Revell 1:16 scale BMW...

Neddy

That's a sweet little model!  Lovely job and thanks for the tip.  The Revell decals are excellent quality but I don't think they'd look right on the Isetta.  Thanks again all for your input. 

Right, it now has wheels...

spacer.png

...and to rectify an odd deficiency I scratched a screenwash bottle and fitted it where it's supposed to go on the engine bulkhead.  I suspect this may only apply to UK marketed models, possibly due to vehicle regs in existence at the time.

I was also going to wire the engine but there are so few wires, all of which are completely hidden once the body is fitted, that it seemed a pointless struggle to attempt it.

Having completed that stage I trial-fitted the bodyshell prior to prepping it for spraying...

spacer.png

...and all of a sudden it starts to look like a bubble-car.  Thanks for looking in, more when I've got started on spraying it.

• Like 11

Oh I dunno, the Heinkel/Trojan Kabine I owned back in the 1960s was a real bundle of fun and it's diminutive size didn't worry me then.  A Swiss manufacturer has produced an EV based on this exact shape called the Microlino and if ever forced into an urban EV runabout I'll seriously consider one! 

• Like 1

Two light coats of white primer and several airbrushed coats of Revell Aqua No 50 Light Blue gloss, applied over several days, has resulted in a slightly better look...

spacer.png

Now I need to let it harden off properly before continuing with the build.

• Like 12

Having let the paint harden off I'm now onto the fun bit, final assembly.  It'll take a while, there's a lot still to do.

Starting with the door, the outer and inner skins were glued together...

spacer.png

before fitting the instrument panel (such as it is!), mirror, sunvisor and pull-handle.

spacer.png

The bodyshell was then mounted on the chassis/floorpan assembly.  At this point I was really impressed by Revell's kit quality - the 'shell locates onto the chassis/floor by four pillars terminating in very slim pins that go into holes in the correspomding mating surfaces, high up inside the 'shell and totally invisible should any wiggling or wrangling be needed to align them accurately.  A trial fit saw them locate instantly and positively which was a great relief!  Removing it, applying cement to the pins and relocating it took but a few minutes with no hassle at all.  Nice one, Revell.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now I can start prettying things up a bit.  Starting at the rear, light units, bumper and reg plate were assembled and fitted (all had been pre-painted prior to this date)...

spacer.png

...then the sidelights were assembled and fitted, the 'shell was masked up and the chromework painted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's it for now, I'm letting that lot set before proceeding further.  Thanks as always for your interest.

• Like 9

Reached a bit of a milestone today.  Fitted all the window glass apart from the door...

spacer.png

...which like everything else on this superbly made kit fitted perfectly.  Then the part I've been half dreading, half looking forward to - assembling the articulated steering column, connecting it to the swivelling mount in the floor and hanging the door.  Once again everything went together with far less drama than I was expecting and works perfectly, the door hinges aligned exactly with the shell, the door closing precisely on the catch which in turn works a treat, and above all the steering column rotating smoothly on two axes as the door opens and closes, swinging out of the way just as it does on the real thing.  It may not seem much to the more experienced precision modellers but it gave me a real lift - not to mention a sigh of relief! - when it all went exactly as intended.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Only the windscreen, bumpers, sunroof and external trim to fit now.  Watch this space...

• Like 11

That is lovely. I think anyone irrespective of their experience would be pleased to have the door open and the rest working as intended.

Still can't get my head around the fact this is 1/16 scale. Seems so small!🙂

Looking forward to the completion.

Nick

• Thanks 1

Got to agree with Nick, I think the moment when you find a door opens (and even more so closes) correctly is always a big relief. Looking very good, and doesn't appear that it will be long now until you have this completed.

• Thanks 1

Very nice job so far on your Isetta. I built this same kit when it was first released in 2016 for childhood nostalgia reasons. My parents gave me a tin toy version of this car when I was 5 or 6 which was about the same size (6” - 7” long) as this model. Here’s a few pics of one for sale on eBay which also has an opening door although without the articulated steering wheel-column:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looking forward to watching your blue one  come to completion!

Edited by nearsightedjohn
Content correction
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Windscreen fitted (I unashamedly filched an idea from another member - sadly I can't remember their name but many thanks! - and ran a black indelible marker round the edge to represent the rubber seal).  Headlamps added (beautifully made three-piece units which even offered a choice of "eyebrow" visors or not), door handle, wiper, badging, rear luggage rack, bumper and sunroof - again with the option of open or closed.  I could even have added a suitcase strapped to the luggage rack but it looked a bit incongruous and hid some nice detail so it was cast aside.

This model is now complete and I await your comments.  I have to admit it gave me enormous pleasure building it and it's possibly the best quality kit I've built to date.  I'll put a couple of pics below but the main bulk of the images will be in the RFI thread which can be found here.  Thanks for your interest and comments, it really adds to the enjoyment to know others are watching the progress - even if they're laughing at it! 😆

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6