Classic Airframes 1/48 Savoia-Marchetti SM.79, 193 Squadreglia, Regia Aeronautica, Sicily, 1940-41 +COMPLETED+

Icarus

Evening all.

I am trying (or rather, failing) to complete my entry into the Ju 88 GB in time, but what the heck - might as well try with another GB as well.  As you can see, whilst black basing the Ju 88 last night, I used the opportunity to add some "rubber black" base to the cockpit, engine and wheel resin of this kit, but otherwise it is unstarted..

Qp8KKEcyvvG8wRWXieGi0POt7NVhX4czTrZQENf2

2eW3dJ2Pf9idKn7jO7KWUYuQ7UyUh7Gh74wlcB_p

Wwl1vvwIYvw5NBD5HX0u1kEBoJo1s4NLf0CoUQE_

Looking forward to eventually painting that camouflage!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Right - a bit of an update on this one.  I managed to ger started on this early last week - this was part way through painting some of the lovely resin detail for the cockpit:

T3OXZGdvQn1gd0SdUii3YVtnMJ4X20MlVjHMB4ts

And more recently, with cockpit part assembled, test fitting to make sure it fitted into the fuselage.  Seatbelts made from strips of Tamiya tape, painted etc.

LNkwuyU4FWEIjpaj7LsJqkawebttYYLaJduv1WZ4

And a bit more progress today.  I have decided to have the rear cockpit gun cover open, so have just amputated this.  Repeat check to see the completed cockpit (including gun position floor) will fit:

kiYsA63FHLbKuizl7EY_mES0ZihkWQLZvnkh_06H

One thing is for sure - when I finally do bring the two fuselage halves together, I am going to need to do some filling of the gaps!

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 6

Thank you Col. 

As you can see by this photo taken just now, I am doing my level best to try and minimise gaps in the main fuselage build as the glue sets, but clearly there will need to be some "fillin' an' filin') in the near future....

oLzESYwV97PrE4qp9SF42S5hx3v84-6kcj0yyDHk

I have added the fuselage transparencies, and also cut out the access door (on the other side of the fuselage from this photo).

Thanks for looking,

Icarus 

• Like 7

A day of filling and filing, plus an initial test fit of the cockpit transparencies (looks promising) and the wings (all the gaps are on the underside!)...

WamEmccX6rGC88b_wMB99ChMNmA-Sh3su9p1KlJ3

Thanks for looking!

Icarus

• Like 8

At least if the canopies fit well that'll avoid fillin' an' filin' around them so much. Good to see it coming together now.

So, bespoke Eduard vinyl masks (not the more modern kabuki ones) on, and seams sanded as best as I can with multiple rounds of various micromesh cloths.  I will remember this time to spray cockpit green on the canopy, then I will add my usual black basing.  You will see I've used the old mid-upper gunner cover plastic, which was excised, as a temporary paint mask.  Similarly the cabin door, which will eventually be open, has been temporarily attached as a mask.

O1rlvqE0UPq-pj_CJRNQb_qJzEAgfkNN-lxIzDQk

I am abroad on business until the middle of next week, so a bit of a pause for now.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 5

Here are - black basing complete.  You can even see one of the lovely resin mainwheels in the background, that I am working on separately.  As normal, I have added wire supports for the tailplanes, to try and reinforce the join.

YXqdsR28X43A4LIp_ruC7-3_swKkMobeuOaZ2uNI

Next step is the white fuselage band, before I start thinking about attempting that funky paint scheme..

Thanks for looking, 

Icarus

• Like 6

So, ignore that idea of white fuselage band first.  I have sprayed the lower surfaces with the mid-grey, then the metallic rings on the engine nacelles using various shades of Alclad.  These have now all been masked off with a combination of Tamiya vinyl "tape for curves", Kabuki and Builder's Masking tape, ready for the upper fuselage colours.  Starting off with the yellow shade - good old PolyMaster paint for this...

BuWMtrLPvnQXhOt_Ye6-xL8PYPtoBbmQsPYyvq0M

EJ82AmLnZ3WfK21WfECBMsrS-GkwNqSRmOXJc44N

Thanks for looking, 

Icarus

• Like 4

Now with its first upper colour - thinned Poly Scale Italian Camo Yellow (the bottle of which you can espy in the top right of the photo).  This layer is deliberately "raggedy" - with two further colours to come, I don't want to lose the tonal benefits of the black basing.

mQpjFR5m9VZtxLU3OYD5q4yc_JIiuYWpokc8knug

I am still awaiting delivery of the green, which is the next layer, by the postie, so I might make a start this evening on the 1/48 Phantom that will be my entry for the "Big In Japan" GB.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

Thank you Col.  On cue, the VLA 71.094 was delivered by the postie this morning.  So - in order, today's airbrushing:

1. Green

AMWts8BMn_IW86YvWY3Mz-YvPSHUBdpAmnllpETy

2. "Maroon" (XF-10) and removal of masks:

LoM_NtqJ3C38PbLCh-BntblIYpqjaij7XN4zkuCy

AMWts8AUjKEMrJEDrnKL3dFB5KYkZUiuvGYHRJ5A

A few touch ups needed, but nothing too dramatic (and yes, I am a cheapskate, and am saving the Tamiya vinyl and Kabuki tape for later!).  Even though this is daylight, you can see the colour modulation under the mid-grey thanks to the black basing.

Once I've finished the touch-ups, I will spray a protective layer of Klear on this before masking for the white fuselage band (see previous line for the source of the masking tape...)

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 6

Initial weathering with oils and pin wash done.  I have also added most of the other "bits and pieces", ready for the final pastel weathering, to be followed by a sealing satin varnish.  I will then remove the masks (always unnerving!), then add the few aerials and bracing wires using Lycra thread.

YSxqRAHei9TXPWpThfxE5o2V8alvqAdbiBcIlAfQ

_YwIVZ0nYB5MAwSJbTPKeCDd0P6xW6LUFuEgtd_d

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 6

Hi everyone.  This is now complete.  This took a bit longer than anticipated at the end, as I had to reinforce the "pitots" and guns with wire.  I also had to replace the lower gun with brass rod.  Once again I feared the old style "vinyl" transparency masks would fail me, and once again my fears prove unfounded!  And yes - that cutting board is wonky...

AJFCJaX91y8FIiRc06MUE3Fq19OWmLM0yxENhc7o

AJFCJaU1Nz1HdzfQpUOYryd6AxEy7idxyW1vmDni

AJFCJaUmR7i3bKv0AaNwaLJj_0h7B5sUa3yBzoYz

AJFCJaXTt4EZeYuqhUPLfng268Spqm_TwhaIZD1G

Thanks for all the advice and support - now off to the "Big in Japan" GB...

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 8

• Icarus changed the title to Classic Airframes 1/48 Savoia-Marchetti SM.79, 193 Squadreglia, Regia Aeronautica, Sicily, 1940-41 +COMPLETED+