Lamborghini Aventador Roadster by Fnick - Aoshima 1/24

Fnick

Thanks very much all!

17 hours ago, Spiny said:

I can't believe you escaped without any burnthrough

Yep neither can I! 😄. I did ponder using your very good idea of masking the edges but there's quite a lot and some are quite close together. In the end I used a fairly narrow strip of sanding sheet to ensure I could easily control where that was in relation to the edges 

Nick 

• Like 2

Thanks Andy. Give it a go! I'd personally start with the roof and that is generally nice and flat(ish!).

Apply very little pressure let the sanding paper/micro mesh do the job. Dry with paper towel frequently to see how you ar getting on. Sorry hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs! 😊

Nick

• Like 2

On 13/01/2024 at 14:04, Fnick said:

Sorry hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs! 😊

Hi Nick,  Definitely not.  Well I've made the first step and ordered a Micro Mesh polishing kit, so watch this space - Andy 

• Like 3

On 18/09/2023 at 09:54, Fnick said:

Morning all

Everything that needed a clear coat has now got one.

spacer.png

And a close up of the body

spacer.png

I'm pleased with the body colour but it does not appear as deep as I would have ideally liked. Gravity colours did say to use a dark primer. I used a darkish grey. If I ever do something similar I'll use black next time...

This one is going back into hibernation whilst I fully concentrate on the testarossa from now on.

Thanks for looking, Nick 

I think the paint job looks fantastic! I know it’s ’supposed’ to have black primer, but how could it look better than this?

• Thanks 1

Morning all

Small amount of progress over the last couple of weeks. Bits and bobs are being added to the body.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the PE wipers are done. Those were fiddly!

spacer.png

They still need a second coat of paint on this pic.

Starting to look like a car!

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all

Thank you very much for the comments and reactions. 😊

Slowly plodding along. Bits being added to the body work. All the glass is in. 

spacer.png

The rear light fittings were an absolute pain to put in. Just did not fit. Very surprised as this kit has been really good. Still some gaps I need to glue down. And I've just realised I didn't go over the edges with a black Sharpie... 😡

spacer.png

And another pic.

spacer.png

And a reason why progress has not been as much as it could have been... 😄

spacer.png

Yep new hobby. Hopefully you guys approve. There's wheels, it's mechanical, lots of polishing to do, lots of tools to need and in terms of spending money the overdraft is the limit! 🤣. Downside is most "kits" are already build so you need to take them apart before putting them back together. Oh and yeah no instructions!

I know, who in their right mind would go into a hobby such as that! 🤪

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Neddy said:

It's been said before but is worth repeating - that is one heck of a paint finish!

Couldn't agree more, and I love that colour every time I see it!

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toftdale said:

I assume on the door trim you painted the whole thing black and then sanded the Aventador script to get such a neat job? - Andy 

Good idea but no.🙂 I used Tamiya panel Line black and used enamel thinner and a thin cotton bud to tidy up the raised areas. I was a bit concerned about the thickness of the pain with respect to the thinness of the PE.

Nick

• Like 2

Morning all

It is done! Last few steps were an absolute pain. The door fitment is just awful... I managed to break one of the wing mirrors when fitting it and snag one of the windscreen wipers when giving it the car a final polish. 😡. I also need to be more careful when handling the body after polishing as I left a few scuffs and scratches when adding the extra body panels,etc... So those issues have been fixed as much as I dare to fix them without causing more problems! Better is the enemy of good as they say.

Here's a few pics taken with my mobile so apologies for the quality... I'm not sure how quickly I'll be able to get some more decent photos for the RFI post.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Once again a big thank you to all who accompanied me on this journey. This has been a fun one and it certainly was interesting having the detail up set which I think has made some improvements especially where the grills are concerned.

Thanks for looking, Nick

• Like 8

I couldn't agree more.  Apart from the utterly stunning paintwork it's a great model all round - beautifully finished and detailed throughout.

• Thanks 1