P-51 Mustang STGB 5 Chat

TEMPESTMK5

Good mroning All Mustang Fans 

It will be very difficult to choose between all the very interesting  markings schemes . ..

I will represent at least one aircraft from an ETO Fighter group that I have not represented so far ... 

Best regards 

Patrice 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Seems to be a popular choice, Im doing two in ANG markings myself. I know of at least one other ANG mustang being built for this build. 

I recently picked up a box of Japanese F-Toys kits with a wealth of P-51H ANG options, so I definitely need to finish one if not more of these during the GB.

The box met with approval too...

spacer.png

• Like 1

I have a trio (vic?) of Airfix P-51D:s for this one. One will be decorated in a kit supplied scheme, but for two of them I'm planning to add some home printed decals. V-P

EDIT:

One, I hope, will be my attempt to create a model of Bert Stiles's last mount, that'll be my Serenade to the Big Bert

media-19631

With which I of course refer to his unforgettable legacy to the mankind:

51kNESI9LHL.jpg

• Like 5

I completely agree with what you’re all saying about there being a lot of very interesting Mustang subjects post war. So to that end I’m pretty sure that I’ll be building a Korean War F-51 or RF-51 loaded up with rockets and bombs. 

James 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

One of my planned subjects is a P-51D-5.  I will be using the Eduard P-51D-10 kit.  Can anyone please tell me what the differences were between a -5 and a -10? 

Was the fin fillet absent on the -5 but present on the -10?

54 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Can anyone please tell me what the differences were between a -5 and a -10? 

As @2996 Victorsays, the -10 were the first to get the fin fillet, the only external difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

One of my planned subjects is a P-51D-5.  I will be using the Eduard P-51D-10 kit.  Can anyone please tell me what the differences were between a -5 and a -10? 

Good morning Enzo

I would recommend you to check with photos because I believe that some D5 have been retrofitted with the fin fillet ...

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Was the fin fillet absent on the -5 but present on the -10?

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

As @2996 Victorsays, the -10 were the first to get the fin fillet, the only external difference.

Thanks, that's helpful.  :thumbsup:.  As @TEMPESTMK5 pointed out, this particular aircraft was retrofitted with the fin fillet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Thanks, that's helpful.  :thumbsup:.  As @TEMPESTMK5 pointed out, this particular aircraft was retrofitted with the fin fillet.

That's always the problem with the early versions, they received updates, so as always, if possible use a photo of your subject.  I did read that the first batch of tail fillet kits to update earlier versions was loaded onto a ship to come to Britain but was sunk on route by  a U-boat, delaying their fitment. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

@Enzo the Magnificent 1:48 is not my subject scale, but Eduard P-51:s interest me! If I have understood correctly, they provide parts for:

• C sprue/"tree" with a filletless D-5 fuselage
  • D sprue with part D5 for retrofitted fin fillet for D-5...15 models, and part D4 for D-20 and later models with factory applied fillet

If I'm wrong, please correct me quickly! V-P

19 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

@Enzo the Magnificent 1:48 is not my subject scale, but Eduard P-51:s interest me! If I have understood correctly, they provide parts for:

• D sprue with part D5 for retrofitted fin fillet for D-5...15 models, and part D4 for D-20 and later models with factory applied fillet

I've only got my P-51K boxing to hand (same as the D, except Dallas-built, of course), which doesn't have the 'C' sprue. However, the 'D' sprue (82100D) does indeed have the two fin fillets you mention.

HTH,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Are we there yet? This should be a nice change after building five Luftwaffe Twins :fool:. Ok, some may be reassigned to the D-Day GB later this year, but by September I hope these should all be built.

20240226_141837

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

The kit I have is 84184 which is labelled as a P-51D-10.  This has sprue D with a fuselage which has a filleted fin.  However the fillet needs to be attached and there are two choices, D4 and D5 which you mention above.

I would imagine that Sprue C is included in the relevant D-5 kit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I would recommend you to check with photos because I believe that some D5 have been retrofitted with the fin fillet ...

I've found a photo of this particular aircraft in 1946 and it does indeed have the fin fillet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Are we there yet? This should be a nice change after building five Luftwaffe Twins :fool:. Ok, some may be reassigned to the D-Day GB later this year, but by September I hope these should all be built.

20240226_141837

Hi VP

I see that you ready for this STGB Nice collection but I hope that you have some decals sheets to replace the Academy decals and also I would like to recommend you one ArmaHobby P 51 B and one Tamiya P 51 D  ...

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hi VP

I see that you ready for this STGB Nice collection but I hope that you have some decals sheets to replace the Academy decals and also I would like to recommend you one ArmaHobby P 51 B and one Tamiya P 51 D  ...

Best regards

Patrice

Xtradecals for three and Revell/Cartograph for one of the B/C:s, so that's sorted! I have so far built one each of both Tamiya and Airfix D:s. I like them both, these three just popped into my shopping bag one at a time, where Tamiya-san was nowhere to be seen. ArmaHobby is too delicate for me and they ask silly money for 1:72 scale kits, so in my opinion they can keep them...

5 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Xtradecals for three and Revell/Cartograph for one of the B/C:s, so that's sorted! I have so far built one each of both Tamiya and Airfix D:s. I like them both, these three just popped into my shopping bag one at a time, where Tamiya-san was nowhere to be seen. ArmaHobby is too delicate for me and they ask silly money for 1:72 scale kits, so in my opinion they can keep them...

Well I think that you have the best decals to replace the Academy ones ... 

I have built several Airfix and Tamiya Ds I agree with you the Airfix Mustang is probably more easy to find in the European shops and cheaper then the Tamiya One ...

Unfortunately the Armahobby kits are  too expensive for 1/72 scale kits ..

See you soon for the start of this Gb ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

The kit I have is 84184 which is labelled as a P-51D-10.  This has sprue D with a fuselage which has a filleted fin.  However the fillet needs to be attached and there are two choices, D4 and D5 which you mention above.

I would imagine that Sprue C is included in the relevant D-5 kit.

@vppelt68

This is the fuselage sprue D from my kit.

spacer.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

@vppelt68

This is the fuselage sprue D from my kit.

spacer.png

Yep, one of the fillet parts on the left is D4 and the other one D5. I checked from an Eduard kit with options for using both, that D5 is the one for the originally filletless, retrofitted Mustangs.

Caution! All that without ever handling any of the kit parts, just by reading various Eduard instructions at Scalemates :giggle:

V-P

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Yep, one of the fillet parts on the left is D4 and the other one D5. I checked from an Eduard kit with options for using both, that D5 is the one for the originally filletless, retrofitted Mustangs.

To be honest, the shape difference between the two fillets is imperceptible.  The panels lines are different though.  I personally think that Eduard could have got away with providing one fillet, but then I suppose they would have been loudly berated for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1