Current Tamiya 1/35 AFV Best

Ray_W

Tamiya has been releasing some interesting (for me) 1/35 subjects of  late. I have really enjoyed their latest 1/48 aircraft and thought I might dip my toe back in the water for what is rated as the current Tamiya "best" 1/35 scale. It may be an older Tamiya kit, still not knocked off its best pedestal.

How do I define "best"? Really all round best for assembly and accuracy similar to the experience delivered from their recent 1/48 P-38, F-14 and F-4B. All superb. Tamiya is pushing the envelope in 1/48 aircraft (probably also armour) with high detail, accuracy and buildability. Accuracy for me is important. Not so much rivet counting but size, shape and bulk details should be correct for the variant in this case OOB

So what do you think? Tamiya 1/35, any era, any country. Does not necessarily need PE, which I do not have any issue with but it is good to get a break from the micro-detail, multiple parts breakdown of recent kits from other suppliers. Although, some aftermarket may be recommended.

Thoughts?

Ray

Agree with John @Bullbasket regarding the M4A3E8. I'd like to add the recent Panzer IV as it goes together really well with the right amount of detail and the link & length tracks are a doddle to build. The new Comet looks great un the box too 👍

Regards,

steve

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

The new Comet looks great un the box too

It was the Comet that got me thinking. I saw it at the LHS and thought very nice.  I know the M4A3E8 has good reviews also as John @Bullbasket has said although I am working through RFM's version at the moment. What's the kit number of the Panzer IV  you refer to?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

What's the kit number of the Panzer IV  you refer to?

This one..

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-35378-panzerkampfwagen-iv-ausf-g-sdkfz-161-1--1328415

Some of the parts are from an earlier release, mid 90's i think but still good.

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ray,

My Tamiya 1/35 recommendations. All recent new-tool kits that I've built, and all with excellent figures too:

Panther Ausf D

Panzer IVF/G - short or long barrel

Jagdpanzer IV

Sherman M4A3E8

Valentine Mk II/IV

Matilda Mk II

Achilles 17pdr SP

Best wishes,

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have built several of the newer-tooled Panzer IIs -Polish (35299) and French (35292)Campaigns and they are very nice and seemingly underrated little kits.  I don’t use the link-and-length tracks that they come with, but they look good.  Only critique is that the turret roof lacks some rivet detail. One note-on the older 35292 French kits, the idler is all wrong.  They corrected it in the Polish version and apparently have included the corrected parts in newer issues of 35299, but the instructions still illustrate the wrong part(!).  If you have the Polish kit/35299, you can build just about every variant from the Ausf. c to the Ausf. C. Parts to make  an Ausf. c are on the sprues vision ports, front plate, driver’s visor, etc, but they go unused in both versions…

Their BT-7 kits are sleepers as well and also quick builds.

52596456251_070fa7fd58_b.jpg

Edited by f matthews
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looks like anything in the 2000's. Maybe I should of said what out of the current crop would you not buy?

I remain very tempted by the new Comet. I want to use their link and length and give myself a break, Why? 🤔 Following two images may illustrate. Lovely, but ........

BM M4A3E8 WIP16

BM M4A3E8 WIP47

I understand Tamiya has the modelled the track around the wrong way and will need correction (seems you can reverse it with minimal work) and I will not be able to resist re-doing the grab handles. Still, a break from complexity while getting great results would be nice.

Ray

Hi All,

my Tamiya 1/35 recommendations are:

Sdkfz 9 famo with trailer

Elefant

Matilda Mk II

Panzer IVF2

Kettenkraftrad

Steyr 1500

Jagdtiger

but my opinion does not have any value as I was born as a modeller in 1973 with her Sdkfz 251, Kubel and Bmw sidecar so I'm sentimentally and indissolubly fastened to Tamiya 😇🤩.

Ciao 

Filippo 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Tamiya's new Comet and Pz IV L70(A) are very nice. I have both in the stash, but yet to build.

The new Panzer IV F2/G is also an engineering marvel, and nicely detailed, but easy to construct with a little patience. 

• Like 1