1/32 Boeing F4B-4. ++Finished++

My entry is Hasegawa’s 1/32 Boeing F4B. Scalemates has this first kitted in 1971. The box has certainly seen better days.

52654596408_faabba1c9f_b.jpg

Parts are on two sprues, interestingly they are on different colour plastic. The wings are a silvery plastic, the second sprue is grey. Whether it was released like this or I have sprues from two different boxings I don’t know.

Boeing F4B

Not many parts but a lot of ejector pin marks that will need cleaning up. Hoping for a quick build.

The decals are showing their age, so I will be using a sheet from Yellow Wings Decals.

Boeing F4B

Boeing F4B

• Like 14

Tail feathers added. The lower wing is just dry fitted at the moment. Next step is to check I have drilled out all the holes for the rigging.

Boeing F4B-4

Been looking at the Yellow Wings decals, they look really nice. The sheet gives you four colourful options, with enough national insignia and stencils to build all four. 

VF-3 USS Ranger. Red bands, Willow Green tail.

VB-2 USS Lexington. Green bands, Lemon Yellow tail

VF-6 USS Saratoga. Black bands, White Tail

VF-10M USMC. Blue bands

For the 2018 GB Carriers Ahoy I built the 1/700 Trumpeter USS Saratoga, so that made the choice easy.

• Like 6

Looking great John and the raised panel lines are exactly what this aircraft needs. I dare say if it was tooled up again, chances are they would not better this vintage kit’s details. So with original moulds and nice new decals, you’re definitely onto a winner here. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Nice work so far JB. Like Steve I've not been able to find a copy of this kit at a reasonable price so if you don't mind we'll live vicariously by enjoying your progress :) 

Spent some time at the bench this morning. Got the fuselage primed and then painted light grey. Will leave it a couple of days before masking and spraying the tail feathers white.

Also primed the upper wing, using the power of pink primer for the yellow upper wing.

Boeing F4B-4

• Like 7

Thanks for your kind words.

Made a start on the decals, they are very thin and grab very quickly making positioning them difficult. Need to get it right first time.

Boeing F4B-4

Couple of things to tidy up, will use some spare black decal to extend the chevron.

They provide decals for the propeller tips, I have never had much success with them, so will be masking and painting the tips.

• Like 7

Calling this one done. Had to scratch a windscreen as the kit one was missing.

Boeing F4B-4

Boeing F4B-4

A thoroughly enjoyable build. 

I still have the 1/32 Curtiss BF2C-1 in the stash. That will have to wait for another GB (maybe the proposed Curtiss GB) as my build programme is full with the TLC and F-8/A-7 GBs starting.

I look forward to following the other builds in this GB.

• Like 5

That’s turned out really lovely. Please take some new photos with a plain background to showcase your excellent work. Nicely done on a kit that still holds its own today. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Jb65rams changed the title to 1/32 Boeing F4B-4. ++Finished++