Hasegawa/Hales Grumman F9F-8 Cougar - with guest appearances of a Grumman F9F-2 Panther. ++FINISHED++

With my Kuta 2022 build heading towards it's conclusion and having quite a lull before the start of the first GB that I had signed up to, I thought that I would jump in with this old Hasegawa/Hales kit. I also have the same manufacturers F9F-2 Panther which is way beyond the 25% rule but you may get to see it lurking in the background as this build progresses. 

52699137043_388ff9ee6e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Here are spues A and B,

52699137153_09987c4d0f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Sprue C, the clear parts and a shiny coated decal sheet, so not too many parts.

52698907399_0c11879fbe_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

It will probably be a week or two before I get down to this at full pace but it should give me time to see what other decals are about,

Cheers

John

• Like 12

• nimrod54 changed the title to Hasegawa/Hales Grumman F9F-8 Cougar
17 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

I probably be a week or two before I get down to this at full pace but it should give me time to see what other decals are about,

Cheers

John

Hi John,

I built a similar vintage one a few weeks ago in the Sea Dog GB - nice kit and builds up well. As for decs - mine just about worked with a coat of clear varnish, except for the thin bits of the red flash intended to go on the sides of the refueling probe, I did look on Hannants for decs and all I could find was for an early blue one.

If you are a stickler for accuracy there are a few problems with the paint scheme and markings on the VF-81 option in the kit as I mentioned in my thread.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great choice John

Seeing the Hales brand appearing is a real blast from the past.

Good luck with this one 

Cheers Pat 

Same here Pat,

Hales, like Riko (Richard Kohnstamm)  were I believe early importers of Japanese and other "foreign" kits etc and helped establish the likes of Hasegawa and Tamiya in the UK market back in the late 1960's through the 1970's. I have built several Hales boxings in the last 2 or 3 years. Kohnstamm went on to take over Beatties model shop and set up a chain - long gone now they are missed, at least by me as pretty much all my Lima locos and rolling stock came from their Cardiff, Leeds, Bristol, Manchester and London shops as did quite a few of my Hasegawa/Fujimi plane kits and I saved a lot of money on them using their "price match" scheme.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, PeterB said:

Kohnstamm went on to take over Beatties model shop and set up a chain - long gone now they are missed, at least by me as pretty much all my Lima locos and rolling stock came from their Cardiff, Leeds, Bristol, Manchester and London shops as did quite a few of my Hasegawa/Fujimi plane kits and I saved a lot of money on them using their "price match" scheme.

Pete

I bought most of my Hornby-Minitrix N gauge locos (sadly, all packed away in the loft now) from their Manchester branch. Another favourite haunt was  The Model Shop on Deansgate which became ModelZone and closed a good few years ago.

John

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

Another favourite haunt was  The Model Shop on Deansgate which became ModelZone and closed a good few years ago.

Always popped in there on the way out of Manchester, good people and lots of good kits - sad when it finally closed down.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I bought most of my Hornby-Minitrix N gauge locos (sadly, all packed away in the loft now) from their Manchester branch. Another favourite haunt was  The Model Shop on Deansgate which became ModelZone and closed a good few years ago.

John

Hi John.

So the one in Deansgate has gone too - I bought the majority of my Profile Publications from there when passing through Manchester. The Beatties was next to Central Station as I recall?

Better let you get on with your model now😄.

Pete

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

The Beatties was next to Central Station as I recall?

It may have been at one time Pete, but when I was going into Beatties back in the mid - late 70's their store was in Spring Gardens which is just off Market Street. I think that it may be a Tesco Express now - other supermarkets are available. :lol:

John

My memory is probably playing tricks - all I can remember is that in the early 1970's I thought it was fairly close to the station where I caught a train to Chester for a job interview - it was not Victoria/Exchange as intended as the person giving me times over the phone had apparently forgotten the summer timetable was to come into force that day and the one I expected to catch was no longer running so I legged it across town - so perhaps it was Piccadilly as I now recall Central had been closed for some time back then. Spring Gardens sounds familiar! 

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

My memory is probably playing tricks

Maybe your memory is not as bad as you think Pete, this link to Beatties Review from 1967/8 gives their Manchester address as 28 Corporation Street, just up from Victoria, so if you had been misdirected you may well have come across it as you rushed across town. 

This link shows the store as I remember it Beatties - Spring Gardens, again if you were heading across to Piccadilly you would probably have travelled along Market Street passing Spring Gardens along the way.

Thanks for this pleasant journey down memory lane while I wait for some bits to arrive.

John

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Maybe your memory is not as bad as you think Pete, this link to Beatties Review from 1967/8 gives their Manchester address as 28 Corporation Street, just up from Victoria, so if you had been misdirected you may well have come across it as you rushed across town. 

This link shows the store as I remember it Beatties - Spring Gardens, again if you were heading across to Piccadilly you would probably have travelled along Market Street passing Spring Gardens along the way.

Thanks for this pleasant journey down memory lane while I wait for some bits to arrive.

John

Thanks John,

Yes it must have been Spring Gardens. Memory is a strange thing, particularly at my age - some (very few by now) things seem very clear but are probably wrong! The Bristol shop was down towards the river as I recall and the Leeds one where I bought the 1/700 Waterline Series HMS Hood was perhaps on The Headrow.

I will let you get on with your kit - have you decided which version you are going to do yet?

Pete

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PeterB said:

I will let you get on with your kit - have you decided which version you are going to do yet?

Pete

Not yet Pete, I have ordered a set of 3D decals for the cockpit and they should arrive tomorrow. I am trying to finish a 1/48 Sea Fury but I have to pick up some paint for the upper surfaces, so to fill the time I am painting details on a Union Cavalry set of figures from Masterbox's ACW range - it's a bit of a dress rehearsal for the Not in my Comfort Zone group build later in the year.

John

• Like 2

I made a bit of progress on this today, cleaning up the cockpit parts, painting them up with Xtracrylics Neutral Grey and once that had time to dry I added the 3D printed instrument decals. 

52717449742_df44d05926_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52717449802_c0f244636d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52717966891_cc22c43c91_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I still have to complete the seat and that will have belts from the same set with the final decal in the set being fixed to the port sidewall, I'll do that once I have glued the cockpit sub assembly in position.

John

• Like 10

I have painted up the seat and scratched a handle for the top from a small section of brass tube and wire. Once everything had dried I added the seatbelt decals before fixing it into the cockpit, that sub assembly is now ready to be glued into fuselage.

52728036378_e150ac91f4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52728036568_fd769fff96_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52727972700_6a43a72ff9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52727972750_d2b8a30ac4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 11

I have glued the cockpit sub-assembly into the fuselage and this has been put aside to set up. 

52730408760_babe14aab1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Some of you may remember at the start of this project that I said I also had the Hasegawa/Hales boxing of the F9F-2 Panther which I had started some time ago, however this had gone well beyond the 25% rule to be included but I would like to try and get this finished too. To that end this will make the odd appearance as this build progresses but will not be included in the gallery when completed, here is its debut showing.

52730479903_b36d758985_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers.

John

• Like 12

• nimrod54 changed the title to Hasegawa/Hales Grumman F9F-8 Cougar - now includes guest appearances of Grumman F9F-2 Panther.
  • 4 weeks later...

Fresh from a weekend away celebrating the Memsahib's birthday (21... again!!), I thought that it was time for a progress update. I left things with the fuselage having been glued together and this had the joins cleaned up. I have also fitted the intake parts to the starboard side and the wings have been glued up ready for fitting. The nosecone was filled with Liquid Gravity and glue, then everything was sealed in with a layer of blu-tack, taking extra care to keep that away from the glueing surface. 

52779257964_0232d65c92_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52779422155_a3e9cba286_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52779257764_d20009c8b0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52779481898_29c9849488_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I hope to fit the port intake parts later then, after checking the nose weight to avoid tail sitting, I can complete the wing/fuselage assembly.

John 

• Like 5

After finishing the intake asssembly yeasterday, the wings and fuselage went together with little issue, there were just a couple of small gaps that required a smear of filler and that was it job done. A spot of rescribing and some further assembly and painting around the cockpit to do today and it should be ready for some paint.

52781704975_7bdf049b80_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52781761543_e2e02e0f3e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Thanks for dropping in.

John

• Like 5

On 23/02/2023 at 12:35, Hockeyboy76 said:

Orange dayglo panels!!!! Perfect for your own can of pink primer!:deadhorse:

Good luck dude. 

"O" word ! :tmi: :door:

Looking terrific John, and delighted to see the Panther being completed at the same time :like:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

"O" word ! :tmi: :door:

Looking terrific John, and delighted to see the Panther being completed at the same time :like:

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat. H will be (un)happy to learn that there may be some orange involved but my precious can of the pink stuff will be staying firmly on the shelf. :lol: The Panther needs a bit more sanding to get that ready for paint.

Cheers

John

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

What??

I thought that would bring a reaction. I don't want to waste it on small bits of orange, I might need it for a big red bus or a 🚒 one day. 😄

• Haha 1