to be SAMS in the UK, but they don't exist anymore.

Many thanks in advace,

Edited by rlucas
mistake

Years ago I bought his drawing of the Hawker Fury (Biplane), I have to say I was not that impressed - too much balsa and not very scale.

As far as I know he only published plans for flying scale models, in this case rubber power free flight.

There are a couple of his FF Rubber plans available on Outerzone.

There are better plans out there for most subjects - what you after?

M.

Edited by Malc2

15 hours ago, Malc2 said:

There are better plans out there for most subjects - what you after?

M.

That would have been my question, too, @rlucas. I adore good scale drawings, but have never come across John Sizer (which doesn't imply anything on the quality). But if he has done drawings for flying stuff, then they are in a corner of the market where I do not usually look.

AvNews had a sizeable range of drawings for interwar subjects, many by Ian Stair. Alf Granger also had an emphasis on interwar types.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 12:02 PM, rlucas said:

Hi all,

In my searching for drawings of a couple of drawings I found out a draftsman named John Sizer drew up some plans of planes I would like to model. Does anybody know a source that might have these plans available? There used to be SAMS in the UK, but they don't exist anymore.

Many thanks in advace,

If you name the types you're interested in, I will have a look in my collection. However, on the first sight, the name doesn't ring a bell. 

On 2/24/2023 at 10:59 PM, tempestfan said:

AvNews had a sizeable range of drawings for interwar subjects, many by Ian Stair. 

As has been noted before, the big problem with Av News drawings is that they have been electronically reproduced so many times that they have been distorted in the process, to the point where they bear only a passing resemblance to what originally came from the draftsman. The classic that springs to mind is the Av News Sunderland drawing. It looks really nice at first blush (and I'm sure that it WAS very nice when it came off the drawing board), but on my copy the keel on the underside plan wanders around like a road up the side of a mountain! The rest of the drawing shows similar distortion.

Hi all,

Many thanks for your replies! John Sizer did both; balsa flying model drawings but also failry large size scale drawings. Quality was slightly varied, the drawings you bought were large sized, like A2 paper size or so.

The one I was most after:

DH 37 Sylvia

Blackburn Cubaroo

De Havilland 11 Oxford

Blackburn Bluebird and Bluebird IV

Avro Aldershot

There are ofcourse some Putnam drawings, but I am looking for more detail if possible; the DH 37 Putnam doesn't have ribs drawn in or so. Many thanks if anyone has something in the way of good drawing son these!

16 hours ago, rlucas said:

DH 37 Sylvia

Blackburn Cubaroo

De Havilland 11 Oxford

Blackburn Bluebird and Bluebird IV

Avro Aldershot

Unfortunately, no type on your wishlist is in my collection and none appears to be published e.g. by Aviation News either.

16 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

As has been noted before, the big problem with Av News drawings is that they have been electronically reproduced so many times that they have been distorted in the process, to the point where they bear only a passing resemblance to what originally came from the draftsman. The classic that springs to mind is the Av News Sunderland drawing. It looks really nice at first blush (and I'm sure that it WAS very nice when it came off the drawing board), but on my copy the keel on the underside plan wanders around like a road up the side of a mountain! The rest of the drawing shows similar distortion.

This is why I collected - over the years - paper originals of the plans on my wishlist. Some may be yellowed and quite fragile, but they are still useful.

aviation-news.jpg

• Like 1

I wish I knew of a source of John Sizer's drawings.

He was an aircraft engineer and design draughtsman who lived in Lowestoft until his death in 2002. He produced more than 100 detailed drawings with dimensions and sometimes wing sections, mostly at 1/20 scale. His plans for flying models were much fewer. Both kinds used to be available through SAMS (I have the full list) but I've seen no sign of them since.

I have copies of his drawings of the Nieuport London, Gloster Gannet, Gloster IV, a separate drawing of the Gloster IVa and IVb, and the Gloster VI. The London drawing is fairly basic but the Gloster ones look pretty good.

For the record he was born in 1913 and apprenticed to Blackburn at Brough. By 1939 he was at Hamble working for Folland. He designed the systems for the Folland 43/37 up to the firewall and is quoted in Philip Jarrett's article on the type in the Nothing Ventured series (Aeroplane Monthly June 1991). This involved working between Hamble, Eastleigh, Cheltenham and Staverton and liaising with Gloster, where Henry Folland had been chief designer.

He went to the USA for the Air Ministry after WW2, later joined Bristol and was on the Brabazon's first flight in 1949. Any more information would be very welcome.

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2023 at 1:00 AM, Patrik said:

Unfortunately, no type on your wishlist is in my collection and none appears to be published e.g. by Aviation News either.

This is why I collected - over the years - paper originals of the plans on my wishlist. Some may be yellowed and quite fragile, but they are still useful.

aviation-news.jpg

Mine were gathered in the same way. The originals had gone through at least one (and probably more) electronic reproduction process (even if it was just photocopying) before they made it into print. There's no way to know how distorted they are without putting a straight-edge and square over them - and doing that might terrify you!

• Like 1

Unless the copy was done by taking a picture, any distortion is likely to be unequal "stretching" of the document by the reproduction and/or printing process. This is easily checked by determining the scale consistency of major dimensions both horizontally and vertically. With respect to the multi-view drawing above, that is easily done even though the dimensions are not shown by comparing the overall length of the top and bottom views. They should be the same.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Unless the copy was done by taking a picture, any distortion is likely to be unequal "stretching" of the document by the reproduction and/or printing process. This is easily checked by determining the scale consistency of major dimensions both horizontally and vertically. With respect to the multi-view drawing above, that is easily done even though the dimensions are not shown by comparing the overall length of the top and bottom views. They should be the same.

A minor caveat to that. Check what the dimension is actually quoting. It often depends on the A/C manufacturer or user. For tail draggers, for example, it can be tail up, (i.e. length projected on to the longitudinal axis), or tail down, (i.e. length projected on to the horizontal plane with the A/C on its wheels). Sometimes ancillary items such as pitot tubes are not included. I have also come across spans quoted which are the true span, (i.e. measured along the dihedral), and not the projected span on to the horizontal plane.

Showing my age, but I remember the mantra that was drummed into me: "Never measure from a blueprint!"

Peter M

Edited by Magpie22
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

A minor caveat to that. Check what the dimension is actually quoting. It often depends on the A/C manufacturer or user. For tail draggers, for example, it can be tail up, (i.e. length projected on to the longitudinal axis), or tail down, (i.e. length projected on to the horizontal plane with the A/C on its wheels). Sometimes ancillary items such as pitot tubes are not included. I have also come across spans quoted which are the true span, (i.e. measured along the dihedral), and not the projected span on to the horizontal plane.

Showing my age, but I remember the mantra that was drummed into me: "Never measure from a blueprint!"

Peter M

Yes - more here on that: https://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2012/05/accurate-three-view-drawings.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few of John Sizer's drawings, including the Gloster IV.

Haven't looked at them for a good while...

Some of them are great, some less so, as mentioned above.

The SARO Cloud for example, as sold by SAMS, consists of side and top elevations with a good interior layout but no front elevation.

Far from useless but very frustrating!

I also have a drawing of the DH 37 Sylvia, although I can't remember if it's by John Sizer or Roy Tassell.

I'll dig them out of the archive and reply here in due course.

@rlucas and @TimK

I have found the supplier who took over SAMS model business and the good news is they have the following (all?) John Sizer scale drawings available to purchase.

The company is called The Vintage Model Company (VMC), they currently don't have the plans listed on their website but will send them out by request as they are still sorting through the stuff they have acquired. There are a lot more plans than I thought there would be! I have asked what the 'Avro Ty' is and am waiting for a reply.

https://www.vintagemodelcompany.com/

[email protected]

Here is their reply to my enquiry:-

These are all paper plans and will need to be scanned digitally.

If you let me know of any that interest you, I can get them scanned, printed and sent out to you.

Our standard price is £9.00 + shipping for a printed plan but we could probably do you a deal if you need many plans.

Gloster VI Schneider 1929-31

Westland ‘Lysander’ 1935

Parnall Pixie 1922

Austin Whippet 1919

Saunders Roe A-37 1939

Avro 562 Avis 1923 - 24

NDN-1 Firecracker

Sopwith Camel 1917

Warwick W4 Hot Canary

Avro Avian MK IVM

Perry Beadle Flying Boat 1913

Saunders Roe SRA1 Flying Boat