Airfix P.1127 in 1:72 - a real blast from the past!

A blast from the past,remember building this in the 1960s when it came in a plastic bag with instructions stapled to the top .You have made a fantastic job of it ,well done.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Homer said:

A blast from the past,remember building this in the 1960s when it came in a plastic bag with instructions stapled to the top .You have made a fantastic job of it ,well done.

Yes, a wonderful build.

I also remember having the bagged version, only I was a bit too young to do it so my mum stuck it together for me. Her first and last model!

• Thanks 1

As others have said, a real blast from the past.  I built this kit from the bagged version (I/6d or were they 2/- by then) and I always fancied building a Kestrel version.  

One of these prototypes ended up at the RAF Hendon museum in 1972, I had a close look at it, there was a lot of araldite holding it together. :whistle:

• Thanks 1

Another blast of nostalgia. Of course I too built the  bagged version far too long ago.

Recently ITV4 aired an episode of the 'Saint'. Some nice footage of one of the prototypes. It had been stolen on behalf of a villianous East European country. Luckily Simon Templar was able to fly it back to England two up and saved the day. Implausible but great fun. Worth it to see the Kestrel in flight.

Edited by noelh
  • Thanks 1

Great build of an Airfix classic.

It would be amazing if they did a modern tooling of this early version of the Harrier. A new-tool P1127 along with a Kestrel would be great to see but sadly might not prove overly profitable for Airfix.

BM.

• Thanks 1

On 15/02/2023 at 10:33, amos brierley said:

I’ve got to tip my hat  🎩 for your build, brave man,   beautiful build.    😉

On 15/02/2023 at 10:48, Farmerboy said:

Cracking job on both models, good job!

On 15/02/2023 at 11:14, MACALAIN said:

Well done.

Alain

On 15/02/2023 at 12:23, echen said:

Wow! That brings back memories!

22 hours ago, F-32 said:

Love it, absolutely superb!

21 hours ago, AlxBNE said:

You've done a great job on both kits.

The comparison shots are brilliant and very interesting.

Thank you folks for the very kind comments 👍

23 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very neat and interesting display work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

11 hours ago, Homer said:

11 hours ago, IanC said:

Yes, a wonderful build.

I also remember having the bagged version, only I was a bit too young to do it so my mum stuck it together for me. Her first and last model!

11 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

As others have said, a real blast from the past.  I built this kit from the bagged version (I/6d or were they 2/- by then) and I always fancied building a Kestrel version.  

One of these prototypes ended up at the RAF Hendon museum in 1972, I had a close look at it, there was a lot of araldite holding it together. :whistle:

9 hours ago, noelh said:

Another blast of nostalgia. Of course I too built the  bagged version far too long ago.

Recently ITV4 aired an episode of the 'Saint'. Some nice footage of one of the prototypes. It had been stolen on behalf of a villianous East European country. Luckily Simon Templar was able to fly it back to England two up and saved the day. Implausible but great fun. Worth it to see the Kestrel in flight.

Thanks folks, some very interesting info in there - and sounds like there’s plenty of affection for the kits of our youth! 

22 hours ago, chrisbob12 said:

Good result! I'll be bookmarking that for mine 😉

Good luck! 😁

WOW! I fought that P1127 kit a few years ago, didn't help that the molding was short in a few areas, now it sits on a corner of the bench like it's in the fire pit at an air base. Unfinished and ugly. If I can find another maybe there will be a second attempt, after seeing what can be done. 

• Thanks 1

On 16/02/2023 at 11:11, BillF67 said:

Super! To my jaundiced, old eye, it looks better than the Harrier - more futuristic and modern in a funny sort of way 🤪

On 16/02/2023 at 12:34, Blue Monday said:

Great build of an Airfix classic.

It would be amazing if they did a modern tooling of this early version of the Harrier. A new-tool P1127 along with a Kestrel would be great to see but sadly might not prove overly profitable for Airfix.

BM.

Thank you. A new tool Kestrel would be fab. I agree with you, unlikely to be a sufficient market for it though

37 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

It's interesting to reflect on the fact that Sir Sidney Camm, who supervised the development of the radical P1127, was also the designer of the Hawker Fury biplane fighter. 🤔

Kind regards,

Joachim

True… and in between them, he managed to design the Hurricane, Typhoon and Tempest!!!! Almost impossible to imagine that sort of portfolio from a single designer these days

Very nice indeed. One of the first Airfix kits I ever saw, on my Summer holiday in Rothesay in 1967. My dad bought one of these and a Westland Scout from Woolworths on one of the less sunny days. The impact that experience has had on me was seismic 😀

The 1127 does look like something Gerry Anderson dreamed up though, doesn't it?

John 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, The Shearwater said:

True… and in between them, he managed to design the Hurricane, Typhoon and Tempest!!!! Almost impossible to imagine that sort of portfolio from a single designer these days

Not to forget the Hunter… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1