1/72 - Lockheed S-3 Viking by Trumpeter - release in 2023-2024

Homebee

Now this is one I'll be interested in buying. For some reason I've always liked the S-3. I used to have the Hasegawa kit, but that kit was never built and is lost to the sands of time.

Regards,

Jason

3 hours ago, J.C. Bahr said:

Question is, how bad will they screw it up and we'll still prefer the old Hasegawa kit?  Would love to be wrong, but don't have much hope.  🙄

Hope they would make sure their kit matches Hasegawa dimensionally. IIRC Hasegawa was considered fairly accurate geometrically although being simplistic with raised panel joints. 

• Like 2

Great, now I have two or three of the now old kits. Does anyone make a vertical fin fold joint in 1/72? I have the wolfpack wing fold set. When I looked up images, I found a drawing of one lengthend and made into a small airliner. Actually looks good, thought it might look cool with Buffalo Airways, maybe even a Buffalo C-2 Greyhound if the conversions weren't so pricey.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J.C. Bahr said:

Question is, how bad will they screw it up and we'll still prefer the old Hasegawa kit?  Would love to be wrong, but don't have much hope.  🙄

Well it's not British so they won't really screw it up, just mildly 🤪

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2023 at 11:33 AM, busnproplinerfan said:

Is the Airfix kit very bad? Did anyone make the decals for the one that was painted in the WW2 camo?

The Airfix kit is decent enough. There’s a lot more aftermarket for the Hasegawa kit though.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

If it hasnt got a weapons bay and or wing/tail fold then I dont really see the point of it over and above the Hasegawa kit.

Recessed panel lines and more detail is what I'm expecting over the Hasegawa kit. It's really should have a weapons bay, but I don't expect folded wings though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Recessed panel lines and more detail is what I'm expecting over the Hasegawa kit. It's really should have a weapons bay, but I don't expect folded wings though.

Yes that is true, the raised panel lines although nicely done do show up the kits age.

The wing fold is to much to hope for in that scale.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2023 at 2:26 PM, VMA131Marine said:

The Airfix kit is decent enough.

Oh my, I remember my NEW Airfix catalogue describing how a model kit was conceived and produced by showcasing the NEW S-3 kit! 🙄 (where's the 'geriatric' emoticon? 😒)

Edited by ivand
misplaced text

38 minutes ago, ivand said:

Oh my, I remember my NEW Airfix catalogue describing how a model kit was conceived and produced by showcasing the NEW S-3 kit! 🙄 (where's the 'geriatric' emoticon? 😒)

I remember that one too. The box art, while dramatic isn’t particularly accurate as the aircraft should still be attached to the catapult shuttle at this point.

130306-11185-64-720.jpg

• Like 4