Looking for info Chipmunk No. 8 AEF circa 1992-3

neillydone

hello I've got the Airfix new chipmunk rising slowly to the top of my build pile and would like to do it in the scheme of No. 8 Air Experience Flight of (I think) RAF Stafford in the early nineties.

can anyone point me in the good direction of suitable references (online or a decent book) particularly with codes or crest that I'd need to apply? I have already done a bit of digging and see that there is one photo of the same flight but from the 1960s. I'm also aware of the Hannants decal sheet.

grateful for any assistance anyone can provide and good evening to you!

Sorry, it wouldn't let me attach text to the photos(!). I hope these photos help you.

It would seem that 8 AEF only applied the Winged "8" badge to Chipmunks in this colour scheme very late on - these photos are from the PFA Rally at Cranfield in 1995, yet I have 1994 photos that don't show the badge applied.

Never heard of a Stafford connection. 8 AEF have been shunted back and to between Cosford and Shawbury over the years but not Stafford. RAF Stafford if memory serves wasn’t an airfield but was home to the Tactical Supply Wing from the early 70’s. The only flying was the odd helicopter dropping in for fuel. It’s of no use to you what so ever but I do remember they had a rather nice Javelin on the gate back in the day. Haven’t got a clue what’s going on there today.

Here's a lovely photo of 8 AEF and Birmingham UAS Chipmunks at Shawbury taken, I believe, in the winter of 1974/1975. The aircraft on the LHS are from 8 AEF - not a winged "8" in sight! I believe when their aIircraft were repainted in the Red/White/Grey scheme(s) the badge was deleted.

I could (and have previously) bang on about this photo; there are four different colour schemes present.

8 AEF and Birmingham UAS Shawbury 1973-75

• Like 1

@Rod Blievers

Do you have any idea about the differences in the anti-glare panels on Chipmunks? 

Some, as in your pictures above, have a large radius/curve at the forward end of the cowl, where the black area goes from horizontal and curves up over the nose, whereas other chipmunks have a sharp angle, see below. 

https://flic.kr/p/9n7jNw

It's a classic case of checking reference photos! As you noted, there are many variations, although the panels on the R/W/G Chipmunks were more or less similar (although some had sweeping curves; others were quite angular). Notice how the Chipmunk 4th from the right and the other at the RH end have the lower edge of the panel as a straight edge from the spinner that the goes back to incorporate the first vertical canopy frame.

• Like 1