F-4D Phantom II early and late version?

Zacharias

Aires makes two versions of cockpit for Academy 1/48 F-4D Phantom II.

They make cockpit set 4630 for early F-4D Phantom II, and cockpit set 4622 for late F-4D Phantom II.

I know there very numerous upgrades to F-4D during its service, but have no idea what makes some 

F-4D early or  late version by Aires standards?

In other words how to choose between those two Aires F-4D cockpit sets? Any idea? 

I can only guess that the "late F-4D" cockpit would be useful for post-Vietnam birds, like the many  AF Reserve and ANG birds, modified a.o. with some additional sensors, i.e."herpes-nose"...

The "early F-4D would be then useful for Vietnam era birds...

Greetings

Diego

7 hours ago, Zacharias said:

Aires makes two versions of cockpit for Academy 1/48 F-4D Phantom II.

They make cockpit set 4630 for early F-4D Phantom II, and cockpit set 4622 for late F-4D Phantom II.

I know there very numerous upgrades to F-4D during its service, but have no idea what makes some 

F-4D early or  late version by Aires standards?

In other words how to choose between those two Aires F-4D cockpit sets? Any idea? 

If I were to do a Vietnam era F-4D 1966-1972, or one of the post-Vietnam jets that didn't get the digital scan converter mod (e.g. North Dakota ANG jets), early would be my choice. 

Otherwise, Active 1973+ and most Guard/Reserve F-4Ds (FY AF66-67) I'd go for late. 

HTH

Tony

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, will probably go with Vietnam/post Vietnam logic.

For anyone interested in F-4D, here is a great source about all updates F-4D got during its service life:

http://joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/f4_10.html

I could not find any mentioning or early and late F-4D classification in that text loaded with data and facts, so it is highly likely Aires followed that Vietnam/post Vietnam era logic, just as you all suggested.    

8 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Aerofax 4 should have a number of cockpit pics in differing configurations, and usually their captions were comprehensive. They should give you a clue about the visual differences of various mod states at given times.

That's the one I'm on about!