1/48 - Consolidated B-24 Liberator by HobbyBoss - B-24J released - B-24D in August 2024

Homebee

A new, and accurate, 1/48 B-24 would be very welcome.

I have built a Monogram D years ago and it's generally a good kit, especially for it's age, but one thing I hope that HobbyBoss improves on is the dreadful front and rear turrets of the Monogram B-24's with a nasty join on glazing that cannot be avoided or hidden.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

The problem with Hobby boss kits is they are corporately joined at the hip with Trumpeter. Some of the 1/32 Trumpeter kits that have been down scaled to 1/48 for Hobby Boss have retained the problems of the larger kits. Examples being the Trumpeter 1/32 Bearcat/1/48 Hobby Boss Bearcat. I'm sure there are others. 

• 3 weeks later...

I love the B-24 and am happy to see a New Tool in 1/48th.  I didn't know much about the 1/32nd offering but looked into it a little and to my eye the biggest issue is the shape of the wing.  To my eye, the thickness of the wing is wrong.  Still its not a deal breaker for me, anymore than the overly large tail section on the Hong Kong Models B-17.   I will get one to build "Sunshine"  which I find to have an interesting story and fun markings options.

I too though like the Monogram kit and have built a number of them and recently finished on and am currently working on another one.  

I am building a 1/48th version of "The Blue Streak", the build blog is here.  "The Blue Streak" Build Blog

I also finished "The Squaw/Sleepy" 

spacer.png

You can see more of it here.  "The Squaw/Sleepy" In War Bond Scheme  Monogram 1/48th

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything more about a release date for this kit ? I was going to have my still in the box Monogram kit built but this would almost certainly be the better kit ?

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Consolidated B-24J Liberator by HobbyBoss - test model - release in 2023-2024

Great, Great, Great! :)

They fixed the wing root profile and that's the most important thing.

Not sure about the turrets so far, but everything else should be fine, especially with an expected bunch of aftermarket goodies.

Looking forward to see more detailed photos and the boxart.

Edited by Rakovica
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting for a more detailed photos, it would be a nice touch from Hobby Boss to provide the nose weight in the box, like they did with their P-61 kits in 1/48 scale.

The tires don't look too promising, but I'd replace 'em with aftermarket anyway.

Edited by Rakovica
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

As someone who built the Airfix 1/72 B-24 Liberator as a nipper, my memories are of a pretty big model. How big does the B-24 scale out in 1/48? 

Cheers

Big … Ive built Monograms kit 3 times. Im not sure on exact dimensions but plan on it occupying a considerable piece of display space. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Big … Ive built Monograms kit 3 times. Im not sure on exact dimensions but plan on it occupying a considerable piece of display space. 

I might have to nail it to the wall! :laugh:

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 15:11, vppelt68 said:

It's length varied between production models, but apparently the wingspan remained the same, that being 110 ft 0 inches - 27,5 inches or 698,5 mm in 1:48 scale!

Crikey! I'm not actually sure I've even got bench space to build one!

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/10/2023 at 10:11 AM, vppelt68 said:

It's length varied between production models, but apparently the wingspan remained the same, that being 110 ft 0 inches - 27,5 inches or 698,5 mm in 1:48 scale!

I don’t think there was that much length variation in the main production models (D thru M). The big changes in length occurred with the LB-30/B-24A, which was shorter, and then the PB4Y-2 Privateer at the end of the Liberator line, which was significantly longer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I don’t think there was that much length variation in the main production models (D thru M). The big changes in length occurred with the LB-30/B-24A, which was shorter, and then the PB4Y-2 Privateer at the end of the Liberator line, which was significantly longer.

No there wasn't, but as I gave the wingspan with 0,5mm accuracy, I decided to skip the length as I didn't have access to that data about the variants 🙂. V-P

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Consolidated B-24J Liberator by HobbyBoss - test model+box art - release in December 2023
On 2/6/2023 at 2:22 PM, The_Lancaster said:

Oh lord help my wallet…

I think the laminar wing is going to be controversial (thinking back to the Hurricane’s wing debacle) but regardless, as long as it looks like the machine well enough to capture the way the ‘box the B-17 came in’ distinctively sat on the hard stand, I’ll be happy! Especially in 8th AF Markings, the 2nd Air Division needs some lovin’!

Sam :)

P.S. Thinking how weirdly cheap the 1/32 kit was, hopefully it’s not as wallet-busting as I initially thought

Not laminar, but perhaps supercritical?

• Like 1