RAAF RF-111C

Pappy

G'day people,

Happy Easter.

Today I added a little more to the office. The ejection handle RBF streamers were added as well as a couple of AOA indicators to the instrument coaming sides

DSCN9792_5jpd6KGdcR3Ws5ytq1oVgv.JPG

DSCN9793_aXbaxHToioPNJjhnCcTC1Y.JPG

I think I should  stop there before I dive too deep into the rabbit hole (see what I did there 😉)

While I was still on a chocolate high I decided to improve the rotating gloves. The undersides lack the aerodynamic fairing and look ugly so I broke out the epoxy putty and after a few minutes shaping I was happy. I left them a couple of hours to harden and I wound up with these

DSCN9787_s6Ua928ChBcGtLiNurBoFW.JPG

One last job before I succumbed to the hypoglycemic low was to chuck some paint onto the completed sub-assemblies

DSCN9789.JPG

Phew, time for a Bex and a lie down now,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 11

G'day people,

I turned my pig into a convertible!

I ant to have the cockpit door opened but Hasegawa have unhelpfully molded the canopy in the closed position. Undeterred I grabbed the trusty razor saw and began what is quite a delicate operation . To further complicate matters, the door hinge are not actually straight but follow a 'V' shaped line

I began by separating the to door and the canopy arch from the windscreen. Once cleaned up, that a attached the the cockpit

DSCN9797.JPG

DSCN9796.JPG

Thia meant I could cut separate the door from the arch by cutting form the to different end to get the V-shaped hinge line

DSCN9798.JPG

The overhead panel a attached to the central arch and a test fit revealed that the cutting had removed some material,  the arch being a tad too short, I added a piece of plastic stock to the end and sanded to shape.

Test fit

DSCN9799.JPG

DSCN9800.JPG

Result!

I will tackle the doors tomozz. I wanted to feel like I was getting somewhere so I added the PE end plates representing the aft ECM  antennas to the ends of the 'speed bumps"

DSCN9801.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 17

14 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Very noice progress Pappy! :popcorn:

G'day Ray!

Thanks mate. I have never opened the canopy on the Has kit before, it is not for the faint-hearted but I like the look of the opened gull wing style doors

Pappy

• Like 1

G'day people,

Starting to get some paint on

DSCN9828.JPG

I am not a very good with an airbrush, and  especially not at this scale so I have cheated and used blue-tak 'wurms' to get nice clean lines with a hint of soft edge.

DSCN9829.JPG

Although RAAF F-111s had soft edged camo demarcations, it was quite a tight edge and  the soft edge was not evident until very close.

The wurms still need some infill masking to prevent any unwanted over spray

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 8

27 minutes ago, Col. said:

Good to see this one and your EA-6A into the paintwork stages :) 

G'day Col,

Agree finally getting to the pointy end of the  build  with these. I am running out of  time though as I may  be heading off again soon, we shall see how far I get,

cheers,

Pappy

15 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Nice, already nearly finished project!

:thumbsup:

Thanks Werner,

I hope to do a little each night to keep pushing  ahead. I still need to do some work on the canopy doors. Opening them creates a lot of extra work😵‍💫

• Like 2

G'day people,

The wings and stabs are nearing completion. More paint has gone on and the camo has been finished up, making sure that the camo pattern matches on all three parts (slats,wing and flap sections) as the high lift devices will all be deployed but were painted separately.

DSCN9834.JPG

The reason I chose this approach was to make it easier to paint the red sections of the flaps and flaps which are visible with 'everything out' which adds a nice splash of colour. I still need to paint the slat bay on the wings but to really pop they need to be painted white before I hit it with the red. I like to leave the paint for at least 24hrs before I mask and spray another colour over the top which makes things laborious  and means I have to plan out my spray schedule

There are a few small notches in the flap sections that need to be painted red. I thought it easier to paint these section with a hairy stick than spend additional effort masking

DSCN9842.JPG

Finally, I was able to start painting the undersides in black

DSCN9843.JPG

I went with a straight satin black as this area did not really fade and was happy with the result. Painting all these bits off the fuselage means I can see how the paint will look on the plastic before doing the same thing with the fuselage,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Sam said:

@Pappy, your attention to the panel lines is a real take home message for me! Looking very neat!

G'day šam,

I have said it before and I will  keep saying it, you need to do the basics well, otherwise  it will not matter how much aftermarket you throw at a kit it will always be flawed,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 3

On 4/25/2023 at 1:11 PM, Pappy said:

G'day šam,

I have said it before and I will  keep saying it, you need to do the basics well, otherwise  it will not matter how much aftermarket you throw at a kit it will always be flawed,

cheers,

Pappy

And I shall take it to heart, believe me.

I have always been struggling with the canopy fitting (closed canopies). It will be the main focus and learning field (together with clean construction and re-scribing) on my next build. 

Thanks for the direct input!

cheers,

Sam

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 7:59 PM, Sam said:

And I shall take it to heart, believe me.

I have always been struggling with the canopy fitting (closed canopies). It will be the main focus and learning field (together with clean construction and re-scribing) on my next build. 

Thanks for the direct input!

cheers,

Sam

No prob Sam,

I am keen to get back to the bench and kick this one into touch. Just the canopy to sort and  should be good to go,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

I was wondering why progress had slowed on your EA-6A and Dassault builds, but I see you have your priorities straight! Beautiful work here.

Funnily enough I had contemplated an RF-111C for this GB too, as I think you can get the conversion set from High Planes Models in Singapore, but I decided against butchering my precious Hasegawa F-111C kit until I’ve built my skills further. 

Out of interest what PE set are you using? I guess an F-111A or E set would be fairly representative of a pre AUP jet?

40 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

I was wondering why progress had slowed on your EA-6A and Dassault builds, but I see you have your priorities straight! Beautiful work here.

Funnily enough I had contemplated an RF-111C for this GB too, as I think you can get the conversion set from High Planes Models in Singapore, but I decided against butchering my precious Hasegawa F-111C kit until I’ve built my skills further. 

Out of interest what PE set are you using? I guess an F-111A or E set would be fairly representative of a pre AUP jet?

G'day Gerrard,

Good to know the that the conversion set is still available however, fear not, as no butchery will be required. The resin part is a straight swap with the kit weapons bay part.

I have a no advertising policy as far as my builds go, if they want me to flog their gear, then pay me.

An F-111A cockpit would be very close , as would an F-111F. Cannot speak for an E and the D is completely wrong (twin HUDs) but I doubt too many people would pick the differences, especially in 1/72.

The RF=111Cs cockpits were also subtly different from the Cs as the right side console had all the sensor and camera controls and the left had some of the switches re-arranged as well,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Pappy said:

An F-111A cockpit would be very close , as would an F-111F. Cannot speak for an E and the D is completely wrong (twin HUDs) but I doubt too many people would pick the differences, especially in 1/72.

The RF=111Cs cockpits were also subtly different from the Cs as the right side console had all the sensor and camera controls and the left had some of the switches re-arranged as well,

From memory there were a few new boxes in the IP after the AUP digital update too, but you’re right, especially at 1/72 no one would really be able to tell.

50 th anniversary of the first RAAF F-111 deliveries to Australia coming up soon. Most 50 year olds would be very happy to have aged as gracefully!

On 4/30/2023 at 11:14 PM, Wings unlevel said:

From memory there were a few new boxes in the IP after the AUP digital update too, but you’re right, especially at 1/72 no one would really be able to tell.

50 th anniversary of the first RAAF F-111 deliveries to Australia coming up soon. Most 50 year olds would be very happy to have aged as gracefully!

Still looks fast standing still

G'day people,

I have started to attach the flappery and slattery to the wing cores

DSCN9849.JPG

DSCN9850.JPG

The canopy 'bridge' was also attached

DSCN9851.JPG

DSCN9852.JPG

I just need to finish the canopy doors to complete the canopy and then I will be ready to start painting the fuselage

One last job was to add the intake support struts to the fuselage

DSCN9853.JPG

These were a real pain to remove from their sprue and clean up due to the enormous attachment point. I am glad that has been done,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 10

On 5/7/2023 at 4:10 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Just did a catch up. It's looking rather fabulous. Beautiful Cockpit and paint.

Thanks very much Pete

On 5/7/2023 at 4:15 PM, Hook said:

Fine update!

No worries Hook

20 hours ago, Col. said:

Your tidy work continues to impress me as always Pappy.

I am often accused of many things but tidy is usually not one of them!

G'day people,

I have finished attaching the flying surfaces now.

DSCN9854.JPG

DSCN9855.JPG

One of the many great things about the Has F-111 kits is the way the wings can be left off and plugged in at the end. I usually don't glue the wings on as it is easier to transport the kits with their wings off and I just plug them in when I get to the destination. Also great for moving. The fit is very snug

DSCN9856.JPG

DSCN9857.JPG

Incidentally F-111 wings don't sag or droop. The wings will bend upwards under flight loading but they do not sag. The stabs are just plugged in for now, They will be set at the correct angle and glued in place later

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 15

On 5/8/2023 at 7:21 PM, MickE said:

Well done, it is looking great. Can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks Mick. I just need to finish my EA-6A in the Salty Sea Dog  GB (which is nearly done) and then I can turn my full attention to this little piggy,

cheers,

Pappy

@PappyA fantastic looking build so far. The cockpit is outstanding and the fit of the RF resin conversion is excellent. I do like how Hasegawa has done the wing to fuselage. I had hoped the other companies would kind of follow suit on theirs. None the less I did cut out a slot for the Academy kit wings in 1/48th scale. Works quite well and rubber cemented a small length of foam to hold the wings level on my F-111F build. The Hobby Boss kit is another story. Haven't even looked at what I'm going to do with it.

At any rate, fantastic progress and looking forward to the completion.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker