+++FINISHED+++ Ayrton Senna Lotus Honda 99t

In my ongoing Senna car builds, this Tamiya Lotus Honda 99t in the distinctive Camel logo fits this GB quite nicely. It was first released in 1987 by Tamiya and is Honda powered. Ive got the camel yellow paint in stock and a Studio 27 PE set in the post as we speak 😀

Looking forward to making a start once I've finished the Honda RA272 that's nearing completion on the bench. It should add a nice splash of colour to the GB to brighten the long winter nights if nothing else 😀 

20230212_221108

• Like 16

Very excited to follow this one.

I have the same kit waiting to be built.

A rare non helicopter kit purchase for me.

Must admit that I have even less clue what I am doing with an F1 car than a helicopter!

I shall watch and learn.

Really keen to see how the Studio 27 PE kit works out for you (which may tempt me to try and hunt one down).

Good luck....I shall be watching with interest.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AlxBNE said:

Very excited to follow this one.

I have the same kit waiting to be built.

A rare non helicopter kit purchase for me.

Must admit that I have even less clue what I am doing with an F1 car than a helicopter!

I shall watch and learn.

Really keen to see how the Studio 27 PE kit works out for you (which may tempt me to try and hunt one down).

Good luck....I shall be watching with interest.

I'll try not to disappoint with this then. I've only started building cars the last couple of years and I'm still on a learning curve myself.  I've used the odd bits of PE on a couple of rally car builds like disc rotors and grilles etc, but never on an F1 car, so we'll learn together :) 

The Tamiya cars I've built before go together really well, you just have to do a lot of pre painting first and you need to figure it all out beforehand as some parts will need to be finished and decalled before adding

Ian :~) 

• Like 1

I have a love/hate relationship with PE.

The Taniya 1/20 F1 kits have always been a temptation. So nearly good enough for me to not feel the need to embark on unrealistic scratch building of missing details but I suspect that some OE will really add to it.

Good insight regarding the mini stages needing to be completed individually before putting them together.

Are you planning to have the engine compartment closed up or engine on display?

Please will you show us what the PE set contains when it arrives in the post?

• Like 1

Delighted to see another F1 car in the GB especially one driven by Ayrton Senna.

With so many F1 car kits out there I'm sure this will encourage lots of others to build theirs in this GB

Good luck with this one

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, AlxBNE said:

I have a love/hate relationship with PE.

Are you planning to have the engine compartment closed up or engine on display?

Please will you show us what the PE set contains when it arrives in the post?

I feel the same with PE, some parts of it are that small and fiddly that I don't think it's worth it, but some parts really make a difference

I'm not sure yet, it all depends on how the body fits, how detailed the area looks and whether I can find decent detail pics of the engine area etc. and what time I have

I will post some pics when it arrives as I'm not 100% sure what all the pieces are for

:) 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Delighted to see another F1 car in the GB especially one driven by Ayrton Senna.

With so many F1 car kits out there I'm sure this will encourage lots of others to build theirs in this GB

Hopefully so, there are quite a few pre 90s F1 kits to have a bash at. Depending on how I go for time with this, I might even be able to squeeze another one in after :) 

That's a maybe Enzo, not a definite 🤣 🤣

Ian :) 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

I feel the same with PE, some parts of it are that small and fiddly that I don't think it's worth it, but some parts really make a difference

I'm not sure yet, it all depends on how the body fits, how detailed the area looks and whether I can find decent detail pics of the engine area etc. and what time I have

I will post some pics when it arrives as I'm not 100% sure what all the pieces are for

:) 

When you are hunting for good photos or reference material for the engine it is worth remembering that the Williams FW11B car used the same engine that season.

I have a few old F1 magazines from that period and will have a look through them. If you send me your email address I can send you anything I find that might be helpful.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AlxBNE said:

When you are hunting for good photos or reference material for the engine it is worth remembering that the Williams FW11B car used the same engine that season.

I have a few old F1 magazines from that period and will have a look through them. If you send me your email address I can send you anything I find that might be helpful.

That would be great 👍 

I'll PM you my email

Thank you 😁 

This is going to make me want to go check the date on the Williams car I have barely started....  :whistle:

Looking forward to this.

Edit:  Just went and checked Scalemates.  Oldest F1 kit I have is indeed the Williams, at 1990.  Being in the grey area, I'll probably just stick w/ the original plan.  Nice to see some of these old F1 kits getting built though.  B)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Good luck with this one

Cheers Pat 

A blast from the past.....

this is an ad in Scale Models International Jan 1988

p?i=61589d7c78ab56b67d67a7e9eeb4c02a

Inspiration?

Nostalgia?

....oh how I wish I could pick these up for 4.99 these days!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Bench cleared of builds and raring to go (won't be that tidy again for a while) :) 

Probably not going to have any time over the weekend though as I'm off playing steam engines

Monday it is then :) 

Been wanting to build this one for a while now

Ian :) 

• Like 1

Finally made a start last night, attached and filled the radiator intakes to the body and filled the joints. Removed the horrible moulded in seat belts so I can use some aftermarket ones. Smoothed the filler off the joints this morning before work. Nothing worth photos yet, but at least I've made a start prepping some bits 😀

• Like 2

More prep work done at work this evening during my break. I decided that seeing as the metal PE washers were in the Studio 27 detail kit, I might as well have a go at fitting them, if they don't work out I can always leave the body on and nobody will be the wiser. I removed all the raised rivets last night and got a coat of primer on this morning. Got the black coat on tonight and it looks to have dried ok. Floor pan and seat also in paint and the main body in primer so I could see if the joints need any more filling, but they look ok TBH, that's a first for me :)

20230223_184523

• Like 9

Managed to get all the suspension bits into paint ready and the front body side panels. Also did a test on fitting the PE washers, luckily I've got another 99t kit in the stash without the raised bits removed so I know where they have to go. 3 on each side tonight and the ring around the fuel tank? top as well. Look so much better than paint blobs. Just going to take a bit of time and patience though 

20230224_220315

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, AlxBNE said:

The PE does look really good, definitely better than paint blobs but also definitely more stressful and more time consuming.

Great work so far.

Thanks, the PE is definitely time consuming, I think it'll work out in the end though. Just have to do a few at a time so I don't go mad or cross eyed. 

Had a productive evening tonight with the PE stuff. Managed to get all of the front washers fixed on and the ones around the top of the tank. Also fitted the thin front and rear wing end plates to the wings, had to razor saw the front plastic ones off first which was a nervy time. I must admit that the wing ends look so much more to scale than the plastic ones in the kit. Ive also had to modify the mount on the gearbox so I can fit the rear wing right at the end. Time to rest the old eyes now 😀

20230227_215135 20230227_215211

• Like 10

Tub pretty much done now, all the washers on and seatbelts and cockpit installed. Metal foiled the turbo heatshields on the floor as well. All the body work is primed and hopefully top coat on and clear coat at weekend as I need to add the front lower side plates before I can build the front suspension. 

20230301_212514

• Like 8

Looking great!

I had this kit, at about age 15. I was trying to be a serious modeller so I tried to mix the yellow colour (from dim recollection there was a proportion set out in the instructions).

Of course I screwed it up, and ruined the kit. Looking at that yellow plastic, I probably should have just left it unpainted.

Yours is going to look a lot better!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Looking great!

I had this kit, at about age 15. I was trying to be a serious modeller so I tried to mix the yellow colour (from dim recollection there was a proportion set out in the instructions).

Thanks

It is a weird orange yellow, glad that Tamiya Camel yellow is available in a TS spray now though. 

Ian 😀