Kinetic 1/48 Republic F-84F Thunderstreak

Hello all,

I finished this last year and I heard yesterday it will be published in the March issue of SAM, which will have plenty of in progress photos (I hope!). In the meantime, here are some images of the finished product.

This is Kinetic's first kit which I've modified quite heavily. The tail has been shortened and the large parachute housing replaced with a scratchbuilt keel. The nose was replaced with the more accurate resin QB version and the wingtip lights removed for smaller versions to be added. The nose pitot is brass tubing. The markings are based on decals provided by SuperScale.

It's a rough enough kit, but I enjoyed making it and I think it's a superb looking aircraft. Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

Jon

F84F_12.jpg

F84F_03.jpg

F84F_08.jpg

F84F_11.jpg

F84F_14.jpg

F84F_21.jpg

F84F_20.jpg

F84F_22.jpg

F84F_24.jpg

In-Progress_34a.jpg

In-Progress_37.jpg

F84F_34.jpg

F84F_33.jpg

F84F_35.jpg

• Like 66
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask you a question? I'm currently building a Thunderstreak also and I'm looking at your build. What kind of color have you used for the "split" part in the air intake? I've looked at a lot of pictures and those are mostly black and white, and I can't make out a definitive colour.. I can see that the air intake itself is I think black, but the split is metallic. Steel? Aluminium?

Edited by Fred piket
Adding text

2 minutes ago, Fred piket said:

Can I ask you a question? I'm currently building a Thunderstreak also and I'm looking at your build. What kind of color have you used for the "split" part in the air intake? I've looked at a lot of pictures and those are mostly black and white, and I can't make out a definitive colour.. I can see that the air intake itself is I think black, but the split is metallic. Steel? Aluminium?

I have no idea what it should be, but mine is duraluminum.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Not, I will readily admit, one of my favourite 1950s era jets but, as always Jon, you have done a superb job with a kit which I believe is not one of Kinetics' best.

I look forward to reading the article in SAM

Well Done, Sir ! 

• Thanks 1