Polish Sherman IIa (M4A1 76mm) 'Flying Cow' 1:72

Pedro1

I've a keen interest in the Polish 1st Armoured Division as they were one of the main components of the Allied forces that liberated the Southwest of the Netherlands. They were also one the the few Allied units that used the Sherman IIa (M4A1 76mm) in addition to their Sherman Vc Fireflies. Several of these tanks ended the war in Wilhelmshaven in Northern Germany. One that caught my eye had a cartoon of a flying cow painted on the hull.

I used  a reboxing of the Dragon M4A1 (76mm) to build this model. The 'Flying Cow' decals were not included in the boxing I had, but a fellow board member on the Braille Scale Discussion Group had a spare that he kindly sent me. Painted with Tamiya TS28 with Vallejo colours for the details. Weathered with a black-brown pin wash and Tamiya's weathering set. The stowage is from Black Dog and the figure came from MIG.

I hope you like it.

Peter

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Great model! Congratulations!

I'm even more happy with this model as I'm a Pole and a dedicated fan of the 1st Polish Armour Division. This amazing unit, led by Gen. Stanisław Maczek, was the first Polish fully motorised unit, initially as 10th Motorised Cavalry Brigade, fought since very beginning on 1st September 1939, through 1940 France, and never suffered any major defeat (in 1939 was evacuated with equipment to Hungary after Soviet invasion on 17th September, and in France left its tanks only after using all the available fuel and evacuated personnel to Britain), to Normandy, sealing of the Falaise pocket and finally Belgium and Netherlands liberation and fights in Northern Germany.

On 2/22/2023 at 10:26 AM, Pedro1 said:

They were also one the the few Allied units that used the Sherman IIa (M4A1 76mm) in addition to their Sherman Vc Fireflies. Several of these tanks ended the war in Wilhelmshaven in Northern Germany.

Precisely, initially in 1944 in France the Division used mostly Shermans V and Vc (Firefly), and later these tanks intended to be all replaced by Shermans II... but the crews preferred British 17-pounders of Fireflys over US 76mm guns of Sherman II. As a result, Division half-legally retained some of the Sherman Fireflys in addition to the "official" Shermans II. Speaking of the Firefly variants, in June 1944 Division had 23 Sherman Vc and 2 Sherman Ic, but later got more and more Ic Hybrid tanks, as the Shermans I had the same engines as Sherman II (and very different than Sherman V!), resulting in 23 Shermans Ic Hybrids and only 15 Sherman Vc in April 1945.

Again, congratulations for a very cool model!

G.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1