It’s BLUE!, oh no it’s BLUE

Great great portrayal of the F-4J(UK). The blue tinge on the fuselage looks just right although, to my eye, its a bit more pronounced on the wing and does not look quite right for some reason. Notwithstanding, a superb take on the subject and like others, I really admire the brake chute.

Well Done, Sir !

• Like 1

Whooo, that's VERY nice! Parachute is a great touch and very well done. Also the colours look spot on. Well researched and great execution. Crew figures actually look alive as well, which is a fresh idea 😂

• Haha 1

Awesome!  Everything about it looks great.  I never saw a live phantom in these colors, but it looks like the photos that I have seen.  I imagine that it's a difficult color to replicate.  There was a short discussion about the 3D printed drag chute on Hyperscale recently.  That particular manufacturer did not include the chute packing bag or the smaller drogue chute (white on yours).  Thank you for posting the photos and showing how well the drag chute can look on a finished kit.

• Like 1

Hello Speedy,

Super diorama in every way, including the photography. This is exactly what it is all about. It starts with a detailed study of the subject on hand. Make's it much more interesting. Besides that, it enables you to answer,  questions when you are participating in modeling events. During the construction, you know exactly what is passing through your hands. Or details that are missing on the airframe, can be corrected.  All in all, your project is something to be very proud of.

Regards, Orion.

• Thanks 1

That's it: I declare myself officially an amateur.. what a great build! Even while zooming in on the pictures it looks realistic.  Next problem is: I really want a drag Shute now. 

Edited by Fred piket
Misspelling
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. There is actually not much out there about the Brit Js’. I purchased a couple of magazines for the snippets referenced and even one of my RAF years books had a piece but nothing meaty. Website and the usual search engine and zooming in, which I suspect we all do. Even my wife has asked "why is it blue" and then when I found a website including 50 shades of blue, there was a raised eyebrow!.

The parachute comes with the bag and an option to purchase the lines which are carbon rods. I had problems gluing the rods to the parachute as there was not enough contact patch, so i sanded back the ends of the lines flush to the parachute. They then glued and stayed connected. The parachute is quite soft and will flex in handling. My main problem was gluing the carbon lines to the main rod. I kept ending up with a Hay bales that looked like they'd been tied by hand. So the second attempt was wire locking. I used very thin gauge locking wire that we used to use on fire extinguishers on aircraft and that brought everything together and superglued. The small parachute is paper mache moulded over the end of a rounded pen. At low speeds this deflates to a hanging pose.

Anyway I used these sites

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/135568/M/UK-Air-Force/McDonnell-Douglas-F-4J-UK-Phantom-II/ZE352/

https://bpag.co.uk/gallery

https://3d-chute-expert.myshopify.com/

Edited by speedy
  • Like 4

Absolutely brilliant! The paint job is fantastic and really like the pilots pose ... and with the chute, a realistic looking finish.  👌 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

Outstanding, I like the heat effect on the tail!

My uncle was on Phantoms in the RAAF so I've sent him a link to this thread.

Don't know if he'll be able to open it, he's 82, it but I bet he'd be impressed!

• Like 1

Phantastic Phantom you have built and finished in a very unique livery.  I have never seen a display with a drag chute deployed.  It seems so appropriate now that I have seen it done.  With the crew figures and the drag chute displayed it makes for a very outstanding diorama that tells a story in a dramatic fashion.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1