ICM 1/48 Gotha Go 242B #48225

Steve147

Hi All

If anyone is thinking of getting this kit, there are a few parts misprint in the instructions.  Also, in my kit anyway, there were no painting masks, even though they were shown in the instructions (I've contacted the supplier and ICM).

So the wrongly numbered parts are in sections 31-33, the parts are supposed to be H8, H12, H3 & H2; and in Section 42 part D19 (attaches to D12) should be D17.

Also, although the final paint versions show which decals are to be used, decals #1 and #2 are not shown where to be placed.  As it turns out decal #1 is the instrument panel and goes on E27, but I cannot see where decal #2 is supposed to go. It's a bit late if it goes inside the cockpit as I've completed that.

Finally, I would suggest that you place H8 and C3 on the front of fuselage (section 10) and before leaving it to dry, loosely place G12 in place so as to ensure proper fitting once Section 10 has completely cured.  

Finally, before placing G12, cement section 28 in place. I found it did not fit as shown in the instructions.  Eventually got it more-or-less in position.

There is no color call out for the internal parts, so assumed the cockpit and where the paratrooper sit, the floor is painted steel, and the controls painted steel with the handles in matt black and the base of parts E9 and E30 in khaki.

Trust this is all as clear as mud and makes sense.

Thank you.

• Like 1

""UPDATE""

So, I've near enough completed the kit (despite the misnumbered parts) and the kit WILL NOT stand on its wheels, as it requires a weight to hold the nosecone down. This too is not in the instructions.

If, like me, you want the rear part (section 61) attached in the raised position, so as to show the seating arrangement, placing a weight under the cockpit is relatively easy.  Just slide in some weights so that they drop in the well under the cockpit, until the nosecone doesn't lift up.  However, if you've gone for option 2 (section 62), you will have to put some sort of stand under the rear tail fin.

I haven't worked out how much weight, but reckon in the region of 20+g.  The weight would only be visible if you lift up and looked underneath the glider.  I use lead flashing, which I obtained from a local builders merchant.

I've run out of hair to pull out!!!

• Like 1

Steve, I have the 242A kit and step 25 actually states the add 15grams of weight under the cockpit floor. Mine did not come with masks either, which I will have to do some of my own as a A is somewhat different than a B version.

Thanks for replies.

@Holzhamer  I'll use a fine brush to paint round the windows and for the main canopy;

@DonM2.0 I've just double checked and there is nothing in the instructions about placing a weight, let alone the weight required.  Does your version say where Decal #2 goes? As I stated, Decal #1 is the instrument panel and all the other decals, from #3 onwards, are for the outside of the glider.  Its a small white decal with something written in German (I don't speak German) on it. 

14 minutes ago, Steve147 said:

Thanks for replies.

@DonM2.0 I've just double checked and there is nothing in the instructions about placing a weight, let alone the weight required.  Does your version say where Decal #2 goes? As I stated, Decal #1 is the instrument panel and all the other decals, from #3 onwards, are for the outside of the glider.  Its a small white decal with something written in German (I don't speak German) on it. 

If you can read it, type it (or part of it). I'm acceptably fluent in German 😉 If it reads "Vorsicht biem Offinen! Kühler ist im Haubenfetl eingebauf!" simply don't bother and dispose. (That's what Squadron made you believe the warning plate on a 109E lower cowling reads...)

Edited by tempestfan
Typo

My instructions never even said to apply decal #1 to the instrument panel. As far as I can see from Scalemates, yours doesn't either. Mine doesn't mention decal #2. I think I am going to put it on the side wall next to the pilot. as good a spot as any.

6 hours ago, Steve147 said:

@DonM2.0

As far as I can make out with a magnifying glass, the 3 lines of text read as follows:

Beivollem Fluggewicht

nur langsames Abfanung

und Andruckenzulasst

Many thanks

Per google:    "At full flying weight, only slow cushioning and pressure is permitted. "

for what its worthspacer.png

Probably "Bei vollem Fluggewicht nur langsames Abfangen und Andrücken zulässig" - "At full flying weight, only slow flare-out and push-down permitted." - push-down may not be the best translation, but the best I can come it with; the process of trading altitude for speed. As both instructions concern the use of controls for manoeuvers, the placard would be located somewhere in line of sight of the pilot if it was used. Indeed I have found a partial pic of its location in "Die Sturm- und Lastensegler", Luftfahrt Monographie LS2, p. 53 - it is located on a rather prominent, apparently trapezoidal panel directly below the tiny instrument panel.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tempestfan said:

it is located on a rather prominent, apparently trapezoidal panel directly below the tiny instrument panel.

@tempestfan

Think I might have a problem putting it there, as I've completed the cockpit and cannot access that part.

Thank you for the replies though.

Looking at the instructions, no part to put it on appears to be provided. I could take a pic of the relevant pic and post it, but I only have a rarely-used Village account, and I read somewhere that they have issues with their certificate. 

@tempestfan@DonM2.0

I received an email from ICM this morning.  Apparently you have to make your own masks from the template shown in the instructions. 

Decal #2 goes on the LH side of the upright part of D9, Section 18. As I've yet to fit the rear section (in raised position), I might be able to fit it. ICM state it's a warning label for the pilot.

Going back to the weight issue, I tried this morning to put some weights in, but no luck.  I'll rustle up some sort of rear support for it, using either some old clear plastic sprues, or those wooden stirrers you get with coffee at cafes.

I've just given it it's first coat of paint, so updating this while waiting for it to dry.

A nice one to be found here:

https://imagesdefense.gouv.fr/fr/le-cockpit-d-un-planeur-gotha-go-242-photographie-sur-le-terrain-d-heraklion-crete-1.html

as tempestfan wrote

"Bei vollem Fluggewicht nur

langsames Abfangen und

Andrücken zulässig"

or as Tom Walkinshaw put it with Dymo tape in his Jaguar XJ-S: "Stroke your pussy gently!"

4727866_2_1.jpg

The blank version

https://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/nachbau-geraetebrett-go-242-1

Go242_Russland.jpg

• Like 2