Hasegawa F-4E - Cat No E5

At one time this kit was the only real option for an F-4E.  Hard to believe, eh?  The kit was first issued in 1972.  This boxing is from 1980 with branding for the UK distributor, Hales.

spacer.png

Eventually during the 1980s, both Esci and Italeri released F-4E kits to compete with this one, which prompted Hasegawa to produce a new tool F-4 kit family in 1990.  Oddly enough, the replacement kits are only one year shy of being eligible for this GB! 

I bought this kit from that nice Mr Kingkit.  On opening the box I found that the bag containing the parts had not even been opened! 

spacer.png

The kit is typical early 70s Hasegawa fare, with very fine raised panel lines, an extremely sparse cockpit and crude details.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lots of ordnance including Falcon missiles which I believe were only rarely carried by F-4Es.  The MERs and TERs are extremely crude by modern standards.  That can be fixed easily, but I haven't yet decided whether I will improve the kit or complete it as a pure legacy build.

I built a number of these as a callow youth.  I'm looking forward to building another.  :thumbsup: 

• Like 10

19 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

What are the decals like from this era ?

Reliable or likely using replacements ?

Definitely require replacements.  The "white" is a horrid sickly cream colour.  The national insignia have weird proportions and a misaligned red stripe.

• Like 1

The first step is to buid the cockpit.  As I will be building it with the canopies closed, I simply added a rear bulkhead and then sprayed the cockpit interior grey.  The nosegear bay is while.

spacer.png

Plenty of room for ballast.

spacer.png

I then closed up the fuselage and painted the intake interiors.

spacer.png

• Like 7

Intakes in place.  Wing assembled ready for fitment.

spacer.png

Like so.  The kit ejection seats are as one would expect from a 70s vintage kit, so I have sort of upgraded them.  I used some parts from a Revell Tornado.  I'm hoping that no one will notice that they are not Martin-Baker Mk 7 seats because the canopies will be closed.  Don't tell anyone...  :)  

spacer.png

Canopy fitted and partially masked.

spacer.png

Here is how the seats will appear.  The ejection seat handles are by Eduard.

spacer.png

The model was then pre-primed with a coat of clear lacquer and primed with grey plastic car primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

• Like 7

The tan areas were masked off with Blutak worms, masking tape squares and Copydex.

spacer.png

The Green 34102 was sprayed using Lifecolor UA-561.  There was another round of masking and the Green 34079 was sprayed using Xtracrylix XA1110.

spacer.png

Masking removed.

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...