1/48 - Douglas TBD-1/A Devastator by HobbyBoss - TBD-1 released

Homebee

On 2/6/2023 at 5:56 PM, TheKinksFan said:

I wonder if it's the same as the GWH (or whatever they call themselves at the moment). It was released in 2012. Or a new tool, are these companies somehow affiliated. 

I think GWH‘s Devastator was in 1/32th scale.

29 minutes ago, RHWinter said:

I think GWH‘s Devastator was in 1/32th scale.

GWH was 1/48th. I part built one until I trashed it  after a canopy disaster 😪 and have another in the stash to replace it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, neilh said:

GWH was 1/48th. I part built one until I trashed it  after a canopy disaster 😪 and have another in the stash to replace it.

What happened with the canopy? I read that the kit canopy is too thick to position it open, that's why I ordered a Rob Taurus vacuform canopy. Quite strange that after 10 years another 1/48 new tool. And it's a Devastator, not a Spitfire, Bf 109 or such. 

23 hours ago, TheKinksFan said:

What happened with the canopy? I read that the kit canopy is too thick to position it open, that's why I ordered a Rob Taurus vacuform canopy. Quite strange that after 10 years another 1/48 new tool. And it's a Devastator, not a Spitfire, Bf 109 or such. 

I fitted the closed canopy which if I recall was slightly too narrow for the fuselage.  When I removed the masking, not only had paint somehow got inside the now closed fuselage, but the canopy had lots of tiny stress cracks where I had clamped it to the fuselage to spread it slightly while it dried.  I think the paint got in past the odd PE panel in the lower nose which kept detaching itself, and the stress cracks were down to me. I considered removing the canopy and replacing it with a mix of the open parts and a vac form , since you are right, the sections won't stack properly. However getting the canopy off caused more damage that I was prepared to bother with as I had become disheartened with the kit.  Up to that point I had been enjoying the build and have salvaged a lot of the completed detail parts for the one in the stash. Next one I will also probably use a Rob Taurus vac form. 

30 minutes ago, neilh said:

I fitted the closed canopy which if I recall was slightly too narrow for the fuselage.  When I removed the masking, not only had paint somehow got inside the now closed fuselage, but the canopy had lots of tiny stress cracks where I had clamped it to the fuselage to spread it slightly while it dried.  I think the paint got in past the odd PE panel in the lower nose which kept detaching itself, and the stress cracks were down to me. I considered removing the canopy and replacing it with a mix of the open parts and a vac form , since you are right, the sections won't stack properly. However getting the canopy off caused more damage that I was prepared to bother with as I had become disheartened with the kit.  Up to that point I had been enjoying the build and have salvaged a lot of the completed detail parts for the one in the stash. Next one I will also probably use a Rob Taurus vac form. 

I feel your pain as I'm in a similar position right HERE, the GWH transparent plastic is very easy to crack or craze and I think the HB kit will be similar if they try to make an open option. I know that GWH are a different company but there is still the chance that this is the same kit, it wouldn't be the first time the brand has been changed completely for a kit. That is assuming it ever actually appears of course.

1 hour ago, neilh said:

Up to that point I had been enjoying the build and have salvaged a lot of the completed detail parts for the one in the stash. Next one I will also probably use a Rob Taurus vac form. 

I find attaching the canopy the most nerve-wracking part of the build. So much can go wrong, as your experience well illustrates. 

I've used to Rob Taurus vacuforms, for 1/72 Dauntless and and P-47D. These were my first experience with vacuforms, and I was really nervous that they would crack when cutting and sanding. But they proved to be very flexible, not brittle. But they didn't stack perfectly, but well enough. I hope the Devastator one will be better in that regard. 

By the way, there's a new 3D cockpit decals set for this kit from Kelik. 

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

I know that GWH are a different company but there is still the chance that this is the same kit, it wouldn't be the first time the brand has been changed completely for a kit. That is assuming it ever actually appears of course.

To be honest, I almost hope that it's the same kit, as if it's a new tool it could (or should) be better than the 10 years old kit that we have. In any case, I think that the market for 1/48 Devastators cannot be that big. 

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Douglas TBD-1 Devastator by HobbyBoss - test model - release in 2023-2024
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Douglas TBD-1 Devastator by HobbyBoss - test model+box art - release in November 2023

Test model on diaplay at the All Japan Hobby Show 2023 - ref. 81784 - Douglas TBD-1A Devastator

Source: https://twitter.com/ModelArtInc/status/1707590977182175419

P1010837-u-td-LAs-Ymx-F-Eivrvo-E8n-qz-ZG

Source: https://www.facebook.com/gustav.jung.7/posts/pfbid0dwvxXmDDMHzF2k9d1qxgKYKKKb66JvPhJeNVgudFX2oSEtDTXgofhjNFKJZGuTivl

384787739-6610901202337705-5840610080864

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

I like float planes and can understand why they release that version too, as it will not cost so much to tool some extra parts. But as there was only one float plane built, I hope that they take this into account, and not go crazy making a lot of those boxings. When I bought my GWH Devastator, I noticed how prevalent the float plane was everywhere, TBD-1 was much harder to find.

9 hours ago, TheKinksFan said:

When I bought my GWH Devastator, I noticed how prevalent the float plane was everywhere, TBD-1 was much harder to find.

Maybe that's more due to the floatplane version not selling as fast as the normal one so those are the ones left...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Maybe that's more due to the floatplane version not selling as fast as the normal one so those are the ones left...

Probably not a case of not selling as fast, rather not selling as much. That's my point, they overestimated the demand for the float plane version, they should made instead more boxes with the normal TBD-1. 

• 1 month later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Douglas TBD-1/A Devastator by HobbyBoss - TBD-1 released
4 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

I am entirely premature on this, but can anyone offer some  insight on the differences between the Hobby Boss kit and the Great Wall kit?  I see shape issues. 

Me too please....

• 5 weeks later...