Hasegawa 1/72 N1K2-J Shiden Kai, by George *Finished*

My entry will be this:

52692073359_f81094aa42_b.jpg

Dates from 1977 according to Scalemates.  I bought this one second hand from a show a few years ago and it has languished in the stash ever since.  Time to build it!

AW

Edited by Andwil
  • Like 8

Got this one underway today, but first the sprues:

52692073364_b641f9789f_b.jpg

Not many parts.  Decals look a bit ropey:

52692219410_02d7cc7f29_b.jpg

Which doesn’t matter, as I’ll be using these:

52692073349_2e6768f0fd_b.jpg

Started off by adding some detail to the rather basic cockpit, typical for a Hasegawa kit of its age.  The seat sits on a plinth, whereas the original is mounted on a frame attached to the rear bulkhead, plastic rod was used to represent the frame and side consoles made up from laminated plasticard:

52697143961_f91111f314_b.jpg

Some framing, a firewall, boxes and wiring added to the sidewalls:

52697143996_629731e90d_b.jpg 52697143991_4bf0728a0d_b.jpg

I used the instructions for the 1/32 Hasegawa Shiden as a guide.

Also assembled the wings and drop tank:

52697560900_23e3000bca_b.jpg

52697560915_eb9eac9dd6_b.jpg

The very shiny, hard dark green plastic looks horrible when sanded, it “scars” and is noticeably lighter in colour.

Unlikely that I will have much time next week as other commitments will take up my time, also not conducive for an paint related modelling with forecast temps over 35C all week and 40+ on two of them :jump_fire:

AW

• Like 5

I did this kit for the Tuning Japanese GB last year, you're certainly detailing it more than I could be bothered to did. I found it went together well but I had trouble with the decals, they didn't want to stick but a higher strength Klear solution got them sticking, they withstood a heap of handling till I got to that stage & in the end went down well & looked good.

Steve.

I have built this and their Raiden a couple of times - nice simple kits that build quite well. I have also built an MPM? Shiden N1K1 which makes an interesting comparison as it is virtually the original floatplane with wheels - mid  wing instead of low wing and a shorter fuselage. These were some of the first  Hasegawa kits I ever made other than the Frog reboxings and got me hooked on WWII Japanese planes (together with the Revell Ki-43, 61 and 84 I built 10 years earlier).

Pete

• Like 2

After a very busy and hot week I was able to make some meaningful progress today.  Cockpit airbrushed with AK acrylics, following the instructions for the Hasegawa 1/32 kit a base colour of 50/50 mix Mitsubishi and Nakajima cockpit greens, boxes and IPs painted black with white switches etc, brown for the map case.  Then a wash if black and a dry brush of silver.

52709854949_0697dbb776_b.jpg

52710073753_379f8fa2f1_b.jpg

Belts from tape to be added.  I will use the decal for the IP, which will mostly be hidden anyway.

Engine sprayed with steel then given a wash of black and a dry brush of silver.

52709854944_35b1968f08_b.jpg

Undercarriage painted black with chrome oleos.

52710009095_0342201ca7_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 5

On 19/02/2023 at 07:36, Andwil said:

Unlikely that I will have much time next week as other commitments will take up my time, also not conducive for an paint related modelling with forecast temps over 35C all week and 40+ on two of them :jump_fire:

AW

Well you're clearly not in Scotland AW ! :raincloud:

Temperature numbers don't go that high here even on our cookers in the kitchen :wink:

Great to see George progressing

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All closed up and ready for paint, no problems with fit, the cockpit slipped in from underneath which made it easy to fit in nice and level.  The tailplanes will go on after painting, which will make masking easier.

52712123815_60b722291f_b.jpg

Wings taped to get the roots to set at the correct dihedral.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 4

I was able to get back to the George today, the masked canopy (masked with the Dead Design mask set, a God’s send) first got a spray of the interior mix (50/50 Nakajima/Mitsubishi interior greens) and then primer this morning:

52727118540_079fd88357_b.jpg

Really brings out the pugnacious lines of the Shiden-Kai.  I haven’t made up my mind whether I like it or not, compact and business like, but the tall canopy makes its proportions look a bit odd.

Undersides airbrushed AK Dull Aluminium this afternoon:

52727185523_c8473f0be3_b.jpg

I also shot some aluminium on the areas that will be chipped on the upper surface.

Thanks for looking.

AW 

• Like 6

I remember building this,  the Frank and the Tony not too long after they came out. Fairly simple kits but definitely looked the part when built. 

It would have been nice if the Japanese had put a bit more effort into manufacturing larger, curved transparent components during the War and not left us modellers with all that masking...

John 

• Like 1

Apart from masking heavily framed canopies, one of my least favourite parts of building a Japanese fighter is painting the yellow leading edge strips.

52731434711_84a48be06b_b.jpg

I forgot to do a white undercoat, this is is 6 coats of Vallejo Model Air medium yellow.  Horrible paint with very little pigment.  At least it is done now and I can move on to the dark green.

Thanks for looking.

AW 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

IJN Deep Green-Black airbrushed and chipped using the hairspray method.  I used an old mascara brush of my daughter’s to do the wing roots, I think it peeled of a bit too much so I might go back and redo some of the green.  I also masked off the yellow leading edge too short, it should extend to just outboard of the cannons, so that will also need rectifying.  Apart from those issues, I’m happy with it so far.

52738129633_5daf4d47d2_b.jpg

52737647731_a1e0e0a790_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 5

I’ve corrected the yellow leading edges and painted the smaller details.  Steel for the cannon barrels, tyre black for the tail wheel and wood brown for the radio mast.  The navigation lights painted Tamiya clear red and clear blue over silver and the exhausts painted steel with a dry brushing of rust and light grey.  I have decided to leave the chipping as is.  Ready now for decals.

52741974929_6a0ecf2bd8_b.jpg

52741207022_d9da68b533_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Only 6??? Humbrol trainer yellow takes 8 or 9!

What is it about yellow paint?  Of all the colours, its the same in every range, very little pigment.

Anywho, decals on today:

52744618130_63cfb53210_b.jpg

52744200291_38a057cd28_b.jpg

52743683747_1d4eaa044a_b.jpg

A word or two about the subject of the model.  The 343rd Kokutai  was, in its second incarnation, a sort of Japanese equivalent of Galland’s JV44.  Capt. Minoru Genda of the IJN General Staff had come to the (rather obvious in hindsight) conclusion that Japan was losing the war because the allies had total air supremacy.  He proposed, and gained approval for, the formaion of a select fighter group composed of experienced fighter leaders and aces and equipped with the best fighter available to the IJN, the  N1K2-J Shiden Kai to win back that superiority.  The 343rd Kokutai was originally equipped with A6Ms and had been destroyed in the defence of Palau and Guam.  Genda rebuilt it in December 1944 around a cadre of experienced pilots including the likes of Sakai and Sugita.  My model represents the aircraft usually flown by CPO Shoichi Sugita an ace variously credited with anywhere from 70 to 120 victories, which total probably includes many probables, damaged and shared victories.  Sugita scored 7 victories with the Shiden making him the second most successful pilot on the type (behind Katsue Katō also of the 343rd with 9).  Sugita was shot down and killed on 15 April 1945 by Lt Cdr Weatherup, CO of VF-46, shortly after taking off from Kanoya to intercept the Hellcats that were strafing the airfield.  Eventually the formation of the 343rd Kokutai proved a case of too little too late for Japan, shortages of fuel and the unreliability of the Shiden’s engine limited its effectiveness, while the concentration of the few remaining experienced pilots robbed other units of effective leadership.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 5

Finished:

52748537206_159b61b737_b.jpg

52748537201_bd69391112_b.jpg

I have to say that the Dead Design mask set is the best I have ever worked with.  Perfect fit to the canopy, stuck down firmly, allowed no bleed, made of tape not the horrible vinyl stuff so they conformed to curves and didn’t leave any residue on removal despite being on for a few days.  Highly recommended.

Gallery photos to follow shortly.

Thanks for looking and for likes and comments.

AW

• Like 7

• Andwil changed the title to Hasegawa 1/72 N1K2-J Shiden Kai, by George *Finished*

Nice paint job.

If I can add a couple of tips for future kits?   The gap between the canopy and the fuselage is showing and this can be hidden by running some PVA derivative  (white glue, canopy masking, whatever) along the join with a pointy stick, wiping it with a wet finger and then painting over.  You can do this with your favourite filler but white glue is easier.  Not along the sliding part!  The tailplane to fuselage fairing could have been filed down a little to avoid the visible step.  Sometimes these things become much more obvious in photos than to the eye.  (Especially the maker's eye... been there, done that.)

• 2 months later...