Beaufighter 1F R2069, 25 Squadron, September 1940, Tamiya 1/48

This is a backdate of the Tamiya VIF Beaufighter to depict R2069, one of the very first Beaufighters taken on strength by a frontline squadron in early September 1940. The most useful reference for this build was the Wingleader Photo Archive  as it contains very large and very clear photos of this airframe, and other early Beaufighters in squadron service. R2069 was photographed prior to the application of an individual plane in Squadron code letter and only carried the ‘ZK’ squadron codes. It seems to be traditional to depict this aircraft as ‘ZK-A’, but I couldn’t find confirmation of this from the references I could source, so I left it as depicted in the photos. It’s possible that this, and other early machines, had various bits and pieces added or subtracted as their service life progressed, but this is a case of modelling what was there ‘on the day’.

Early production Beaus, probably the first fifty or so, had significant visual differences from later IF’s or IC’s. They were not equipped, at least initially, with the .303 guns in the wings, and had a distinctive and more heavily framed cockpit canopy. The engines had short, squared off air intakes, with small piggybacked ducts which were apparently part of an early heating system. Because of this the exhausts also lack the twin air intakes seen on slightly later aircraft.

The wing leading edge oil cooler faces lacked the louvres and control rod seen on later aircraft. These were most probably added to later airframes to allow faster engine warm up with cold starts. Some early aircraft, R2069 being one, had a short mast directly ahead of the pilot’s canopy - I think this may be part of a fixed iron gunsight system. It shows on the early 25 Squadron airframes shown in the Wingleader Archive, and on some of the prototypes pictured in the book as well. R2069 was fitted, at the time of the photograph, with a VHF radio, with a mast underneath the nose. It lacks the usual dorsal mast associated with the earlier HF radio, and has no external aerial wires for either radio or IFF. The Wingleader photos do show that it had the wire aerial  anchor fitting attached to the fixed rudder, so I also modelled a cover plate for the missing HF aerial mast. I am also pretty sure from the photos that these early Beaus had slightly protruding teardrop style fairings for the belly identification lights. I did model the early drum feed for the cannons, but honestly, you can’t see them once the plane is zipped up. Everything else is typical of the Beaufighter IF - smooth cowlings, flat tailplane, early tailwheel, early wheel hubs, twin formation lights on the rudder, Rotol style prop spinners.  

Beyond the changes needed for a IF the Tamiya kit assembled itself, a real credit to the firm’s engineering given it dates from 1997. The excellent vacuform canopy came from Falcon and the kit cockpit outline needed a little reshaping for it to fit, the resin tailplanes are from Red Roo, the wheels from CMK, and I modified Red Roo resin oil cooler faces to the early style. I stole two Rotol spinners from Eduard Spitfire kits - they aren’t right but look more the part than the late war/post war spinners in the Tamiya kit. If I were to do another I would spend more time detailing the cockpit as it remains quite visible behind all those extra frames.

All paints are enamel Colourcoats, weathering was limited to a Flory grimewash to pick out the panels, some restrained chipping added by Silver pencil, and a bit of exhaust stain from Tamiya weathering pastel.  Oh, and Humbrol gloss oil stain, because it’s British and it wouldn’t look right without oil leaks. It was a very new aircraft at the time of photographing so forget paint fading etc. National markings are a mixture of new Airfix decals, Fundekals, and rudder stripes modified from a bigger 1/32 fin flash. Squadron Codes were painted as I couldn’t find anything to match in the spares box.

cheers

Steve

p?i=b5202da55def77c06c6548720e54b74c

p?i=207f7a1b46642931790839dd3855585b

p?i=a6889e83d6acf01b9b7ad89472646225

p?i=c3e632e985f9afba41fad913ea188b1c

p?i=864ba7d1b4a0338e8ff4e7af92762d02

p?i=40959058942ef660900e1ddf03993053

p?i=463862710f256df69dfa90f315e75963

• Like 42
  • Thanks 2

Ooh, I get to be first!  Congratulations, that's a nice, workmanlike build.  And your comments make me realize that I DO need to get a copy of that book, not to mention several others of theirs.  But I'll also come here for a quick summary of things to think about when doing my early Beau.

bob

A lovely crisp and clean build! Makes me think I need to build a few WWII era twins at some point if I can ever build enough of my stash!

Thanks for the kind comments. It was such an enjoyable build that I have another on order. This time it will be a night fighter in Special Night. Have always wanted to do a heavily weathered version of this paint scheme so look forward to a very scruffy black Beau!  I have the Aerocraft 3D early engines and cowlings on order also, and have located an old KMC ‘update’ backdate conversion with the flat tailplanes and more cockpit detail. I will leave the Revell version for now - here in Oz it retails for more than twice the price of the Tamiya kit. If Special Hobby ever get around to releasing  the promised 1/48 scale Merlin conversion for the Revell kit I will take the plunge. 

Steve