Takom Jagdtiger 1:35. Beastmode on! *finished*

Maddoxx77

Tonight i tried to assemble the PE fenders. 

First i took care of the bended front fenders.....

And after learning some new curse words they went in the bin.... i mean, plastic front fenders are looking better then the mess i made.

Then it was time for the rear fenders. With those i had more succes. 

20230212-205929.jpg

20230212-210520.jpg

I'll admit they are not as clean as some of the guys here make them but i'm very proud of my work.

So, apart from some minor parts that i still have to put on the model, the main build stage is complete.

20230212-213726.jpg

20230212-213742.jpg

So next step is going to be weels and tracks. 

Time for a beer.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

Edited by Maddoxx77
Double post
  • Like 9

Damn that photoetch! 🤣

The rear fenders look great Maddox ..... you're certainly not letting the beast get the better of you! 

Keith  😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob Maynard said:

looking great so far! How is the kit going together overall?

It's a tricky one. The detail on the kit is great. Weldlines, flamecut marks etc. It's all there. But the fit of the parts is poor. There is alot of flash and seamlines to clean and i had a number of parts that i had to rework before the fit was good. 

I think it's a good kit in terms of vallue for money but it certainly is not a beginners kit.

Still have to start with the tracks so i don't know yet how they will go together. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Maddoxx,

Very good work, and the PEs that you have finished look well worked. Personally, for me, PEs are a pain in the bottom, and I only use them when there is no plastic part in the kit, or there is really a big difference in detail from the original part of the kit. On the other hand, once painted, it is not known if it is metal or plastic, so a lot of the work done before, some magnificent metal pieces, that literally shine, is lost under the paint...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Maddoxx,

Very good work, and the PEs that you have finished look well worked. Personally, for me, PEs are a pain in the bottom, and I only use them when there is no plastic part in the kit, or there is really a big difference in detail from the original part of the kit. On the other hand, once painted, it is not known if it is metal or plastic, so a lot of the work done before, some magnificent metal pieces, that literally shine, is lost under the paint...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

You are right. In this case i have to be honest, the PE fenders are a lot more detailed then the plastic parts. I was pretty bummed that the front fender became such a mess ( due to the fact i had to bend parts around a 0,3 mm rod and my sausage brain could not steer my sausage fingers in a proper way resulting in some mangeled PE part ) But the added detail is why i bought them. Also i want to learn to work with PE. 

In alot of kits these days PE is becoming more comon so it's more mandatory then optional. With that knowledge i want to work with PE to get used to it in stead of beeing intimidated by it. 

And i know these backfenders don't look as clean and neat as they should be but the fact that i managed to fold everything correctly, put together some hinges that you can barely see with the naked eye and i even put in a little wingnut the size of a microbe in the correct location fills me with a feeling of pride. The kit as a whole fills me with pride simply because little more than a year ago i couldn't tackle something like this. That means i'm  learning and progressing as a modeler. It doesn't mean every kit is flawless, far from it, but i'm beginning to understand what i'm doing. 

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Like 3

No judo training tonight due to a small injury ( nothing serious ) i had time to finish some bits and bobs on the model. 

I added some texture to the fenders with spare PE .

20230213-214555.jpg

20230213-214510.jpg

I added the hinges on the right front side.

20230213-214644.jpg

I drilled all the holes on the brackets were the fenders are attached.

20230213-214612.jpg

added some texture with mr surfacer to the side of the upper hull

20230213-214653.jpg

And i made 2 tracklinks.

On the topic of the tracks. Each link consists of 3 parts. They are really easy to assemble ( they're big so my sausage fingers can handle that 😀 ) they are real sturdy. 

However...... they need alot of cleaning and they are all attached to the sprue as if they were made of pure gold.

This is what i have to clean up......

20230213-214706.jpg

4 sprues of link parts..... podcast anyone?

I'll keep you guys posted. 

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 8

A bit of redbrown factory primer does wonders for this beast. 

I tried to put on an uneven coat. Highlighting and shadowing with just thin layers of paint on the black primer.

20230214-140550.jpg

20230214-140612.jpg

For now it works but i don't know how much will be visible after the 3tone camo goes on.

I assembled 2 figures and gave them a coat of black primer too.

20230214-141236.jpg

That's it for now. 

2 hours ago, LankyPanky said:

Be a fair few podcast episodes before they're even off the sprue looking at the amount of parts 🤣

JC

Keeps you off the streets 😉

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

great looking build. look forward to seeing the paint go down

Yeah, me too 😀

I wonder what the redbrown will do with the darkyellow. 

The 3tone scheme i'm going for is more green with brown and darkyellow patches so i think it's going to be ok

1 hour ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Yeah, me too 😀

I wonder what the redbrown will do with the darkyellow. 

The 3tone scheme i'm going for is more green with brown and darkyellow patches so i think it's going to be ok

Can always do a couple of test swatches on some scrap to see if they're going to affect each other at all. Save any mishaps!

JC

• Thanks 1

Hi Maddoxx.

Very good spirit of improvement, without a doubt the PEs, well worked give quality to the model... the problem is that, they are very picky... lol .. I love the applied red, with that modulation. I didn't do any modulation, as my experience is that almost all, if not all, will be lost with subsequent paint layers, unless you are very careful, and the AB works as it should.... Then, after, I "settle the score" to Mrs. Modulation...lol With a tritone camo, the issue of modulating colors is very complicated, at least for me. As the colleague comments, you can test a guinea pig before, and preserve the good work done so far.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Maddoxx.

Very good spirit of improvement, without a doubt the PEs, well worked give quality to the model... the problem is that, they are very picky... lol .. I love the applied red, with that modulation. I didn't do any modulation, as my experience is that almost all, if not all, will be lost with subsequent paint layers, unless you are very careful, and the AB works as it should.... Then, after, I "settle the score" to Mrs. Modulation...lol With a tritone camo, the issue of modulating colors is very complicated, at least for me. As the colleague comments, you can test a guinea pig before, and preserve the good work done so far.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Did some testing. And it doesn't work. In order to get a good coverage with the 3tone the modulation in the redbrown is lost but..... great practice to modulate with the same color.

I will add shadows and highlights with oil paints.

• Like 1

Had a little time this morning so in order to get a 'feel' for the upcoming track building i made the spare tracks.

20230215-104301.jpg

Apart from all the cleaning the trackparts go together really well and once assembled they are really sturdy.

For now these spare are dryfitted. Once the two track are complete i'll rust them up.

Off to school.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 6

🍿 🍿 🍿 I will follow Your work... very nice so far! 👌 

BTw, I never understand "It has workable tracks and...". 

What is the point of that... I do have Frui, I think, few pieces and M.Kasten... but simply it's no point for me. Ok for bigger scale like 1/16 etc. Sorry for my rant 😅 I do buy them and they all sit on my shelf. 

• Like 1