1/48 - Consolidated B-24 Liberator by HobbyBoss - B-24J released - B-24D in 2024-2025

Homebee

On 1/29/2024 at 9:02 PM, Troy Smith said:

Not a huge surprise as they often mess up like this, and at least easy to fix.

But more costly with each kit. Aftermarket decals are more expensive than ever.

Unless I can get this kit with a huge discount, It's a hard pass for me.

2 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

I don't think $119 at some shops is too outlandish. But your mileage may vary.

in stock here in australia - got it from local hobbyboss distributor ( they have a evilbay store and sell direct - unfortunately for the shops but good for me ) got it for $143 aussie dollars delivered 

for that sort of money i think it will be ok - even with the problems mentioned here 

• Like 2

I'm not quite as picky as Wrath/Tlavok/Gaston.  I tend not to quibble over a millimeter here or there, as long as the kit captures the lines of the subject reasonably well, and the quality is decent.  That said, the canopy and fuselage top in front of the cockpit are just glaringly obvious errors.  One thing I haven't seen mentioned on this thread are the engine cowls, which are absolutely awful.  Pretty much every B-24 kit ever just portrays them with a flat front and crescent-shaped inlets on either side of the engine and calls it a day.  The contours of the real cowl are much more complex.  If you take a look at a real one and compare it with the new HB kit, they're not even on the same planet.  So far, the Hasegawa 1/72 kit is the only one to get them right (although the forthcoming Airfix B-24H looks promising as well.)  

Steve

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve N said:

I'm not quite as picky as Wrath/Tlavok/Gaston. 

who is now banned (again) 

His problem has always been no middle gears and also a tendency to not know what he is talking about, and not learn either,  he's still ranting away on Hyperscale even when he gets given actual factory data...

too good not to share...

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/miniart-1-48-p-47d-25re-basic-kit-in-the-box-pics-t540509-s80.html#p2933616

this from Christian A who does know what he's on about...

"20 years studying the subject and still, you fail to understand how any of this works.

Someone shows you Republic factory drawings, the actual source, so of course you ignore them.
Instead, you give us numbers sent to you by the CAF without any context as to what exactly was measured and then proceed to compare these to measurements you made on your Tamiya kit with your ruler?
Sorry, no.

There's no method nor documented evidence behind any of your claims, ever.
You are the only one who is "proven so spectacularly wrong", time after time. 
"

To be fair, like a stopped clock he is occasionally correct, but on average a similar amount of the time....  

I tend not to quibble over a millimeter here or there, as long as the kit captures the lines of the subject reasonably well, and the quality is decent.  That said, the canopy and fuselage top in front of the cockpit are just glaringly obvious errors. 

But is it fixable, and with how much effort?

This is the other part of looking at a kits faults, can it be corrected, and how, often it can be done 'with some modelling skill', sometimes with replacement parts. 

One thing I haven't seen mentioned on this thread are the engine cowls, which are absolutely awful.  Pretty much every B-24 kit ever just portrays them with a flat front and crescent-shaped inlets on either side of the engine and calls it a day.  The contours of the real cowl are much more complex.  If you take a look at a real one and compare it with the new HB kit, they're not even on the same planet.  So far, the Hasegawa 1/72 kit is the only one to get them right (although the forthcoming Airfix B-24H looks promising as well.)  

When this become more widely available, and even better, if you get one, perhaps you could take the time to put up a thread in the WW2 sections on some of these details, with photos (World War Photos is a good source, as is Asisbiz, but you need to have time to find the right image)  as it makes such a difference to understanding the subject if you know what you are looking for, and a well illustrated thread will greatly aid many modellers,  especially with two new B-24 kits becoming available and a surge in interest.

cheers

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve N said:

I'm not quite as picky as Wrath/Tlavok/Gaston.  I tend not to quibble over a millimeter here or there, as long as the kit captures the lines of the subject reasonably well, and the quality is decent.  That said, the canopy and fuselage top in front of the cockpit are just glaringly obvious errors.  One thing I haven't seen mentioned on this thread are the engine cowls, which are absolutely awful.  Pretty much every B-24 kit ever just portrays them with a flat front and crescent-shaped inlets on either side of the engine and calls it a day.  The contours of the real cowl are much more complex.  If you take a look at a real one and compare it with the new HB kit, they're not even on the same planet.  So far, the Hasegawa 1/72 kit is the only one to get them right (although the forthcoming Airfix B-24H looks promising as well.)  

Steve

me either steve - at a glance in the bags it looks generally pretty good ( but i'm no liberator expert )  the engines themselves are awful ( but that's no surprise - i will use resin anyway ) but i have no idea on the cowl shape - they just look like cowls to me :) . the turrets are the same two piece halves that will leave a giant join in clear plastic to be seen - not happy about that but i'm sure it will be better to assemble than the monogram D that i built 

IMG_2640

IMG_3994

• Like 3

As for fixing the nose, I suppose you could build up and reshape the area ahead of the windscreen, but I'm not sure how you would fix the canopy.  the biggest issue there is that the side windows are taller at the front edge than they are at the back, when the height was constant on the real thing (necessary, and the opening panels on the sides slid back over the rear panels.) I supposed you could sand the lower edge to get the shape correct, then build up the cockpit sill to compensate, although I don't know how that would effect the windscreen.  Like others have said, it may not be a big deal to some, and that's fine..I simply think they could have done a better job considering the resources available in this day and age.  Some years ago I was chatting with a fellow modeler who was building an Academy/Minicraft B-24, and I commented on the undersized and poorly shaped engine cowls, and he said they looked fine to him, as the Liberator isn't a subject he knew a lot about.  I mentioned that the Tamiya 1/72 Spitfire looked just fine to me, to which he replied it was "all wrong" and talked about the planform of the elliptical wing and fuselage dimensions. We both just had a good laugh, and agreed that at the end of the day they're just bits of plastic, and if you're happy with it, then that's all that counts.

I'll temper my criticism of the HB cowls somewhat, as looking at the buildup it appears that Part #10 on the sprue is a backing plates that provides the insides of the "cheek" intakes.  However the exterior contours are still incorrect and simplified.  I suppose it's one of those things that either bugs you or doesn't.  I first started looking at B-24 cowls when the Academy/Minicraft kits came out in the early 90s.  The cowls on that kit are significantly undersized and poorly shaped, and I studied the contours of the real ones in an effort to modify Airfix cowls to fit.   Here is the new HB kit.  The cowls look "OK-ish," but the contours aren't very accurate.

uDENncE.jpeg

Here's a real B-24 cowl for comparison.  The "cheek" intakes are actually angled inwards, and the inner edge set back from the rim of the engine opening.

rH5JOtT.jpeg

Not entirely germane to this thread, but here's a photo I made years ago comparing the 1/72 Hasegawa and Academy/Minicraft cowls.  So far, Hasegawa are the only ones to come close to capturing the complex shape of the real thing (although as I mentioned above, the upcoming Airfix B-24H looks very promising in that regard.)

sUgi9VL.jpeg

Anyway, just some random musings from somebody who obviously has way too much time on his hands.

Steve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2024 at 6:38 AM, Homebee said:

Expected in 2024-2025 - ref. 81775 - Consolidated B-24D Liberator

T10.png

V.P.

This should have less shape issues than the venerable Revell/Monogram kit, so I'll have to pick one up. The price of the Revell repop of the B-24D is $108, so . . . this will be about $11 more. :dog:

• Like 1

On 10/02/2024 at 02:22, Masinissa said:

This should have less shape issues than the venerable Revell/Monogram kit, so I'll have to pick one up. The price of the Revell repop of the B-24D is $108, so . . . this will be about $11 more. :dog:

Over here in oz the new repop revell D is around 170 bucks - about the same retail as the hobbyboss - and I’ll be grabbing one of the HB D’s when they are out . Being closer to Asia definitely helps with the pricing … 👍🤑

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 5:41 PM, Steve N said:

So far, Hasegawa are the only ones to come close to capturing the complex shape of the real thing (although as I mentioned above, the upcoming Airfix B-24H looks very promising in that regard.)

Vector 1/48spacer.png

• Like 4

The aftermarket will take care of the engine nacelle and other issues mentioned by @Steve N, I m sure. But he is trying to point out that there is abundance of material, lots of other kits available in the market, to get the things right out of the box. 

HobbyBoss has put in a commendable effort in this kit. Its those little things that take the shine off. 

• Like 3

All the aftermarket and corrections that are available right now are made for the 1/48 Monogram/Revell kits . . . 

With the HB B-24 you have a choice to accept their shape problems or go with the flaws found with Monogram/Revell. Since the nose of the old R/M B-24D is atrocious I'll hope that HBs B-24D is less prone to the same errors. With either kit you can still build a very impressive model that takes up a lot of shelf space.

Now when is someone going to do a 1/48th B-24H? Would ICM please pick up the courtesy phone! :daydream:

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Masinissa said:

All the aftermarket and corrections that are available right now are made for the 1/48 Monogram/Revell kits . . . 

With the HB B-24 you have a choice to accept their shape problems or go with the flaws found with Monogram/Revell. Since the nose of the old R/M B-24D is atrocious I'll hope that HBs B-24D is less prone to the same errors. With either kit you can still build a very impressive model that takes up a lot of shelf space.

Now when is someone going to do a 1/48th B-24H? Would ICM please pick up the courtesy phone! :daydream:

ICM prefers building 1/48 Twin engine bombers it appears. Surprised HK didn't pick this one up, but we can hold out hope of course. I'm excited for this release and have one on preorder.

• Thanks 1

On 13/02/2024 at 11:17, Masinissa said:

What was the issue with the monogram nose of the D ? Accuracy or fitment ? I had major problems with the join in front of the cockpit on mine ( ended up putting a triangular wedge in it near the bubble to space it out to match the nose glass as the glass was much wider than the two halves of the fuselage put together ) but I’m not sure if it was me or the kit being the problem … 🤔 also wouldn’t the H just be turret differences ? Maybe the advances in 3D aftermarket might bring a H conversion kit sometime… or some nicer clear parts to replace the kit J turrets 🤞

On 2/2/2024 at 2:54 PM, dragonlanceHR said:

Buying aftermarket items is purely a matter of choice - the vast majority of those who will build this kit won’t want, or feel the need, to make any additions. Granted, there will be some who will want to correct any perceived issues and add some detail but, as I said, that’s entirely up to the individual. Kit manufacturers provide the essentials, and the majority will be very happy with that - there’s no need to spend a penny more than the basic kit price if you don’t want to. 

4 minutes ago, Bill Mathews said:

What was the issue with the monogram nose of the D ? Accuracy or fitment ? I had major problems with the join in front of the cockpit on mine ( ended up putting a triangular wedge in it near the bubble to space it out to match the nose glass as the glass was much wider than the two halves of the fuselage put together ) but I’m not sure if it was me or the kit being the problem … 🤔 also wouldn’t the H just be turret differences ? Maybe the advances in 3D aftermarket might bring a H conversion kit sometime… or some nicer clear parts to replace the kit J turrets 🤞

I think the general perception is the Monogram D nose is too pinched along the lower nose area - HobbyBoss actually got this about right with their 1/32 version and were immediately panned for the nose being too bulbous in this area. However, it’s actually a lot more accurate than the Monogram kit!

The H-nose has some subtle differences when compared to the J. The bomb aimer’s window set up is different and the shape immediately behind the nose turret is subtly different too - those more familiar with the Lib will be able to tell you more. The H used the Emerson turret throughout its production run, whereas the earlier J models had the Consolidated turret (more or less the same as was used in the tail) and then later batches had the Emerson turret fitted. 

• Like 3

Tom, buying aftermarket decals with Trumpyboss kits is almost a must for the "serious" modeller, as 9 times out of 10 there are problems with shapes, size and/or colours.

Now some don't care as is their right, but if I work 20+ hours on something I want it to be right. Some manufacturers give you a chance to do it OOB, some don't.

It is a personal choice, and on this matter I vote with my wallet.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Buying aftermarket items is purely a matter of choice - the vast majority of those who will build this kit won’t want, or feel the need, to make any additions. Granted, there will be some who will want to correct any perceived issues and add some detail but, as I said, that’s entirely up to the individual. Kit manufacturers provide the essentials, and the majority will be very happy with that - there’s no need to spend a penny more than the basic kit price if you don’t want to. 

I think the general perception is the Monogram D nose is too pinched along the lower nose area - HobbyBoss actually got this about right with their 1/32 version and were immediately panned for the nose being too bulbous in this area. However, it’s actually a lot more accurate than the Monogram kit!

The H-nose has some subtle differences when compared to the J. The bomb aimer’s window set up is different and the shape immediately behind the nose turret is subtly different too - those more familiar with the Lib will be able to tell you more. The H used the Emerson turret throughout its production run, whereas the earlier J models had the Consolidated turret (more or less the same as was used in the tail) and then later batches had the Emerson turret fitted. 

That USAAF star and stripe insignia is so wrong, even a non-expert like me picked up the issue at the first sight. In the correct design, the stripes touch the top edge of the horizontal side of the star. 

This is a fair criticism. Because the kit maker should get such a basic detail right, out of the box. With the price of the kit and if I were to add an aftermarket decal sheet, the price will easily go above $200, considering how expensive aftermarket decals are these days. 

The other criticism I have as a non-expert is the engine detail. Its not correct even in its very basic detail. As modelers, the first thing we tend to see are the engines on these WW2 planes. 

I cant figure out cowling shape issue. However, people say thats a wrong shape. 

Having said all this, I still commend HobbyBoss effort. It looks like a great kit with a lot of detail and the surface detail looks very sharp. If I had space, I would have bought it too. 

Edited by stalal
  • Like 2