Hasegawa 1/72 Morser Karl (released 1976) - Finished

BA81D235-DC0E-4958-B0D1-8C54549733D5.jpgProbably my sole entry for the GB, as surprisingly I don’t have that many Japanese kits in the stash. I do have a few Tamiya kits that I might build depending on time, my other builds etc.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 10

• Marklo changed the title to Hasegawa 1/72 Morser Karl (released 1976)
1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

This and the long railway gun was always the kits I looked at in Beatties as a nipper. :wub:

My dad had one of the Leopolds which he never built and my elder brother disposed of :( 

And yes I think they both fitted OO gauge track which is I think 1/76 scale. The Leopold came with a length of track as a display stand must check the Karl.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Marklo said:

they both fitted OO gauge track which is I think 1/76 scale

and therein lies the problem for modellers. OO gauge track is 16.5mm which against standard gauge of 1,435mm (4ft 8.5 in) works out at 1:87. This is the railway scale adopted by most of the world. Due to the smaller UK loading gauge manufacturers adopted 1:76 as their scale as this allowed the then available motors to fit. Thus in 1:76 scale the track is narrow at 4ft 1.5 in, moving to 1:72 scale means the track is even narrower at 3 ft 10in.

This in no way reduces the interest in this build. I built the Leopard many years ago so will be following this build with interest.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

B9-AF3-A87-4131-4837-B38-D-8-A1-E3-C0362

Having decided to go for the dark yellow, green and brown scheme, I’ve started some careful brush painting. Still  a lot more to paint and I’m wondering if I should have broken out the airbrush…

14 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Let's hope the wheels are flash-free!

Actually it’s very nicely molded. I find that of what I think of as the top tier manufacturers only Revel kits have flash issues. Conversely on some brands I’ll be humming that Queen some to myself as I model :) 

time for a semi related musical interlude, I think so….

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

I almost bought one of these when they first appeared in the shops over here - seem to remember I could not decide whether to go for this "rail carrier" version or the one running on its tracks with the modified Panzer IV "munitionspanzer" included! I will watch with interest.

Pete

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

IMG-2243.jpgAnd a bit more assembly and paint. I’m brush painting piecewise with desert yellow but I’ll finish it off with airbrushed dark yellow and camo, using the desert yellow as a preshade.

• Like 4

IMG-2250.jpgI have run out of bits for Karl. The astute among you may notice I’m missing two handles (one broke one   has been claimed by the carpet monster) so I’ll have to scratch some replacements, just as well I bought some .4mm brass rod last week. 

Time to let the glue set an finish off the bogies.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

resized_c3a0b157-1258-4366-9d25-d4f25b9cThat’s all the sub assemblies complete and ready for paint. In case you’re wondering the bogies dnd lifts are in dark yellow and the moser is in desert yellow which for some reason I switched to mid build. It should all of course be dunklegelb or in other words dark yellow.

So paint, I’m going for the later war three colour camo, last few bits of assembly, a few decals and a bit of weathering and it’s done…..

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

IMG-2434.jpg

A coat of dark yellow over everything.

IMG-2447.jpg

Camo on and the main sub assemblies assembled.

IMG-2453.jpg

Everything fitted together.

Next a bit of dirt and weathering and we’re done.

• Like 10