1/48 - Consolidated B-24 Liberator by HobbyBoss - B-24J released - B-24D in 2024-2025

Homebee

I'm a bit torn about this one. :hmmm:  The 1:32 kit got torn a new one for being dodgy in the wing department, although I forget the details.  I hope that either the complainers were either wrong, or Trumpyboss have fixed the issue with the shrink-down of the data etc., although they don't have a 'triffic reputation for correcting things like that, usually because when we hear about it, the warehouses are probably filling with boxed up models already.  I'm not going to rubbish it yet though, as it's not out, and you never know.... :)

• Like 1

Oh lord help my wallet…

I think the laminar wing is going to be controversial (thinking back to the Hurricane’s wing debacle) but regardless, as long as it looks like the machine well enough to capture the way the ‘box the B-17 came in’ distinctively sat on the hard stand, I’ll be happy! Especially in 8th AF Markings, the 2nd Air Division needs some lovin’!

Sam :)

P.S. Thinking how weirdly cheap the 1/32 kit was, hopefully it’s not as wallet-busting as I initially thought

• Like 1

My first thought was to wonder how this will compare to the old Monogram kit. Having never built that one, can someone summarize how it goes together?

Hi

nice a new 1:48 J model

maybe later a D model ? 

hopefully it will spur some AM parts for conversions to RAF and PBY models for it 

i have the monogram B-24's but will be getting one of these 

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1

Wow! Good to see a new tool! I just hope the engines are better detailed than the 1/32 kit. Not a deal breaker for me as there are always aftermarket. Honestly, I'm surprised to see Hobbyboss doing it. I would have thought that HKM would have gotten to it first after the success they had with the B-17 and B-25 kits, but, I'm happy nonetheless!

I would guess Hobby Boss are planning to do just the main production variants J & D, like they did with the 1/32 kit, but that could also open the space for aftermarket sets providing a various different noses for the H, L and M versions, why not. That would be so exciting!

Like the others above, I just hope the basic kit will be accurate and good enough to spark all that. 

Great. Hopefully they might research the fact that one of the main UK-based USAAF variants in the ETO was the B-24H with the distinctive Ford nose and give us the first kit of that in any scale. Academy claim to offer this in 1/72 with its Zodiac schemes but that's not what you get in the box, and there are even third-party decals from Kits-World in 1/72 and 1/48 but no out-of-the-box kit to stick them on. The only option is to track down a conversion kit, which seems a bit of an indignity for an important variant of the most produced heavy bomber in history in the most heavily kitted conflict in history.

Edited by Middo
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Corky said:

Next..... B-29....?

Very much looking forward to this B-24. 

Why not, I'm in! :)

When you think that in the last 6 months only, we got a new B-25J + announcements for B-24 and B-26 in 1/48 scale! In addition to already existing new B-17 and A-26, that really leaves only B-29 out of the Monogram famous 1970s bomber line to be replaced. 

But let's get this Liberator first. 

1 hour ago, Tokyo Raider said:

I hope it is accurate in detail.    This is great news.  Was hoping someone would do new B24....

I hope it is correct in outline. (surface second, detail third)

• Like 1

I like the 1:32 scale Lib that was recently built in a group build here. Looks like a great litt... uh no, a great huge kit whatever some people say. And apparently it builds quite well too, so I say well done HB 👍. V-P

On 06/02/2023 at 20:11, SAT69 said:

My first thought was to wonder how this will compare to the old Monogram kit. Having never built that one, can someone summarize how it goes together?

It goes together like any Monogram kit of it's age: It is the right shape, and it goes together well.

This being HB, it will probably have 400 parts for the bomb load with a free airframe. Not for me this time - done mine the old way.

b10e05809e7a3939413a6ab920121238.jpg

b72985617d63b5f1f2fd1953931074e7.jpg

Monogram not only got the wing right, they got the nose right on the 'D' model.

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Will not buy outright, awaiting the wailing and gnashing of teeth as Trumpyboss snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again.

They're prolific, but soooooo inconsistent. A pity really as they make good kits of interesting subjects. 

I'm definitely up for one of these. I always thought the 1/32 scale kit was too big, so a B-24J in 1/48 will be perfect for me.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 3