Eduard 1:48 F4F-3 VF-41

Hi all 

here I present to you my first full build of 2023 

It’s finished as F4F-3 (1850) 41-F-4 flown by Lt. Charles Shileds of VF-41 USS Ranger in December 1940

At the beginning of January I was undecided on what to build next so I asked my wife to pick a kit from me stash and to choose the markings!

And my wife picked the Eduard F4F-3 Wildcat and chose the early pre-war markings 

i started this by the end of the first week of January.

The only issues I had with the kit was the rather fiddly undercarriage I don’t know if it was something i did or something to do with the kit parts but I had a major misalignment problem later on in the build one wingtip was a good 4mm higher than the other and that’s when I noticed the misalignment of the undercarriage although everything was glued to where it should be so I had to shorten one of the undercarriage legs to get it to sit horizontally!

Question I don’t know whether to give it a wash to accentuate the panel lines and rivets if so can any recommend what to use ?

Paints used were mainly from the MR Hobby Aqueous and Mr.Metalcolor ranges and some tamiya acrylics 

the decals are of the new type from Eduard and I bit the bullet in peeling the carrier film off and I must say It went better than expected with the decals only lifting in a couple of areas.

I throughly enjoyed this build from start to finish despite the aforementioned issues 

hope you like it and thanks for looking 

happy modelling 

Eduard 1:48 F4F-3 Wildcat

Edited by Spitfire madman
Added text
  • Like 53
  • Thanks 2

A great model mate and boom its so colourful. I'm going to let my wife pick the next one. Then tell her to pick again once she gets the one I'm actually going to do.

Personally I wouldn't wash it as they look defined already.

Edited by speedy
  • Like 1

I really like it!  I have the same kit and wanted to do this scheme...  what yellow did you use?  It looks really great...

I am a fence sitter when it comes to wash in all the panel lines...  i mainly do it in control surface hinges and wing folds only, where grease is.  If you look at photos of real aircraft, they dont have all panel lines highlighted.  So i would restrain in the wash...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tokyo Raider said:

I really like it!  I have the same kit and wanted to do this scheme...  what yellow did you use?  It looks really great...

I am a fence sitter when it comes to wash in all the panel lines...  i mainly do it in control surface hinges and wing folds only, where grease is.  If you look at photos of real aircraft, they dont have all panel lines highlighted.  So i would restrain in the wash...

The yellow is MR Hobby Aqueous H329. Thank you for the feedback on the wash 👍 I’ll leave as is 

• 1 month later...

Great model! Spot of colour in the drab or grey collection...

Like many others obviously, I too confere with my wife about some schemes... and one of the first I remember was a 72 TBD which I also did in prewar paint and love it. 

• Like 2

You have to love the look of the pre-war U. S. Navy planes.  Subtle finish and blending in was not in their bailiwick.  Really nicely finished kit.  Sorry to hear about the build issues.  But, it looked like you overcame them.  Thanks for sharing.  

• Like 2