Airfix 1/144 SR.N4 hovercraft.

Marklo

This (as well as the SRN1) are my two top wishes for Airfix to add to their popular Vintage Classics range. So good to see this kit being built and ‘amazingly’ donated - the generosity on this site always astounds me. 

Good luck Marklo, I’m sure you’ll attract many onlookers. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This (as well as the SRN1) are my two top wishes for Airfix to add to their popular Vintage Classics range

Couldn't agree more

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

So here goes a wonderful slice of modelling nostalgia.

Can't wait to see what you make of this

/P

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing another one of these built. I made one about 16 months ago:

spacer.png

I found that it was a right pain getting the decks and bulkheads aligned correctly as they are made of very soft plastic. I also found it difficult to get the  roof to sit right on the outer bulkheads. I do have another two in my stash, one of which I intend doing as the SeaSpeed version. When I make that I will put plenty of supports under the decks.

I recommend getting some figures for the port side as it looks pretty bare without:

spacer.png

Now, where's my popcorn? :popcorn:

Dave

• Like 13

9 hours ago, davecov said:

Looking forward to seeing another one of these built. I made one about 16 months ago:

spacer.png

I found that it was a right pain getting the decks and bulkheads aligned correctly as they are made of very soft plastic. I also found it difficult to get the  roof to sit right on the outer bulkheads. I do have another two in my stash, one of which I intend doing as the SeaSpeed version. When I make that I will put plenty of supports under the decks.

I recommend getting some figures for the port side as it looks pretty bare without:

spacer.png

Now, where's my popcorn? :popcorn:

Dave

That picture helps a lot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

Such a nice bunch we have here in the SSDGB!

I could not agree more. Put it this way these things go for crazy money on eBay. I now have to do it justice. I have started work and will  hopefully post some progress shots tomorrow.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

I visited England about 35 years ago. I took the normal ferry Calais - Dover at that time and when we arrived at Dover it happened that a hovercraft, sitting on the beach, was preparing to leave. Of course I parked the car at a parking place, sat on a bench and watched what would happen.
The last cars and passengers were embarking.
Then the doors closed, the turbines were started and with them an infernal noise.
The air cushions filled with air, the heavy vessel (flying boat) lifted a bit and then - and that impressed me most - this giant turned around light like a feather, nose to the sea.
The engines even louder now, the hovercraft moved slowly, shoved onto the water. The propellers got their highest speed, the noise unbearable, and then the hovercraft went off, gaining speed on the water. And within a minute she had disappeared at the horizon, hidden in an enormous cloud of sea spray.

You see that remembrance is still very vivid after all those years. So I will follow your build closely.

• Like 8

DB54-CCA2-6-B43-4-F6-C-86-FA-208-BFFDFB0Some gray to check the many joints in the skirt.

0-F7-FE636-EE7-E-45-A7-AB72-98067-DC7081A coat of black after some filling and sanding. One or two tiny blemishes. I’ll let it dry then fill them with ppp and give it a second coat of black.

It’s coming together nicely but I can see how it was beyond my teenage modelling skills. It is not an easy kit by any stretch of the imagination, however I’m quite enjoying the build.

• Like 11

13 hours ago, psdavidson said:

She's (are we allowed to say "she" these days?) coming along nicely

but it just makes me want to go on Ebay and spend a ridiculous amount of money

I tend not to anthropomorphise anyway. 

And yes the prices on eBay are way way above what I’d be willing ( or allowed :) ) to pay for a kit. ( thanks again Paul)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1