1275 GT part 1

von Race

I've got to admire not only your skill but your patience and persistence.  The Clubman is really starting to look the part now, superb work.

9 hours ago, von Race said:

I hope this update hasn't been to boring or redundant.

Boring? Redundant? How could it be either when it's put the smile on the face of both a little model Clubbie - & me too!! :)

Great stuff!

Keith

• Like 1

Looking at the fact that it appears to be on 10" Rostyles, I'd hazard a guess that it's an early one and the hydrolastic has failed...

IanJ

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all again for your encouragement and kind words. 

I should preface this update by first explaining a process I have been using, (and trying to get better at) when making or redoing panel accent lines or, body lines if you will.  (This, in regards to the 2 panel lines or scallops, on the bonnet of the Clubman.) Especially when trying to make them identical, left to right.  This process can be used with masking paper, such as Tamiya's Mask or just simply masking tape.

The process goes like this.....           

1. Cut mask roughly to the size you will be needing.

2. Peal the backing off and fold the mask back onto itself, using light pressure.  Adhesive side to adhesive side.

3. Trim design or desired shape

4. Gently and carefully separate the 2 pieces. It will take careful and precise knife work to get the two started, but does get easier with bit of practice. I use a #11 blade to get them started.

When using mask, I like the Tamiya paper as it separates relatively easily and retains enough adhesive to adhere to your piece.   

spacer.png     

Apply patterns to desired locations 

spacer.png

Cover the whole mess with the filler of your choice. .   (I needed to add a little extra around the park lamps also.)

spacer.png

Shape and sand smooth until the mask paper just breaks through.  (380 or 400 dry)

spacer.png

Remove mask and voilà, instant scallops..

spacer.png

Add a little primer.  (Admittedly this is a bad photo, and I got some lint in the primer, right in the apex of the left scallop, of all places. So a little wet sand with 600 is in order.)

spacer.png

The same process can be used with masking tape except you need to use 4 layers instead of 2. Tape does not release well when the adhesive sides are stuck together. ( hardly news to anyone here, right!)

Layer 1 and 4 become your mask, while 2 and 3 are scrap. I like using this masking tape method when painting and want to insure pattern is the same from side to side.

spacer.png  spacer.png

If you have been doing this already, my hats off to you! It took me forever to figure this one out. And while I don't use this process often, it's a nice little trick to fall back on when you need it.

• Like 12

That is brilliant!  A very clever method to be tucked away in the back of the brain should it ever be needed.  Mind you, first I have to get my skills to something approaching this level and I don't think the sun's going to shine that long!  Thanks for sharing it with us.

5 hours ago, von Race said:

If you have been doing this already,

I haven't, would never even have thought of it! More excellent work Joe, the bonnet is looking brilliant!

34 minutes ago, Neddy said:

Mind you, first I have to get my skills to something approaching this level and I don't think the sun's going to shine that long! 

Ditto...!! :)

Keith

I would like to thank all of you that have followed along, especially Keith and Trevor for their valued contributions to this build. Everyone's comments have been positive and supportive, I thank you.

This is about where Part 1 of this conversion is going to end. I have some commitments coming up this spring that will be taking up most of my time. Quality bench time will be scarce.

So this being my first WIP, what do I do? Just drop it and create a Part 2? Or, do I just drag it up from the archives when the time comes to proceed?  Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction here.  While I know this Clubman isn't 3D perfect, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.   And, if this conversion seamed to go off without a hitch to you, rest assured, I had many "Oh no, what have I done" moments. 😩😟😳   A few times, the trash bin looked like the best way forward!  :swear:       I don't consider myself an especially gifted modeler, but I do enjoy this kind of challenge. It's the fun part of modeling for me. Painting and detailing is actually something I have to work at. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

I'm happy to have been able to leave some tips and tricks for you to try.  (As I have learned many from this forum as well!)  One thing about this hobby, there is always something new to learn.

spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

When I pick this build up again, I'm sure I'll have a tonne of questions.  As I had said previously, I have never actually seen a Clubman "in the flesh", and I don't know a whole lot about them, I just have a very specific build in mind. And, if you know anything about me, "it's gunna have some numbers on the doors"!   But we'll get to that later.  :wink:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Well done.  I think you have really captured the essence of a Clubman.  I owned one for three years, and was intimately aware of how the front differed from a normal mini.  Mainly because a large part of that time was under the bonnet (a bit more space) or repairing the front end after a bit of...hmm let's not go there!

• Like 2

That looks so good.   You have really captured the shape of the Clubman front.

Where to go now?  I suggest put part 1 to bed and start fresh with "1275 GT - The Sequel" once you can get back to your bench.  I, for one, will be waiting with great anticipation.  Enjoy your forthcoming commitments.

Trevor

• Like 1

6 hours ago, von Race said:

I don't consider myself an especially gifted modeler, but I do enjoy this kind of challenge. It's the fun part of modeling for me. Painting and detailing is actually something I have to work at...

"Not an especially gifted modeller"?  You're 'avin' a larf mate.  That's as skillful, painstaking and innovative a piece of plastic-craft as I've ever seen.  It was a real pleasure to watch it take shape and the end result is just stunning - a real achievement.  It will be good to see this as a completed model at some point in the future.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Neddy said:

"Not an especially gifted modeller"?  You're 'avin' a larf mate. 

What Neddy said....!! Who needs 3D printers when you have the old school skills to turn out a model like that - it looks stunning! 

I really wish I had the skills to do the same!

If it were me I'd just keep this thread going with a change of title, then we'd all know when you restart it. If you do start a new thread please put a link to it in here - for some reason I don't seem to get notifications of all new threads starting, don't know if others might be the same.

Congrats on making a cracking clubbie from the most unlikely of sources! 

3 hours ago, malpaso said:

Mainly because a large part of that time was under the bonnet

I know that feeling...!! 🤣

Keith

• Like 2

Got agree that this looks excellent (apart from the big hole in the roof ;) ) and very like a Clubman to my eyes. I can't offer any direct experience of a Clubman though as the only one in my family was an estate which a few years before I was born was directly responsible for my Dad switching to to a lifetime of buying Datsuns/Nissans.

As for the thread, my thoughts are the same as Keiths - just pick up where you left off. If you look at any of my build threads from the last 2-3 years you'll see they start off with painting the body, then there will be a hiatus of a few months before I pick it up again when I start the build proper. So I would say keep going with this thread, it also makes it much easier for anyone in the future coming back to look over how you did it if they want to follow in your footsteps.

• Like 1

Agreed Keefr22.    Its about time BMW brought out their own styled very small car.

How many more retro variations based on the old BMC mini style can you flog to death?

Actually, Fiat did the retro thing so much better with their 500. More in keeping with its diminutive original.

Bet they will know when to stop!

• Like 1