Tamiya Dambuster Lancaster 1:48th

It's some time that I joined a GB, but there is a kit in my stash that meets all the requirements to enter.

Just to say it also meets my, self imposed, rule of only building models with a North Essex / South Suffolk theme.

Picture, background and new title to follow.

This will be a slow build.

• Like 3

It's certainly big and Japanese and dates from 1975

52689175979_38505cc674.jpg

only part of the puzzle I have to explain, unless someone else answer, is what is the link to North Essex?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Paul821 changed the title to Tamiya Dambuster Lancaster 1:48th

Great to see this big Lanc being presented within a GB. It’s also a timely reminder that for well over 40 years Tamiya’s  Lancasters were the only 1/48 examples of this famous Bomber going around and still build up quite well despite their age.

Having recently visited Scalemates and looked at the various kits that fall into this GB’s criteria, it’s obvious that Japanese kit design and production in the 70’s and 80’s was so far ahead of anything else at the time. Although I grew up in this era, I’m starting to release it more as I get older. This GB should unearth a great range of subjects and this big Lanc is certainly one of them. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 2

The North Essex link...

Although the Dambusters film focuses on the Derwent dam this was not the only location used for pre-ops training. The "Enemy Coast Ahead" Guy Gibson wrote "For the River Rhine we had the River Trent, for the Ruhr Hills we had the Cotswolds, for the Mohne Lake we had Uppingham Reservoir, which was much the same shape though, of course, much smaller. Colchester Lake gave us a good idea of the calm waters of the Eder Reservoir. In fact, everything was much the same".

"Colchester Lake" is actually Abberton Reservoir and had only been completed in 1939.

Although, as stated, this will be a slow build it would be good to complete it by 16th May for the 80th Anniversary of the raid.

• Like 6

Looking forward to this, I've got exactly the same kit that I've had since sometime in the 70s as well. Never got round to building it as yet as I don't know where I'd put it. Same with the Airfix 1/24 P51D Mustang as well. 😀

Ian 😀 

Superb choice Paul,one of those kit's I think most of us would love to have a go at before we call it a day modelling wise,always mega expensive in my mind but now a modern

1/48 jet kit would outstrip it so now really good value for money for what you can pick them up for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

1/48 jet kit would outstrip it so now really good value for money for what you can pick them up for

For research I have been looking at the current Revell & Airfix 617 Lanc's and their detail seems to match and even exceed the Tamiya model, At the current price of between $90 & £100 the Hong Kong Models one looks more a lot more detailed for £20 more, although if you want a Dambuster at 1:48 Tamiya is the only option.  People obviously want the Tamiya model as thet seem to go for a reasonable £60 - £80 on ebay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As @JOCKNEY has been checking up on build progress, I'm sorry to say I have nothing to report as far as progress goes.

I was planning on making a start this week but the builders came back to do some more work on my modelling room, and I need to prime a few parts and as I don't yet have an extractor in the new model room, any rattle can priming has to take place in the garage and a the temperature this week has struggled to into positive numbers that has been impossible. Looks like 12 degrees on Sunday and Monday so I hope to make a start then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

My congratulations on managing to get a builder to turn up at all.

This might be a good time to buy a lottery ticket  :rofl:

Cheers Pat

Actually I co own the small building company but they're too busy earning money or larger jobs so have to fit me in between those jobs.