1/48 - Consolidated B-24 Liberator by HobbyBoss - B-24J released - B-24D in August 2024

Homebee

1 hour ago, Bill Mathews said:

oh I'm going to ask ..... 

A B-24 with a B-17 nose grafted on... 

tumblr_kq4623a9Qs1qzsgg9o1_500.jpg

see https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/hybrid-b-24-b-17.14122/  

I'd also suggest editing out the * expletive,  there is a no swearing even if disguised policy.   It's funiier to cuss like a 1950's comic book 'oh gosh darn it' kinda thing

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bill Mathews said:

oh I'm going to ask ..... 

what in the actual F*ck is this monstrosity  ???  ;)

actually i kinda like it ... but i'm weird ... :)

if memory serves there was an experiment in the 8th A.F. They grafted a B-17G nose onto a B-24 to see if that would help ward off german fighter's. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeirdWings/comments/hwcq85/b24_drag_reduction_fit_a_b17_nose/?rdt=33873

https://www.reddit.com/r/WWIIplanes/comments/2rhjm6/experimenting_with_a_b17_nose_on_a_b24_glad_this/

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/hybrid-b-24-b-17.14122/

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

A B-24 with a B-17 nose grafted on... 

tumblr_kq4623a9Qs1qzsgg9o1_500.jpg

troy & corsairfoxfouruncle

cheers for that ... but now i see it from the side - I take back my previous statement ... it's not "pretty" is it :) looks bloody good from the front ...

put it this way - I won't be sacrificing any B-17 and B-24 kits to make it anytime soon ;)

Edited by Bill Mathews
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

They grafted a B-17G nose onto a B-24 to see if that would help ward off german fighter's.

The experiment was a success. At the sight of such a hybrid, Luftwaffe pilots flew off with noticeable disgust.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/02/2024 at 01:36, Bill Mathews said:

troy & corsairfoxfouruncle

cheers for that ... but now i see it from the side - I take back my previous statement ... it's not "pretty" is it :) looks bloody good from the front ...

put it this way - I won't be sacrificing any B-17 and B-24 kits to make it anytime soon ;)

I would like to see someone have a go bit to much work for me without a genuine resin conversion 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a result, I bought this model for the prize money for the modeling competition. The live model is quite pleasant, although the tail is noticeably longer than the monogram. The lantern looks like you can safely put a squadron for a monogram. The sprawling towers are depressing - how is this even possible ... it can be done in 2024. Even at 72, Airfix solved this issue beautifully. The curves of the nacelles are also frustrating. The diameter of Trump's wheels is several millimeters larger than the resin ones. By and large, a contradictory model

Got mine a few days ago, quite impressive in size and in the box. I expect aftermarket sets to start appearing soon. Hopefully, someone will address the turrets issue. 

Edited by Rakovica

I got 2 of these for the stash.  I am happy with kit and waiting for aftermarket to fix cowls.

I wish i could get a panel to cover the ball turret so i can build "cocktail hour"...  maybe i should just retract ball turret and pretend its not there!  I do know it was removed at depot before deployment...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tokyo Raider said:

I wish i could get a panel to cover the ball turret so i can build "cocktail hour"...  maybe i should just retract ball turret and pretend its not there!  I do know it was removed at depot before deployment..

Why not just use sheet plastic and square rod to frame and skin it yourself ? Its not hard to make a template for the opening ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Why not just use sheet plastic and square rod to frame and skin it yourself ? Its not hard to make a template for the opening ? 

I was debating if i had the skill to do that.  I need the tunnel gun if i start changing the model that much...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

for those in Canada sunward hobbies have the 1:48 B-24J in the clearance section already  

not sure if this is a good sign ? 

cheers

jerry

https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/hobby-boss-us-b-24j-liberator-1-48-scale-81774/

Edited by brewerjerry
typo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

for those in Canada sunward hobbies have the 1:48 B-25J in the clearance section already  

not sure if this is a good sign ? 

cheers

jerry

https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/hobby-boss-us-b-24j-liberator-1-48-scale-81774/

I order a lot of supplies from Sunward, free shipping in Canada on orders of $60 or more, including paint is hard to beat.
The sale is a good sign for those who want one. Maybe not so much for HB.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got my liberator.

The turrets are depressing and so far no one has even declared them.

The wheels of the main landing gear simply do not fit into their niches - they are larger in diameter than they should be. Overall, surprisingly, the fuselage fits well in size.

The main problem is how to fix engine nacelles

• Thanks 1

The Metallic Details from Ukraine recently did an excellent cowlings & engines set intended for the old Mongram kit, but looking at the HB kit instructions I'm quite optimistic it can be used here too, with some basic surgery. Or to wait for a dedicated set which should certainly arrive in some future.

spacer.png

http://metdetails.com/catalog/metalic-details/aircraft/148/mdr48198-b-24-liberator-cowlings-engines

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Rakovica said:

The Metallic Details from Ukraine recently did an excellent cowlings & engines set intended for the old Mongram kit, but looking at the HB kit instructions I'm quite optimistic it can be used here too, with some basic surgery. Or to wait for a dedicated set which should certainly arrive in some future.

And even earlier and better, Vector from Russia did it (without printing traces). The problem is how to integrate them into the part of the nacelle adjacent to the wing - the contours are different there

• 2 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Consolidated B-24 Liberator by HobbyBoss - B-24J released - B-24D in August 2024