Hasegawa 1/72 F-106A *** Finished ***

7 hours ago, MARADER said:

Will the panel connection lines be engraved

Thanks for your interest and attemtion!

Looking at pictures of these aircraft show them to be pretty much smooth overall, even after years of sitting outside as gate guards, so prominent panel lines wouldn't be realistic for me.

I will not be engraving the panel lines. I will try to protect the raised detailing across the joins when I tidy up, and I put a bit of "dirt" in my final varnish coat to give a tiny amount of texture. I might pencil over some of the opening panels to highlight them. I'm aiming for a finish like the F-102 I built last year - if I match that, I will be very happy.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

On 3/13/2023 at 10:48 PM, AdrianMF said:

Been fiddling about with the in-flight refuelling point:

8-FFE387-F-031-E-4-B80-9-BB0-C8-B97061-C

It started life as a vent on the early models and became a combined vent and refuelling point when the capability was added later, so there are all sorts of variations (well, at least two), none of which match what Hasegawa gives you. Thanks for the heads up to @PeterB. I think I've got the basics of the shape right now.

Hi Adrian. It was originally just the vent for the cabin aircon, but as you said the IFR receptacle was subsequently added with the vent remaining at the front.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wing is on:

8-E27-DBFF-FC19-4688-B83-E-4-B4-DB073-D1

(I nearly wrote "lower" there, which tells me I do too many biplanes!)

I added a bit of 40 thou card to the back bulkhead and cut it down so the back end of the wing insert had something solid to rest on. I've given the seams a bead of CA that I can sand down smooth, and I've given the divots around the wheel wells another blob too to make sure they get smooth. The front portions of the wings don't quite touch the fuselage, so I will push in some stretched sprue or a sliver of plastic and drip in some liquid cement to get a solid join. The wing fuselage seam should then be good with a wipe of PPP (non-structural).

Refuelling hatch floor next, then wheel and missile bay detail.

• Like 8

The refuelling hatch is done - just needs some vanes on the vent now:

CD4-A0-F6-C-733-D-436-B-942-F-4-E723-A4-

The burner cans have been painted inside:
99612000-FCAD-4-D27-87-BC-AB44-B1-ECFEAD

And the missile and wheel bay floors have been added:

7-E0-A96-FE-FC00-4-B68-9216-5-E2-AFA37-C

I feel like the boring bit is getting to the end and now I can start the fun stuff!

• Like 8

On 3/12/2023 at 5:02 AM, AdrianMF said:

Ray, that's a bummer! I have the kit canopy out today and I just wondered, seeing as how the windscreen is pretty much two flat planes, what would happen if I made a masking tape template, transferred it to some clear plastic, and bent it in the middle:

1644915-F-44-CD-4108-8043-AF75-C20-B77-A

923-B0-F7-E-7-E8-E-4-FB4-8-F4-A-392-F209

It pretty much fitted with a five minute first attempt. The picture of the masking tape is taken square on on centimetre squares with a ruler for reference, so you might care to give it a go (or you might not...)

Regards,

Adrian

[edit: I've just noticed on the photo that they have moulded in a raised line showing the demarcation between the ADC grey and the anti-glare black! I've checked that they don't have raised stars and bars too ;) ]

Adrian,

Great progress! I mentioned the issue to a mate here and he suggested making up the panels as well and now you have come to the party with this fantastic template!

So it looks like the F-106B will be a go for this GB (as well as an Arii Cessna 377/O-2) :D

• Like 1

So-o-o-oo, dropper bottles, best thing since sliced bread, eh? 

Not for me. I gave my bottle a little squeeze and the top popped off followed by great globs of paint:

0-A6-AB14-E-A36-F-4-BEE-B341-CD503-D5811

Luckily, it all landed on the (freshly-cleaned) mixing pot and my hand, and the top landed on the carpet protector that the chair sits on.

Got most of it back in the pot, and even managed to paint some on the internals:

F00-D4936-8265-4479-840-B-D837-C3-EECCB3

Who says modelling is a boring hobby?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Got the internals weathered and some exterior paint on (finally!):

605-DB2-E9-D2-FF-44-F4-A3-B5-365-BFDF050

Getting there slowly:

05-D02-B25-811-B-4826-B44-D-37-D4-B21796

Revell acrylic 76 Hellgrau is such a lovely colour to paint I don't even mind having to do three or four coats!

• Like 7

the second one was out to get me! Broke into eight pieces before it had even left the backing paper:

1740-CC1-B-BF8-B-452-A-B818-BEFCB376-B67

Managed to wrestle it back together though. I left it to soak in the warm water for a longer time - that may have been why it was more fragile.

Time for a cuppa while all that dries. I'm glad I didn't go for the open airbrake option now!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Hope that's for all the right reasons...

The very best, the hop harvest out here. This area is NZ's main (sole?) hop growing area. The hardest months work I've done in my life I think & certainly for close to 45 years. I'll drink beer now with a clear conscience for the rest of my days. :)

Steve.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Good to hear, Steve!

Well, I only own three reds, so it's a stroke of luck that one of them is a perfect match for touching up the decals:

57-EBCE35-5-DE0-4541-8-A1-F-C4-E584-DDCB

I'm hoping midnight blue works for the couple of insignia touch ups too. Then it's varnish, weathering and the small stuff...

[edit] A mix of midnight blue and black did the job...

• Like 5

Decals, varnish and weathering have been done, so it's a case of taking the aeroplane bits out of the box and sticking them on (no german armoured car crew though, thank you):

B31-B1-C5-C-21-E0-4-EEC-A1-B4-B9-E2-E08-

I've made up and painted some struts for the undercarriage doors and have to make some rams to open and close the missile bay doors too, and then we are done!

• Like 7

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

[...] have to make some rams to open and close the missile bay doors [...]

Working missile bay doors?

Edited by Beard
to change a capital letter to lower case. Stupid autocorrect.
  • Haha 1