Airfix 1/48 Mk I Desert Hurricane

Aims

1/48 Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk I representing P2638 of No. 274 Sqn RAF, flown by Sgt Pilot FH Dean, based at Sidi Barrani, Eqypt, July 1942. Aircraft had previously been PR Mk I P2638 of 208 Sqn, LG 39 / Burgh el Arab, Egypt, early July 1942.  A short time latter P2638 was passed to 274 Sqn to serve as a fighter for a second time and was almost immediately lost, being shot down by three bf 109 F’s on the 27th July 1942. I really enjoyed this kit from beginning to end. the plastic was not too hard for me to use the rivet tool with bad hands and the clear plastic parts and the decals are some of the nicest I have ever used but there are a few things needed to be able to represent the photo of this aircraft a little better. You will note that the photo shows that P2638 has an early style radio mast, a rear view mirror, tropical cooling vents at the side of the lower cockpit (both sides) and an oil collector ring around the nose - none of which are represented in the Airfix kit. The mast was just changed as best as possible but does not look right. The oil collector ring is just fuse wire cut and bent to shape and the rear view mirror was from Quickboost. I also used Eduard Spitfire Mk Vb spares - deHalliand prop which was much thinner than what Airfix have provided as well as the Eduard early Spitfire exhausts. Also used was the Eduard canopy mask and Sutton Harness sets. The beautiful Airfix canopy was treated to some handles from the spares box. Finally I had ordered the Brengun wheel set as I have seen thinner tractor wheels compared to what Airfix provide for the tail wheel but alas when the set came along with the Quickboost rear view mirror - the packet contained something completely different to what the label advertised and so I just wanted to finish the model. A lovely little kit well deserving of a little extra love here and there. I wish I had taken the time to remove the overly raised fasteners as well as add a slight curve to the cockpit panels where they meet the wing - next time! Thanks for looking, John

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png20230123-134929.jpgspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Aims
  • Like 58
  • Thanks 1

I really like this and agree your model is better not over weathered - great model and set off well on your display base

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks guys - I only tend to model subjects that there is a clear photo of and so it is clear in this case it has had a fresh coat of paint - there are even differences between where the Dark Earth is now and where it was when it was a PR machine. The photo is king - so the model has minimal wear and tear

11 hours ago, Mycapt65 said:

Absolutely gorgeous. I love how you interpreted the camouflage. 

haha thanks - there is a story there! The only Italian colours I had were in the old Polyscale acrylic range - I have had them some 25 years and they had never once been opened until this build!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Winded Penguin said:

Very nice indeed 👍

Is the PR colour 'camotint' and if so, can I ask what paint did you use to capture that look?

No PR colours used here just MRP Dark Earth and Aeromaster Midstone (did not have any MRP) over MRP Azure Blue (in my opinion I think the MRP Azure is a tad too dark - the old Aeromaster acrylic product is much brighter by contrast. As for the Italian colours along the front - they are Polyscale acrylic range Light Blue Grey, Hazel tan and Olive green - assumingly all captured from an Italian run airfield during the see-saw conflict

John

Edited by Aims
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aims said:

As for the Italian colours along the front - they are Polyscale acrylic range Light Blue Grey, Hazel tan and Olive green - assumingly all captured from an Italian run airfield during the see-saw conflict

The idea of the Italian colours is a long running assumption, which is based on the idea from not the best photos that the leading edges look like the Italian scheme.

What has come about subsequently is better photos, showing the base paint is aluminium paint,

?id=60446&num=142&size=still

from

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/stills/raf-desert-station-1

which has more, it's from a film.

and a squadron dairy entry saying that the colours

Chis Shores et al's new Mediterranean Air War, in which he quotes Flg Off John Jackson, 3 RAAF: "the new type of mottled blue, grey and purple camouflage on the nose, leading edges of wings, and front surfaces....""

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234922498-hurricane-spaghetti-scheme-i-said-it-was-blue/

One small detail you maybe able to add., as in just airbrush some aluminium on perhaps?  

To do with airflow, but the back of metal propeller blades will  scour back to bare metal from the tip,  while the front is overall in good shape.

It hard to see on photos, as it frequently look like the picture has just over exposed,  or light reflectance.  

Propellers wear on the back, and in the desert you often see the rear side worn back to bare metal.

One you know, it's clearly visible on this image

Sgt-Dean-of-No-274-Squadron-RAF-examines

and here

Hurricanes_260_Squadron_El_Ballah_1942_2

Hurricanes_260_Squadron_5.jpg

perhaps clearer on this Beaufighter image

3581858906_53fea3bd7d_b.jpgBeaufighter . by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

see here for more on this, including some great Corsair images on a coral strip, including front/back shots 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235108742-hawker-hurricane-mk-i-tropical-73-squadron-north-africa-1942/#elControls_4375766_menu

I really like that you added the tropical vents, as well as the other fine details.  

Anyway,  detail points aside,  great model, :goodjob:

cheers

T

• Like 5

This is a truly impressive build and representation of a specific aircraft.  Your attention to detail is quite amazing.  I did not catch the vents until you mentioned them in the history.  And, by the way, I always enjoy the history of the aircraft so thanks for that.  There is so much debate about what the mottling on the front of the wings and nose of the aircraft was.  It would make more sense to have the mottling closely resemble the enemy you are trying to confuse, so Italian colors would be appropriate.  Anyway, love the color scheme of this aircraft as how can you not like the desert scheme.  Thanks for sharing such a well built, highly modified, and carefully detailed to look like the aircraft is is representing. 

• Like 1

On 08/02/2023 at 14:30, georgeusa said:

There is so much debate about what the mottling on the front of the wings and nose of the aircraft was.

Not really.  There was a low resolution photo,  which resembled Italian mottle, so a guess was made it was in similar colours.

Subsequently more and better photos became publically available, which clearly show the base paint was aluminium paint,  which is quite distinctive in appearance in B/W images.

Then a period diary entry mentions colours.  

Unless a colour image turns up,  the available information points to a an aluminium base paint, with mixed paints in purple, blue and grey.

On 08/02/2023 at 14:30, georgeusa said:

It would make more sense to have the mottling closely resemble the enemy you are trying to confuse, so Italian colors would be appropriate. 

No.  It is only like the Italian scheme in as much as it serves a similar purpose,  to camouflage as low flying aircraft as long as possible.  

The idea that an Italian unit would be squinting at a low flying plane  going 'oh, look the camouflage is the same'  is plain silly.

They would be taking cover or opening fire.   

The function is to conceal the attacking aircraft for as long as possible.   

WW2 aircraft recognition was notoriously poor,  so much so they distinctive quick recognition markings were used,  in the Mediterranean the axis forces used white wing tips and fuselage bands. for example.

I posted all this here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235120064-desert-hurricane-l-identity/#elControls_4587892_menu

in particular

A low level aircraft low against a desert with heat haze, the aluminium plus will make it much harder to be seen by being light, not dark in silhouette  in the heat shimmer for longer, and that what matters.   

At 300 MPH you are covering a mile in 20 secs,   the longer you are not visible to be tracked,  the better.   

note the quote from @Work In Progress about Reno

this is footage from Reno

https://youtu.be/iWEerNNnSN8?t=303

note how hard it is to see the aircraft, and how much the white ones stand out.   

HTH

• Like 3