Revell 1:16 scale BMW...

Neddy

...Isetta 250.  (I wonder how many of you have clicked on this thread only to be disappointed?   :evil_laugh:)

After the Mustang this is like going from the sublime to the ridiculous but I've always had a fondness for bubblecars having owned a Heinkel/Trojan Kabine in my teens - I wish I could find a Kabine kit but no luck so far, therefore this is as close as I can get to one.  You need a sense of humour to own one but the grin factor is enormous, I had more fun driving that thing than any other car since and I've had a few firebreathers over the years.  It is often said (and proven hilariously by the indescribable Jeremy Clarkson) that 3-wheelers are unstable but that doesn't apply to bubblecars, they sit so low that their CG is only a few inches (a few cm in new money) off the ground and it's almost impossible to roll one.

However, back to the plot...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

First impressions of the kit (supplied as a pre-owned by Kingkit and well up to their excellent standards) are good, moulding quality is very good, the kit is comprehensive (an awful lot of parts to go into such a small car!), the decals are innovative (including whitewall striping for the tyres and tartan-like seat covers) and the instructions are very clear, in full colour and including a colour guide which even gives the Revell paint codes.

The engine is first to be assembled (a far cry from the Ford 289 V8 mounted in the last model!) and the parts fit is excellent, much better (as you'd expect) than the AMTs I've been building of late...

spacer.png

...more anon....

• Like 17

Definitely not disappointed. Not only is this much more interesting than any modern BMW (i8 possibly excepted), but it also has the added advantage of not having been pulverised into submission with the ugly stick.

Looks as though it should be a fun one to build.

@CrazyCrank: Yup!  While they're a pretty basic machine there are already details I've noted that are missing from the kit, the screenwash bottle for a start.  There's not much wiring to be done with a single cylinder aircooled engine but I plan on doing that if I can.

• Like 2

Now the chassis, first painted...

spacer.png

...before fitting the exhaust system and horn, then mounting the engine assembly.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's a bit different (to say the least!) from building a conventional vehicle as everything is an unexpected shape and in an unexpected place!  The parts fit and moulding quality continues to be excellent and I have to admit I'm enjoying this build.

Next will be the floor pan, essentially an integral part of the structure as it's stepped, the seat sits on top of it and the engine beneath it.  More painting to do before there's anything further to show.  Stay tuned folks...

• Like 10

It's starting to come together now but looking distinctly scrofulous as the various sub-assemblies are painted only where necessary.  Chassis, floorpan and seat...

spacer.png

look a lot better when trial-fitted...

spacer.png

I tried to keep it as stock as I could but every one still in existence has been restored and the majority restomodded as regards interior, so I decided to do what I did with my own bubblecar back in the day.  The heater is rudimentary to say the least and one's feet get pretty cold as there's only a single thin steel sheet 'twixt them and the ground, so I carpeted it which was a great improvement.  I noted that several 1:1 Isettas have also gone this route, so I thought "flock it".

More when the paint has hardened!

• Like 8

Only a couple of operations today but they've been quite effective.  Isetta seats originally had a check patterned, almost tartan-style fabric and Revell have cunningly represented this using decals...

spacer.png

Which are well designed, accurately shaped and applied pretty easily using Matt's valuable article as a guide.  The end result is quite effective.

I also flocked the cabin floor and wheelarches which again turned out quite well...

spacer.png

It'll look neater when the interior side panels are fitted.  More soon, thanks for your interest.

• Like 8

More progress over the last few days...

The interior side panels are now fitted, along with the pedal assembly, steering column pedestal, handbrake and gear lever.  I had to be careful to keep the solvent away from the steering column knuckle joint leaving it free to pivot.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I then returned to the chassis while that lot was setting.  The steering linkage was dry assembled...

spacer.png

...and the transmission and rear suspension added t'other end...

spacer.png

...then finally the chassis and floorpan/interior assemblies mated together.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Once again I'm really impressed by the moulding quality and accuracy of this kit.  Being more used to AMT/MPC than Revell the higher quality is - dare I say it? - a Revellation.  (Sorry, I'll see myself out)  :blush:

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 6

Opinions please.  I've just completed the wheel assemblies and they've come out so well I'm leaning towards leaving them as they are, as opposed to applying whitewall decals which I'm not totally confident will look natural...

spacer.png

As I'm going for the UK standard single-colour look as opposed to the Continental blue/white two-tone scheme I'm of the opinion that whitewall tyres would look a bit fussy with it.  What do you think?

• Like 7

Full white walls created by decals, on rubber/vinyl tyres, doesn't sound like the optimal combination imo. Also, as you say, I'm not so sure it would look right on this type of car, it would perhaps look more like a very over restored car of today, probably also fitted with a couple of flower vases and a ton of extra chrome parts and more. I would go with standard plain tyres, especially on a single colour car. But that's just me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts exactly Jörgen, thanks for the reassurance.  I didn't want to overdo it and end up with something looking like an ice-cream cart!

(THINKS:  I never thought of flower vases...:think:

• Like 2