Dragon 1/72 Jagdtiger

After a very long break, I’m finally getting back to completing the Dragon 1/72 Jagdtiger. This was originally started as part of a group build back in 2019 but life got in the way. There’s a lot of photos documenting the build in the completed group builds section - I guess I’m going to be about four years late for the GB but perhaps another one will come along before I finish this little beast?!

I restarted working on this a couple of weeks ago - I had problems with the Dragon tracks being too short, which looked unrealistic and they were so tight that they snapped the drive sprockets off. I made new axles from brass rod and spliced in some of the spare tracks from the kit. One side is complete apart from track painting.

I also added the decals, gave it a coat of Matt varnish and started the weathering process. I’m going to go easy on this - from what I have read, most JTs saw very little action.

Photos from 2019 - Dragon 1/72 kit plus PE from ET Model.

Jagdtiger

Jagdtiger

Jagdtiger

Jagdtiger

Jagdtiger

Jagdtiger

Jagdtiger

And now in 2023, showing recent progress. The kit suffered a bit of minor damage in storage, so some repairs and touching up of previous work is required.

1/72 Jagdtiger 2023

The replacement front axle from brass rod.

1/72 Jagdtiger 2023 1/72 Jagdtiger 2023 1/72 Jagdtiger 2023 Dragon Jagdtiger front

The grey area is the spliced in styrene spare track links. Some of these have been painted and hung on the hooks that I added.

More updates to follow - thanks for looking, Andrew 

Edited by Sancho Panzer
More ramblings added……
  • Like 9

Hi Sancho,

Great job with the PEs, and on such a scale, amazing effort.... And a lovely job with the tritone camo, I tried to make my Jagdtiger Henschel at 1/35 of TAKOM, and in the end, I left it for a sand finish... although I'm also liking the result... 3 JTs have gathered on the forum simultaneously...lol

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sardaukar said:

Very nice job, although I could see half those PE hooks falling off if I just looked at it funny. Great work.

Thanks for your kind words, and yes - the track hooks did break off very easily when they were just superglued directly on to the sides. I removed them all and soldered a copper wire pin onto each hook and drilled corresponding holes in the casemate. This took a long time, although they are now much more secure. 

I’ve refitted the rear deck machine gun mount which had become detached. This was made from parts in the PE set and part scratch built from brass tube and copper wire. Bending and soldering the three supporting struts at the base was fiddly but fun.

I’m going to make a stock for the MG34 from plastic card as it looks odd without one. 

52684723632_ef2124bc86_b.jpg 52685238276_921cec0960_b.jpg 52684723487_89eb386503_b.jpg 52685542364_0e047e9a90_b.jpg 52684744777_079852bb97_b.jpg

• Like 7