MB 151C.1, Rouen-Boos, 1940, S/Lt. Ellis...from Dora Wings

9 hours ago, John Masters said:

Yes, and how much are we willing to take before we say, 'Into the bin!'

This has already crossed my mind, but seeing you solve problems and carry on is encouraging me. She's looking good, well done!

10 hours ago, Eric B. said:

Be of good courage  😉

Thanks!  I will.

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

This has already crossed my mind, but seeing you solve problems and carry on is encouraging me. She's looking good, well done!

Push on mate!

• Like 1

Good morning John 

I am very happy to see that you solve your problems ..

I must confess that If I had encouter the same problems I would have gave up and the kit would have finished into the bin ..   

Best of luck for the rest of your build ...

Patrice 

On 2/23/2023 at 9:57 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I am very happy to see that you solve your problems

Me too Patrice.  Thank you.

On 2/23/2023 at 1:41 PM, Andwil said:

You’re making a fine job of scratch building a Bloch 151 out of this kit!

🤣🤣🤣  Indeed!

On 2/23/2023 at 2:32 PM, Wings unlevel said:

Glad to hear it can yield a great result, it is after all, a great looking aeroplane, that’s for sure.

Like so many French aircraft of the 1930s: very pretty to look at but sadly all but obsolete obsolete just as they climbed into the air.

Meanwhile, bak on the bench.  I have put the two big pieces together.  As soon has it's dry I'll fill in the gaps in the wing roots and anywhere else it might need it.

52712028557_c64236de57_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

Filler, stabilizers, rudder, engine construction...I am hoping I have crossed over the hump and am now in a land where everything fits and my only worries will be the unique paint job.

Wing roots...

52714672905_5c06cc96f4_z_d.jpg

Underside...I used a bit of plastic strip here too because the gap was quite large.  My fault, not the maker.

52714725103_dc0f7a5d34_z_d.jpg

Sorry about the angle.  I attached the stabilizers and rudder and it seems this was the best way to keep everything in line.  I checked this morning and all is well.

52714511089_8df650375f_z_d.jpg

Beautifully molded Gnome-Rhône 14N-35 in three parts and firewall.

52714725133_9861516026_z_d.jpg

This was odd.  The little nubbin that is supposed to sit in between the cylinder heads of the engine is far too large.  I just took it off and then it fit.  Was that mistake?

I'll find out in our next episode!

52714511074_a111084d2d_z_d.jpg

Engine looks good.  And I left it there for the night.

52714672945_0187a3bfde_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

Hi John, 

If I may, and if memory serves, you'll need to file cylinder heads for them to fit into engine ring (cowling).

Again, well detailed and beautifully moulded parts with the same "a few tenth of millimeters issue" that translate into fitting issues.

Not a difficult job but very upsetting when you need to do that filing after engine is painted and lovingly detailed.

Try first with this kit

All the best.... 

Eric B.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric B. said:

If I may, and if memory serves, you'll need to file cylinder heads for them to fit into engine ring (cowling).

Again, well detailed and beautifully moulded parts with the same "a few tenth of millimeters issue" that translate into fitting issues.

Not a difficult job but very upsetting when you need to do that filing after engine is painted and lovingly detailed.

Thank you Eric.  I was anticipating the same issue so I am glad you confirmed it beforehand.  I just painted the engine and will take care of the cowling, etc...tomorrow.  I have also discovered the PE pieces are also very tightly attached to their sprue.  How did you get your gunsight so straight and true?

The more I build this kit the more I wish it were a kit from AZModels or KP.  The detail is only a little better from Dora and the Czech kits go together much better, imho.

Wheel halves?  Please.  Anyway, I am here now.  

52715193597_76887a1031_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

I have assembled the cowling and, as @Eric B. warned, the motor is far too large to fit inside.  I'll have to take off a lot of the cylinder heads to get it to fit.  Also, a test fit on the nose of the aircraft showed that it will also be a tight fit. Fettle, fettle...

52723636261_ff5ec86627_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

Engine, cowling attached.  I think the skew is correct.  Also assembled the prop and spinner.  Test fit of this showed that the little bit of prop axle sticking out was unnecessary so I snipped it off.  The cowling just barely fit.  It's only being held on with thin glue.  No mounting points, poorly molded, imho.  But it's beginning to take shape.  If @Eric B. can make such a beauty then I can approach this level if I persevere.  

52727944376_21c096c988_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Back at it.  I have a lot of irons in the fire these days, and that's not counting the bench.  So please be patient.  

It'll be a closed cockpit, so the glass goes on with the very perfectly cut masks made out of rubbery vinyl that doesn't really stick very well.  I will go back with kabuki tape and fix that later.  

52768852091_ec2540bb4f_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

I got back to mine yesterday, too. I'll update my progress on my WIP thread, of course, but I have to say a big "thank you" to you, because I think your experience helped make mine easier. Yours is looking great. I'm at the point myself where I have a bit of a better attitude about the kit. She does look pretty good once together and with the battles behind you... hope you're feeling similar. Cheers!

Thank you @ModelingEdmontonian!  Yes, it feels like the worst might be over.  Looking at the remains bits on the sprue it seems to be landing gear, prop and some struts.  And the PE gun sight.  That'll be at the end, I think.  But for now, as of last night, I went ahead and gave her some grey primer.  

52773900186_3644e2dd8d_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, John Masters said:

PE gun sight.

This has me nervous... I'm not much into PE and this looks impossible!

20 minutes ago, John Masters said:

landing gear, prop and some struts

I've already worked with these and mostly had no issues (after the cockpit, wheel well, and cowling/engine, not much seems difficult!). For me just the antenna mast, pitot tube, and whatever that thing underneath is are left to work with, and I don't think any of those should cause much issue. It's just that darn gun sight that has me worried. Oh, and the canopy and wing screen seem fine, not so sure about navigation and landing lights.

Anyway, yours is looking great with primer! Thanks again for blazing the trail for me!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 9:20 AM, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Thanks again for blazing the trail for me!

You're welcome!

Time for paint.

The Light Blue Grey underside first...

52799052877_ca07dd816d_z_d.jpg

This is how it looks.

52799052957_3fe9a11327_z_d.jpg

More to come.  

--John

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi folks...I am afraid I will have to bow (gracefully) out of all of my GB commitments as I have too much other stuff going on.  I hope to be back to the bench by the time the Desert GB kicks off!  I'm terribly sorry.  I will continue to build and hope to finish what's on the bench, but not within the allotted spaces of time.  Terribly sorry!

--John

• Like 1
  • Sad 3