Minicraft (Hasagawa) Mig-17, ca. 1979...

On 3/6/2023 at 12:10 PM, Grandboof said:

I agree . Masking the black should work . The silver shouldn't be an issue so long as the black is well and truely cured 

Thank you Martin.  I'll get to it, however, I'm away from the bench for a week as of today, off-island for work.   I'll get back to it all next Sunday!

• 2 weeks later...

Home again, home again...jiggity jig.  And it's a good feeling.  Back to the daily routines and the bench.  

The masking proved to be difficult, so I did the best I could and will tidy up the edges after I remove the tape.  I used flexible masking tape and that helped, but it is not perfect.  Those swooshie shark fins on the fuselage were difficult to navigate.  The rest wasn't too hard.  Then I gave it some Vallejo Black primer.  I was thinking this morning in bed that the standard re-mask with tape will work on the nose areas and the walkways.  I think I might have to use liquid mask for the larger area with the compound curves.

52761419189_787f4590dd_z_d.jpg

52761659768_8e81ae9f5f_z_d.jpg

52761574795_d0308ff29f_z_d.jpg

52761419214_834626826a_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

On 2/20/2023 at 9:12 PM, John Masters said:

And a re-inventory of the parts in the box revealed that I am missing that all-important PF nose.  I must have cannabalized it in the past.  So I searched the stash.  It turns out the SMER (ex-KP) Mig-17PF nose fits like a glove.  So I need a ruling on this:

What a coincidence - I had a KP MiG-17PF with a missing nose as well on which I am working now!

Back when I did not have a clue (well, even less so than now, at least :) ) of the various subtypes of Fresco and their differences I had vague plans to convert it in a NVAF day fighter which was not available in model form at the time.

Since then I realised that the windscreen is rather different between the radarequipped and radarless versions. Of course I moved house about six times since then, so the nose piece went AWOL, but I did manage to duplicate one from a SMER kit with Green Stuff: 

20230326-110713.jpg

20230326-110719.jpg

And speaking of subtypes... feel free to disregard this, but there were two main production versions of all weather MiG-17's:

- the MiG-17PF, which had three NR-23 23 mm cannons (the single Nudelman N-37 37 mm cannon of the day fighters being replaced with a third smaller caliber weapon for CG reasons),

- and the MiG-17PFU, which dispensed with the cannon and featured a maximum load of four K-5/AA-1 "Alkali" missiles. 

So, a all weather MiG-17 can have either cannon or missiles, but not both. Hey, it's your model! 

Cheers, and sorry for the thread hijack!,

Andre 

I finally steeled myself and applied the Liquid Mask to the black areas.  Don't worry, the edges are covered, it's just thinner there than on other areas.  I still think I will have to do a fair amount of touch-up, but I am progressing.

52773900156_71446f15a2_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 10

On 29/03/2023 at 10:16, Grandboof said:

Looking forward to the unmasking .

Martin H

Without wanting to spoil things,  my moneys on there still being a Mig underneath :coat:

Looks the business :like:

22 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Without wanting to spoil things,  my moneys on there still being a Mig underneath

😁  I just gave it some primer Pat.  Pictures forthcoming...

On 3/29/2023 at 12:16 PM, Grandboof said:

Looking forward to the unmasking .

As am I!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 12:39 PM, Grandboof said:

Nice work John 

Thank you Martin.  I have been overwhelmed with work as of late so all of my builds have have come a standstill.  I did manage to get the landing gear on yesterday.  I'll post picture later.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks...I am afraid I will have to bow (gracefully) out of all of my GB commitments as I have too much other stuff going on.  I hope to be back to the bench by the time the Desert GB kicks off!  I'm terribly sorry.  I will continue to build and hope to finish what's on the bench, but not within the allotted spaces of time.  Terribly sorry!

--John

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• 5 weeks later...

Hi John

I'm really sorry to hear that, it looks to my untrained eye like its nearly finished ?

If you were to treat this like a blitzbuild you could have it finished in no time.

However I completely respect your decision and hope to catch up with you soon in the  🏜 GB

Cheers Pat 

I'm really very sorry Pat.  I am slowly getting back into the swing of things and I hope to finish the Mig.  Yes, you're right...not much left to do really.  And I have until July.  

As my bench clears (I have just wrapped up one build) I will add things back in.  The Mig will be one.  Thank you for the support!

--John

• Like 1

Landing gear.  Tires painted.  Gear doors attached.  I am leaving off the fuel pods and rockets--I've filled the holes with PPP.  Apparently this aircraft was an air display bird...

52932933683_1e7fd970b5_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

I really appreciate the other modellers who have 'liked' this build.  By and large they are far superior artisans than I.  This speaks to the general demeanour of this forum as whole.  It is indeed a welcoming and friendly place.  

Decal time.  I forgot the weight, so it is a tail-sitter.  Darn.  I will have to craft a clear pice for a tail support so it will sit on all three wheels.  

52940194612_93b9caf2e2_c_d.jpg

I have one extra Indonesian roundel.  That's ok.  I will let this dry over night, take care of some touch-up paint, give it a coat of satin varnish, some weathering...et voila!  I think by tomorrow or Friday it will be in the gallery.

52941254618_cb61c6c307_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 10

Calling it done.  I tried some pin washing with my usual oil paint mix and for some reason the white spirit began to strip away the acrylic layer and the paint, so I stopped and used regular acrylic thinner to clean the aircraft.  I will have to go back and touch up some very small bare spots, but that's it for this one.  I need to move along...

52943526168_9158df63ef_z_d.jpg

52942465047_a8c38ebe30_z_d.jpg

Mig shelves...

52942465037_c1af6895ef_z_d.jpg

Better pictures tomorrow for the gallery.  What's next?  I still have time in the GB...

--John

• Like 6