Takom Jagdtiger 1:35. Beastmode on! *finished*

Maddoxx77

Next model on the bench. The Jagdtiger from Takom with the porsche suspension. 

20230207-204742.jpg

20230207-204806.jpg

It's a big beast.

It has workable tracks and a lot of detail. First look at the sprues gives me the impression of a well manufactured kit. Little flash and even some slidemolding so the details look crisp.

I bought some PE front and back fenders from Aber.

I also ordered the Tamiya wehrmacht tankcrew. So i will build this one with figures. 

Not shure what i want to do with the camo scheme. 

20230207-204826.jpg

There are 3 options sugested in the manual but i have to say i really like what @FrancisGLis doing with his Jagdtiger. That dark yellow with color modulation really looks the part.

Also, doing some research i found out that there were only 10 or 11 Jagdtigers with the porsche suspension. They were among the first that were build. The last one came of the assembly line in September 1944. So i must decide if i will do zimmerit on this model. 

It seems logical and historicly correct. 

However, those are tomorow problems.

Let's start this build.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Time for a beer.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Like 12

Jeez, your production line is at full speed ..... has the paint dried on the last build yet??  🤣

I'll get my chair, a brew and a ringside seat if you don't mind ..... 

Keith  😁

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Keeff said:

Jeez, your production line is at full speed ..... has the paint dried on the last build yet??  🤣

I'll get my chair, a brew and a ringside seat if you don't mind ..... 

Keith  😁

Always welcome Keith, i  grabbed a brew myself so cheers!

The paint on the crusader is dry however the mat varnish is still a bit moist 🤣

I was very eager to start with this model, got some nice inspiration from doing research and following the build of @FrancisGL 

And what else can you so with some spare time at hand? Just enjoying myself with this hobby.

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Looks like a big project, I'll take a seat and follow along if you don't mind?  Beer and popcorn ordered

Stay safe           Roger

Always welcome Roger

Hi Maddoxx,

Great project, a tough competitor...:fight:....😅

The workable tracks catch my attention, perhaps the suspension can be moved?...it's from the BLITZ line as well, as I've seen in the boxart (beautiful by the way), so they are "somewhat" simplified kits. The tritone camo is great, I would love to make one of these, but it is difficult, first masking, a very tedious process and somewhat difficult even with the right materials ... then to hit the tone of the colors, personally, I never like the that I choose, even if I try sets or brands... if everything goes as it should, the result is wonderful. Since I didn't want to ruin the model (I was going that way), I decided to do it in a single color, as I mentioned, I've seen two, and I hope that it fits me at least half as well as those... All this is not to discourage you, just the opposite, see before "staining" the model what you would like to do the most, knowing in advance the pros and cons, because I've been there before... lol I would really like to see your work, to see if the "little brothers" match...lol.

Cheers anf TC

Francis 🍿

• Like 1

Just a warning but Takom's Jagdtiger kits are notorious for the front part of the casemate not fitting correctly, you need to scrape off the bottom of the part or some of the welds seams in order to squeeze it into place. It's best to fix & place the part at the beginning of the build too instead of the end as the instructions suggest. 

Here is Night Shifts build as an example. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Always welcome Keith, 

Thank you!  

23 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

And what else can you so with some spare time at hand? Just enjoying myself with this hobby.

You're absolutely right .... make use of the time and it's great that you're enjoying yourself!  

I seem to be struggling to get a decent bit of time on mine at the moment .... work and domestic jobs getting in the way!!   🙄

Keith  😁

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Keeff said:

Thank you!  

You're absolutely right .... make use of the time and it's great that you're enjoying yourself!  

I seem to be struggling to get a decent bit of time on mine at the moment .... work and domestic jobs getting in the way!!   🙄

Keith  😁

Same here. I know this will be a long build. Not because of complexity but pure because of lack of time. So i try and make the most of the spare time i do have. 

That beeing said, i'm not in a hurry. It might seem that way sometimes though 🤣

Little update. Suspension is done. Lots of seamlines i had to take care of altough it hardly will be visible when the weels and tracks are in place.

20230209-121233.jpg

the sections are dryfitted so i can align them properly with the tracks.

worked a bit on the backplate. Some fiddly bits and some flash but nothing too complicated.

20230209-121251.jpg

20230209-121146.jpg

I gave the exhausts a bit of extra texture with mister surfacer 1500.

20230209-121217.jpg

I'll leave them off so i can paint them seperatly with some rust tones. 

Also i placed the front plate on the upper structure. I was afraid i had to butcher the part due to poor fit but with some fiddeling and the use of force i managed to wrestle it in place without major issues. 

20230209-121152.jpg

that's it for now.

I'm of to work.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 9

On 08/02/2023 at 12:25, Mig Eater said:

Just a warning but Takom's Jagdtiger kits are notorious for the front part of the casemate not fitting correctly, you need to scrape off the bottom of the part or some of the welds seams in order to squeeze it into place. It's best to fix & place the part at the beginning of the build too instead of the end as the instructions suggest. 

Here is Night Shifts build as an example. 

Tnx for the heads up. I was aware of the issue however as i stated in my last update i mananged to wrestle it in place without the need to butcher the parts.

Hi Maddoxx,

Good progress, I see the suspension, and it does seem functional unlike the Henschel, very similar to that of the Ferdinand/Elefant. Since I don't "get my batteries" right now you're more advanced than me...lol.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Maddoxx,

Good progress, I see the suspension, and it does seem functional unlike the Henschel, very similar to that of the Ferdinand/Elefant. Since I don't "get my batteries" right now you're more advanced than me...lol.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

You've allready got paint on yours, mine is in the early building stages. 

The suspension has movement and i'll keep it that way. I think it helps when i put the tracks on.... wich still have to be build lol

• Haha 1

Progressing nicely Maddox 👍

Glad to see you didn't let that front plate get the better of you and you showed it who's boss! 

I'll patiently wait for the next instalment  ...... 

Keith   😁

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Keeff said:

Progressing nicely Maddox 👍

Glad to see you didn't let that front plate get the better of you and you showed it who's boss! 

I'll patiently wait for the next instalment  ...... 

Keith   😁

Hoping to make some progress this weekend. I'll keep you posted 👍

• Like 1

As promissed 

Workbench update.

Today i worked on the assembly of the different parts. The back of the upper structure.

20230211-155123.jpg

20230211-155139.jpg

I kept the doors workable. 

The backplate with the machinegun

20230211-173612.jpg

And the main gun.

20230211-151708.jpg

I also did some work on the front plate and the right side of the upper structure.

20230211-173539.jpg

20230211-173547.jpg

Still a lot of assembly to do. 

I have to say there are a lot of little problems with this kit. There is a lot of flash to clean up. The fit is sometimes poor and parts need a lot of work before assembly. Nothing i can't handle but it's a bit offputting. 

Also i decided not to do zimmerit. I want this model to look good and i don't trust my zimmerit skills enough to give it a go. 

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Thanks for the heads up on this kit. I will get to mine one day so any tips are great. Have you decided on paint? 

For now i'm thinking red primer and 3tone camo

• Like 2

So today i did a thing..... well, 2 things to be exact.

First i launched the antenna foot in space. 

Then i scratchbuild a new antenna foot from parts i found in the spare box.

20230212-133841.jpg

Historicly accurate? Probably not.... do i like it? Yes.

oh and i fitted some PE on the back.

20230212-135018.jpg

I think tonight i'll start working on the PE front and back fenders. 

• Like 7