Avro Bison II +++ Finished +++

CliffB

Hi all.  My entry will be this 1/200 scale Avro Bison - a white metal kit produced by the late and lamented Shed Models.

P1130529.jpg

The Bison was a purpose built fleet spotter/reconnaissance aircraft that served initially with the RAF and then with the FAA, from 1922 to 1929.  Some were shore based, whilst others were ship borne.  All were incredibly ugly!

P1130530.jpg

My second-hand kit has a few issues, with some minor damage and missing parts.  It also lacks its instruction sheet, just to make it harder to identify which parts have gone AWOL :winkgrin:.

On the plus side though, it has decals!

P1130531.jpg

I'm particularly looking forward to this one :)

Cheers

• Like 11

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looks a really interesting kit Cliff, certainly a new one on me both maker and subject. 

Good luck mate :like:

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat.  I'm a relatively new convert to the "one true scale" and am enjoying picking up these oddities when they pop up on eBay.  I'm still surprised by the range of esoteric subjects out there.

• Like 1

OoKay.
This is a bit different -never heard of the lit manufacturer, and don't really know the inter-war ship aircraft except for their looks - pretty sure the design committees were responsible for the camel.

Will watch with interest

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

OoKay.
This is a bit different -never heard of the lit manufacturer, and don't really know the inter-war ship aircraft except for their looks - pretty sure the design committees were responsible for the camel.

Will watch with interest

Thanks Robert.  Shed Models were produced in Norfolk by a gentleman called Chris Sayer, allegedly in his garden shed.  They're amongst the best quality 1/200 metal kits.

I've made four so far, with 15 more (plus the Bison) in my stash.  There are some cracking subjects there, if you like the less mainstream.

P1130537.jpg

P1130538.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again everyone.

With my 'Big in Japan' build finished, it's time to move on to my Recce bird mammal.

Having now had a chance to look at photos of the original, I've managed to work out where all the struts are supposed to go and the good news is that my kit only has a couple of missing/damaged pieces (I'd feared worse).

• the front, port cabane strut had been snapped off and gone AWOL.
  • one of the two rubber tyres was missing.

Having given the main parts a good clean (using wire wool and cellulose thinners), I replaced the missing strut with some brass rod.  It's the one furthest from the camera.

P1130557.jpg

I also managed to buy some replacement tyres from eBay.  Here's the pack, along with the top wing successfully balanced on its full compliment of cabane struts :).

P1130558.jpg

The 2x1 tyre size means that the rubber is 1mm thick and the hole size is 2mm. So everything here is pretty small.

Cheers

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Col. said:

Small perhaps Cliff but perfectly formed as the saying goes.

Thanks Col.

I've got the u/c on now (without tyres), and priming is finished.  Time to break out some colours :)

P1130559.JPG

Cheers

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 12:31 PM, Col. said:

Nice paintwork Cliff.

Thanks Col. :)

The decals and detailed painting are now finished, and the new rubber tyres fit OK.

spacer.png

As befitted its recce role, the Bison had large cabin windows that would not look out of place on a house.  These are provided as decals, which include the prominent black framework of the original.  The glazing itself is represented in shades of pale blue and white, which looks a little odd to my eyes.  Things look better though, when obscured by the upper wing ;).

P1130564.jpg

Apparently, the Bison's deep fuselage was designed to allow the crew to stand upright within the cabin.

The next job will be to do battle with the struts...

spacer.png

Cheers

• Like 6

Unexpectedly, I ended up with a free afternoon today.  So I've cracked on and finished the Bison.  The struts and rigging were fiddly, but hassle-free :).

P1130572.jpg

spacer.png

Thanks as always to those of you who've supported this build and especially to @Col. and @Scargsy for hosting :cheers:

Cheers

• Like 9

• CliffB changed the title to Avro Bison II +++ Finished +++
4 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

I only now appreciated the miniature size of this when I saw the photo with the humbrol tin! It's amazing the neatness and detail you have managed in such a tiny model.

Thanks Arthur, that's much appreciated.  Credit's due too, to the gentleman who created the beautiful little kit :worthy:

Cheers

• Like 1