Site very slow to load, more Service Unavailable screens

Been noticing frequent problems accessing the site of late - in the past week it seems to be getting worse. Slow loading times on first opening the site, or freezing during refresh, and Service Unavailable and 503 error messages particularly when navigating back to the homepage.

I use a VPN (which hasn't posed any problems before) and mostly access the site through Chrome for Android on a Google Pixel phone.

• Like 4

I've been getting a lot of that over the last few days

I thought it was just my system

One other I've been getting is a white screen with 'Forbidden' on it and some lines of techno words

and another; I 'open' another tab to read certain postings on a thread, at random, rather than to and back. Sometimes that tab just won't open the posting and after a while it times out. It took 4 attempts to open a tab to one thread

• Like 1

Yep.  It's all true, and I've now opened up a ticket with support along the lines of "get it fixed or move us to a new server for no charge", and we'll see how they respond to it.  We can but hope.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8

• Alan P changed the title to Site very slow to load, more Service Unavailable screens
16 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yep.  It's all true, and I've now opened up a ticket with support along the lines of "get it fixed or move us to a new server for no charge", and we'll see how they respond to it.  We can but hope.

Good luck with that one Mike. I hope it does get sorted quickly on your behalf for us!

All the best and thanks for geeing them up,

Ray

• Like 4

I've been getting a strange interference pattern, like a venitian blind, happening in random boxes, and shuffled bits of text in strange boxes 

I thought it might be my phone, which suffered a hard drop on the corner and cracked screen etc....

But My NEW phone is picking up the same wierd behaviour.

Anyone else getting this phenomenon??🤨

• Like 1

I've been getting more and more errors recently, and the response time is poor. It gets there eventually though.

Today I got a brand new error message, however:

2023-02-20 09_05_16-Error — Mozilla Firefox Private Browsing

Clearly it's lying about the "No such file or directory", as when I clicked "Try again", it worked 😄.

I had an email a little while ago telling me that Support had done more jiggery and pokery with the hoosits and wotsits, and see whether that helps at all.  I can't recall whether I've had any errors in the last 40 minutes or so, but we'll see. :hmmm:

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

The site seems faster, certainly, and the errors have not been occurring since. Fingers crossed.

At the risk of tempting providence, I've had the same experience so far too.  We shall see. :hmmm:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

At the risk of tempting providence, I've had the same experience so far too.  We shall see. :hmmm:

Again, without jinxing things, it's looking far more stable and 'normal' today 👍

There's been a small issue with our Wifi for a couple of weeks. I just thought the forum issues were because of our provider messing things up again. 

It happens somewhat often, up here on The Backside Of Beyond!

Chris

24 hours on and the site seems faster, more responsive and a lot more stable. No error messages here so far either.  Kudos to Mike and the Mods (I still think that'd make a great rock band name) for sticking with it and leaning on the hosting company - looks like it's paid off.  🤞

• Like 1

The site does seem better, and so far I've only had one 500 since they did their "thing". Anyone that gets an error should post up here, so we can get the largest sample size.  We don't seem to be getting those long lags though, from what I've been seeing, which has got to be an improvement. :phew:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

The site's been much improved, and I've had no errors at all yet.

We shall thank the party wholly responsible for the increased site power:

mouthful-hamster-meme-g94nzdf72bn2gfjt.j

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 2/19/2023 at 2:21 PM, rob Lyttle said:

I've been getting a strange interference pattern, like a venitian blind, happening in random boxes, and shuffled bits of text in strange boxes 

I thought it might be my phone, which suffered a hard drop on the corner and cracked screen etc....

Only just picked this up. I don't get this on my Windows 10 Dell laptop but on my Amazon Fire tablet it is a common occurrence. 

On 19/02/2023 at 14:21, rob Lyttle said:

1 hour ago, Paul821 said:

Only just picked this up. I don't get this on my Windows 10 Dell laptop but on my Amazon Fire tablet it is a common occurrence. 

Me too on the “just picked this up” front.

This sounds more like a rendering issue of your browser. Check you have the most up to date version of your OS and your browser, and if possible, try a different one, so if you use Chrome, try Firefox, and if you use the Amazon bespoke browser that I forget the name of, try ANYTHING other than that data hoovering weird thing. :poop:

The site is responsible for sending you pics and pages, it’s your browser that does the displaying, whilst calling on standard graphics routines from your OS, which is why I mention this :)