Jump to content

1/48 - Consolidated B-24 Liberator by HobbyBoss - B-24J released - B-24D in August 2024


Homebee

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

 

  They fixed the wing but made the nose far worse. It is simply as disaster, as usual with HB.

Edited by WrathofAtlantis
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SprueMan said:

What are we/you looking at to say that?

Simple, the nose upper side is flat with no curve up!

To me it looks like they forgot to put in the curve upwards to the front windows and therefore the window don’t have their distinctive correct size

Another give away for that is that the side window panes are not evenly sided ! ( rear side is shorter than the front)

If it was the same size in the front as in the rear it  could have the correct curve from the cockpit to the turret.

Just my two cents but I am a sucker for correct cockpit shapes 🤫

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, I see now.

Yes, it does not look that good.

But lets see how it will look in the plastic, as the photos from  the prototype can deceive a bit.

Edited by SprueMan
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Simple, the nose upper side is flat with no curve up!

To me it looks like they forgot to put in the curve upwards to the front windows and therefore the window don’t have their distinctive correct size

Another give away for that is that the side window panes are not evenly sided ! ( rear side is shorter than the front)

If it was the same size in the front as in the rear it  could have the correct curve from the cockpit to the turret.

Just my two cents but I am a sucker for correct cockpit shapes 🤫

 

  It's not just that: The canopy does not have that slight drop from the spine, which is is why the nose deck has to climb up like a ski slope to reach it. 

 

  Their 1/32 scale looks way better because there is a slight canopy top surface drop from the spine, and the canopy is also a bit too tall, so the nose does not have to climb as much to reach the front of it.

 

  The 1/48 cross section is also way too boxy, with way too sharp corners on the upper nose. Again the 1/32 was a bit softer there.

 

  The nose turret is way too fat.

 

  See the 1/72 Hasegawa for reference, which is absolutely dead-on in every respect, except for a wrong extra tiny window under the right tail plane... 

 

  The canopy should look like it was smashed into the fuselage, denting the front of the spine and the rear of the nose downward. The entire cross section has no flare under the canopy side windows: From the edge of the side window it should NOT be straight down... The 1/32 even has a bit of that going on.

 

  Again, the Hasegawa kit provided an absolutely perfect 2/3 size reference over 15 years ago...

 

  Only the HB 1/48 wings look fine so far. The rest is an insult to bins.

Edited by WrathofAtlantis
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I guess I'll be passing this up then! Ah well.....

 

 There is an incoming B-26B and Ki-21, and we just had an excellent HK  B-25J (although incredibly pricy). 

 

  It's not as bad for big 1/48 bombers as it used to be for 40 straight years... In fact the only really good big 1/48  WWII kit, in that whole period, was the still amazing Revell Ju-52 from 1999. We were then absolutely spoiled rotten with discerningly picked, sleek sexy subject I'm telling you...

 

  

Edited by WrathofAtlantis
Style
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Rakovica said:

Announced for € 107.99, seems like a very reasonable price!

 

 

Indeed. Around the £93-£95 for us in the UK, but no doubt a bit of shopping around might mean finding it cheaper still.
 

In today’s market, that’s not bad for a 1/48th ‘heavy’ - a bit less than the HK B-17s and Lancs, and when you consider the recently re-released Monogram/Revell B-24D is hovering around the £60 (not a bad kit by any means, but dated) this is sure to be a good seller. 

 

I’ll certainly be getting a couple of these, and can now sacrifice my Monogram J-model for my Koster Privateer conversion at last!

 

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll be getting one, despite the criticism. And I'll enjoy building it.

 

I'd have gone for the 1/32 B-24 but that is wayyyy to big for my hobby room.

 

Cheers,

 

Tom

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tomjw said:

I'll be getting one, despite the criticism. And I'll enjoy building it.

 

I'd have gone for the 1/32 B-24 but that is wayyyy to big for my hobby room.

 

Cheers,

 

Tom

Whatever floats your boat 😉

Some people like Fonderie kits and Mach 2 ( must confess I have a few🤫)

Have fun in whatever you (like to) build .

 

cheers, Jan

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2023 at 4:20 PM, tomprobert said:

Indeed. Around the £93-£95 for us in the UK, but no doubt a bit of shopping around might mean finding it cheaper still.
 

In today’s market, that’s not bad for a 1/48th ‘heavy’ - a bit less than the HK B-17s and Lancs, and when you consider the recently re-released Monogram/Revell B-24D is hovering around the £60 (not a bad kit by any means, but dated) this is sure to be a good seller. 

 

I’ll certainly be getting a couple of these, and can now sacrifice my Monogram J-model for my Koster Privateer conversion at last!

 

Tom

I gathered the Mono B-24 was just about their worst effort ? And is supposed to be as inaccurate as the trumpyboss offerings?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2023 at 8:24 AM, SprueMan said:

But lets see how it will look in the plastic, as the photos from  the prototype can deceive a bit.

 

Agree. Also, some of the supposed shortcomings might be correctable with aftermarket sets or something, at least I hope. We'll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bozothenutter said:

I gathered the Mono B-24 was just about their worst effort ? And is supposed to be as inaccurate as the trumpyboss offerings?

I have absolutely no idea about the accuracy of the Monogram kit, but what I was referring to was the fact it goes together well - a product of it’s time admittedly but build-wise it doesn’t cause any problems. No doubt this new HB issue will be considerably better in terms of finesse, etc., though. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2023 at 2:39 PM, WrathofAtlantis said:

 

  It's not just that: The canopy does not have that slight drop from the spine, which is is why the nose deck has to climb up like a ski slope to reach it. 

 

  Their 1/32 scale looks way better because there is a slight canopy top surface drop from the spine, and the canopy is also a bit too tall, so the nose does not have to climb as much to reach the front of it.

 

  The 1/48 cross section is also way too boxy, with way too sharp corners on the upper nose. Again the 1/32 was a bit softer there.

 

  The nose turret is way too fat.

 

  See the 1/72 Hasegawa for reference, which is absolutely dead-on in every respect, except for a wrong extra tiny window under the right tail plane... 

 

  The canopy should look like it was smashed into the fuselage, denting the front of the spine and the rear of the nose downward. The entire cross section has no flare under the canopy side windows: From the edge of the side window it should NOT be straight down... The 1/32 even has a bit of that going on.

 

  Again, the Hasegawa kit provided an absolutely perfect 2/3 size reference over 15 years ago...

 

  Only the HB 1/48 wings look fine so far. The rest is an insult to bins.

I've been looking at this, the top corners where they meet the turret look a little too bulbus which exaggerates the issue, filing this down will improve the look I think with minimal work involved. I'd like to see more pics of the cockpit area as it's hard to determine that area.  I'll be getting one based on what I can see here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/10/2023 at 22:21, Bozothenutter said:

I gathered the Mono B-24 was just about their worst effort ? And is supposed to be as inaccurate as the trumpyboss offerings?

 

  The Monogram is absolutely terrible, and I have been correcting mine for about 13 years now.

 

  Among the easy fixes: Scratch-built main canopy, tail planes widened by 4 mm, smash moulded turret tops. The turrets are still fat, but marginally tolerable, and unfixable anyway...

 

  Now the fun stuff: Imagine a cut slicing horizontally the fuselage section protruding under the rear turret, then running horizontally all the way to the bomb bay, then turning vertically to the spine, Then imagine that whole section tilted, rear up, 2 mm, the cut kept to a narrow joint by slicing two different kits, to raise the rear turret (and thus the rear 2/3 of the spine) to a more horizontal position by 2 mm.

 

  Now the nose 1/4 fuselage section had to be cut off to not be involved in the widening of the entire fuselage, which was done by putting 1.5 mm spacers between the fuselage halves. All the bulkheads will have to be widened by 1.5 mm...

 

  This creates an abrupt transition with the nose section, which is exactly what you want, as the transition is not the silly soft one Monogram made. Hasegawa brilliantly depicted this transition by cutting off the whole nose up to the rear of the cockpit, and moulding the whole front in clear(!!)...

 

  Hasegawa simply does not get enough credit how incredible their 1/72 kit is. It is one of the best models I have ever seen, and certainly one of the more accurate ones in 1/72.

 

  For my Monogram built, which a cost no object effort, I don't think there will be a single part of the HB kit that will be of help. The wings might be it, but they probably won't fit with the Monogram fuselage, and it's not like the Monogram wings fit well to begin with. Transplanting the entire wing roots sound like a plan, until you consider the amount of paint it would take to make it look like you did not...

 

  With rising shipping costs, these Asian companies rely increasingly on their nearby markets, which culturally consider these things to be toys. HB produced their excellent 1/48 Avenger and Russian tanks 15 years ago, because they knew they had a discerning global market. They have never repeated that level of quality since. 

 

  

 

  

 

  

Edited by WrathofAtlantis
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

The main wheels look HUGE but there’s plenty of after market available for those. This was the same with the 1/32 kit. And at least they’ve done a decent job on the top turret this time.

 

I like the look of this - this will be coming my way as soon as it’s available. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

In that case we would need the additional A-6 nose turret for "Cocktail Hour" and the wide navigator side windows for "Mabel's Labels", as I doubt those will be included in the box. Indeed, with so many B-24 nose variations, the HB kit could initiate a whole flow of aftermarket conversion/correction sets, hopefully.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Marking options revealed:

81774-_A_1000x.jpg?v=1701297844

81774-_B_1000x.jpg?v=1701297843

81774_1000x.jpg?v=1701297853

 

Source: Andy's Hobby Headquarters 

 

A few remarks... The camouflaged "Over Exposed" was in fact an F-7 photo Liberator, though I doubt that HB will provide the cameras and other equipment in the box. The original "Witchcraft" was an H model as far as I know, but let's say they indended to depict the modern J model replica... On the good side, the artworks seems quite nice and well detailed. They again managed to mess the stars and bars, but not a big deal with all the aftermarket available around.

 

Waiting for the sprue shots.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Rakovica said:

Marking options revealed:

81774-_A_1000x.jpg?v=1701297844

81774-_B_1000x.jpg?v=1701297843

81774_1000x.jpg?v=1701297853

 

Source: Andy's Hobby Headquarters 

 

A few remarks... The camouflaged "Over Exposed" was in fact an F-7 photo Liberator, though I doubt that HB will provide the cameras and other equipment in the box. The original "Witchcraft" was an H model as far as I know, but let's say they indended to depict the modern J model replica... On the good side, the artworks seems quite nice and well detailed. They again managed to mess the stars and bars, but not a big deal with all the aftermarket available around.

 

Waiting for the sprue shots.

 

I'm pretty sure the Q2 lettering should be grey... Whitchcraft also had enclosed 3-pane wait gun windows but that shouldn't be too hard to recreate (I doubt that'll be an option OOB but I'd love to be proved wrong).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Consolidated B-24J Liberator by HobbyBoss - released

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...