Wallop Spitfires

HAAFPhot

Afternoon 

I have a pair of Tamiya Mk1 Spitfires (1:48).

Being associated with Wallop I am after markings for 234, 238 or 609 which I believe were based at EGVP during the Battle. 

Any recommendations welcome (apart from should have bought the Eduard Mk1...😳🙄😆).

TIA. CBA

53 minutes ago, JackG said:

may be a bit tricky fitting in a 234 squadron Spitfire as they were mainly flying Hurricanes when stationed at Wallop

238 were on Hurricanes as far as I know, but I thought 234 were using AZ coded Spitfires while at Middle Wallop, including the well-known N3277 / AZ-H which ended up in Luftwaffe hands in France. 

DK Decals did X4036 / AZ-D, which you might find somewhere or can back-order https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/DKD48018

Or for 609, as Eduard provided decals for R6690 / PR-A  (F/O John Dundas) in one of their boxings I suggest you pop over to the Sales & Wants section and ask someone who's got them in the spares box.

Apart from that you're probably looking for one of

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

238 were on Hurricanes as far as I know, but I thought 234 were using AZ coded Spitfires while at Middle Wallop, including the well-known N3277 / AZ-H which ended up in Luftwaffe hands in France. 

DK Decals did X4036 / AZ-D, which you might find somewhere or can back-order https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/DKD48018

Or for 609, as Eduard provided decals for R6690 / PR-A  (F/O John Dundas) in one of their boxings I suggest you pop over to the Sales & Wants section and ask someone who's got them in the spares box.

Apart from that you're probably looking for one of

Many thanks. 238 apparently formed on Spitfires at Tangmere so that’s probably where the confusion arose. Did I read that they flew out of Wallop during the Battle? Have to have another mooch. Much appreciated. I found the DK one and put it on my list before asking so great minds. Nice one. Quite a lot of reference to 234 Spitfires at EGVP so all food for thought.

31 minutes ago, AndyL said:

I can suggest two 234 Squadron Spitfires - X4036 AZ-D and N3327 AZ-H

Also attached are images of 609 Squadron Spitfires flown by David Crook. PR-L is R6699 and PR-G is R6961. Hope this helps.

tMQE0qs.jpg

8qy4992.jpg

FIbJ4Nb.jpg

Thanks Andy, food for thought chap👍

Edited by HAAFPhot

For those who don't do jargon - "EGVP" is the post-war ICAO designation for Middle Wallop airfield. "The Battle" is (I assume) the Battle of Britain. And the ICAO didn't exist until post-war so this thread may cause a lot of confusion to those who might otherwise be able to help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hannants have the following decals:

DK Decals DK48018 - will let you do AZ-D, X4036, usually flown by Bob Doe. You can also cobble together AZ-Q, X4009, flown by Pat Hughes. Both 234 Sqn

Possum Werks PW48004 - Has two aircraft flown by John Dundas (609 Sqn), but they messed up a bit. The codes are in Sky not Medium Sea Grey (MSG), wrong font for the a/c code letter, and missing artwork for ‘Q’.

Note 609 Sqn a/c also usually carried the a/c code on the nose. R6699, while often associated with David Crook, was usually flown by John Curchin.

Edit: the Aeromaster sheets in the link above have the artwork for PR-Q, but again have the font wrong for the ‘Q’ which appears to be more oval in a photo of the a/c, differing from the font of the Squadron codes. Also, their interpretation of MSG appears to be a bit dark.

Edit 2 : I think Ultracast have been known to have old Aeromaster decals sheets, but for a bit more than when first released.

Edited by Peter Roberts

21 hours ago, AndyL said:

@HAAFPhot I've had a rummage in my spare decals box and I have PR-Q R6690 from the old Aeromaster sheet if you want it.

Thanks mate much appreciated. Tried dropping you a PM but it appears to be a problem 😳

Edited by HAAFPhot

18 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

For those who don't do jargon - "EGVP" is the post-war ICAO designation for Middle Wallop airfield. "The Battle" is (I assume) the Battle of Britain. And the ICAO didn't exist until post-war so this thread may cause a lot of confusion to those who might otherwise be able to help.

Apologies. EGVP and Wallop mean the same to us. Only one airfield in the “Wallops” (gently rolling land) and you assume correct with the Battle. Talking of Wallop based Spitfires could it have meant much else....😳  Unless of course...ah well never mind😆

Edited by HAAFPhot

17 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Hannants have the following decals:

DK Decals DK48018 - will let you do AZ-D, X4036, usually flown by Bob Doe. You can also cobble together AZ-Q, X4009, flown by Pat Hughes. Both 234 Sqn

Possum Werks PW48004 - Has two aircraft flown by John Dundas (609 Sqn), but they messed up a bit. The codes are in Sky not Medium Sea Grey (MSG), wrong font for the a/c code letter, and missing artwork for ‘Q’.

Note 609 Sqn a/c also usually carried the a/c code on the nose. R6699, while often associated with David Crook, was usually flown by John Curchin.

Edit: the Aeromaster sheets in the link above have the artwork for PR-Q, but again have the font wrong for the ‘Q’ which appears to be more oval in a photo of the a/c, differing from the font of the Squadron codes. Also, their interpretation of MSG appears to be a bit dark.

Edit 2 : I think Ultracast have been known to have old Aeromaster decals sheets, but for a bit more than when first released.

Thank you Peter. Much appreciated .The DK 48018 I was aware of but it’s out of stock with Hannants currently👍 I will look about.

Edited by HAAFPhot
  • Like 1