Fiat X1/9 in 1/20 by Bandai +++Finished+++

A bit of the background story to this kit. The year was late 1979, and I had barely started it when I was told that we were going to have to move for work reasons. That started 5 house moves in as many years and somewhere along the line, I thought that this kit had been lost, and I forgot all about it. Then, last Christmas I was in the attic sorting out the decorations when I came across a box that originally contained apples. Underneath a lot of old tat was my Fiat X1/9 -seeing the light of day for the first time in 42 years!

I guess it deserves to be bumped up the build queue.

Dave

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7

Yes!

Back in the day I tried to get hold of one of these for a sensible price - not a chance. I did end up with a 1/20 Stratos though so it wasn't all in vain. Looking forward to seeing some plastic in due course.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully my problems with posting photos are sorted now (my usual host no longer works and an alternative seems to have gone the same way).

A small daily amount of work has been going on -such as the radiator shown, although it won't be visible once completed.

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 4

I should point out that the kit came with optional parts to do it as a 'rally' version - a basic roll cage, bucket seats, spotlights etc. 

Back in 1979, I was intending to use all of these and started to fit the flared wheel arch extensions, which involved cutting away the original small wheel arches. Having done that to the front ones, I'd proceeded to brush paint the front half of the body yellow, just like the pictures on the side of the box. Revell Paint Remover has done a good job of getting rid of that rough yellow paint, and I've finished fitting all the wheel arches and now given the body a coat of primer.

The kit also came with the car's standard 'steel' wheels and skinny tyres, and the optional wider 'alloy' wheels (which are actually metal) and tyres.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dave 

• Like 5

Doing some online research into the ten year production life of the Fiat X1/9, it seems that hardly any two photos show the same paint colour . Likewise the interiors, wheels and bumpers, so the model is being done to my personal taste. After a protracted period in the model shop, I settled on a can of Tamiya TS-54 Light metallic blue. Due to the breakdown of the kit -opening doors etc., those parts were sprayed separately, but I'm quite happy with how they have turned out.

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 5

On 23/03/2023 at 23:13, AdrianMF said:

Looks good! Looks like a great kit, albeit in a strange scale.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, I'm really enjoying the build -even though some parts such as the radiator and centre console have been a pain to join. The instructions are a little vague at times, but it's fun figuring it out!

Dave

spacer.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looks terrific,  it will certainly be in better condition than most of the surviving full scale ones !

Cheers Pat

Thanks Pat.

For reference, I recently recorded an old episode of Car S.O.S. that featured an X1/9. However, tit was one of the last produced and here was very little that was the same as the kit, which is of a very early example. The restored car looked absolutely mint by the time the lads had finished it, but sadly the owner passed away just before completion.

Dave

• Like 1

17 hours ago, halcyonjet said:

Thanks Pat.

For reference, I recently recorded an old episode of Car S.O.S. that featured an X1/9. However, tit was one of the last produced and here was very little that was the same as the kit, which is of a very early example. The restored car looked absolutely mint by the time the lads had finished it, but sadly the owner passed away just before completion.

Dave

Hi Dave 

As a fellow classic car enthusiast it's one of my favourite programs.

Really sorry to hear the owner didn't get to see the finished build in that episode,  however seeing so many others who are more fortunate makes for a great program.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's proving to be a bit of a pain in the erm.... backside at times, as the kit can be lacking in locating pins and has some  awkward butt joints. However, there can be great satisfaction in overcoming those problems. The kit included lengths of tubing for hoses, and thin wire for spark plug leads. Sadly, age had caught up with them and they had become too brittle to use. A rummage through the drawer full of old electrical leads yielded some alternatives (or aftermarket upgrades if you like!).

Anyway, the engine and gearbox are now fitted to the chassis, and after a marathon session, so is the rear suspension.. I waited until the others had gone to bed before starting the suspension so as not to be disturbed.  It comes with metal lower suspension arms, wheelhub/upright and a spring for the shock absorber. Trying to  get everything in place, plus the driveshafts from gearbox to the hubs took me an hour and a half, having started at midnight. I thought it would be a 5 minute job! Just as well I was alone with all the cussing going on. Note the heat shielding made from a blister pack of prescription tablets.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The interior is all painted and starting to be installed, just trying to get a good photo.

Quite pleased with how a small water tank has turned out -painted with Off White and then the bottom half Smoke Blue.

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update with how it looks just before I left for a couple of weeks in Kefalonia. I had hoped to be finished , but things never quite go according to plan -the dashboard took several goes and some reinforcement adding (imagine butt joining thin plastic card and hoping it will keep in place) before becoming secure. Just the steering wheel, seats and the delicate gear stick and handbrake to complete the interior and then ready for the final push on my return.

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

The last day push to get it over the line...

It has become a battle of willpower with the kit seemingly determined  to remain a few individual parts. The doors for instance -the hinge has a small lip that connects it to the body shell. I tried various model cements and superglue before Gorilla glue seems to have worked. Similar problems with the boot lid and the windscreen have slowed progress, but now I just need to join the bodyshell and the floor pan (trapping the front suspension in between), then add the bumpers, lights and wheels.

Dave

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

• halcyonjet changed the title to Fiat X1/9 in 1/20 by Bandai +++Finished+++

Finally finished!  Have I enjoyed building it? On the whole -yes, but it has been stressful at times. One thing I have realised is the benefit of more modern paints such as clear red and orange for the lights. Anyway, having spent 44 years waiting in the attic, it can have its moment in the sun before the inevitable packing away into a shoebox and into storage.

spacer.png

Thanks for all the encouragement along the way

Dave

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Absolutely delighted to see this one finished,  congratulations :partytime:

Cheers Pat 

Not half as much as me! Thanks Pat

Dave

• Haha 1