email message from Yahoo- is it a scam or not?

Black Knight

I seek the collective's opinions on a message I received this morning from Yahoo

It was sent by - 

Yahoo Management <[email protected]>

the message reads;

Your mailbox is almost full.

1801 MB 2048 MB

Dear Yahoo Customer,

Our records indicate that your Yahoo account has not been upgraded to our new server. Starting on february 8th 2023, customers who have not updated their accounts will not be able to log in due to the recent server upgrade. To avoid losing your webmail account, you must check into our updated server immediately.

Enjoy our newly upgraded features by upgrading your Yahoo account to the updated Yahoo Server.

For more information on upgrading your Yahoo mailbox, click the following link:

You can get immediate assistance by  Clicking here

Before upgrading your Yahoo account, please ensure that your password is correct.

©2023 Yahoo Communication Inc. All rights reserved.

Now, usually pretty savvy when it comes to scam emails but this one I'm not sure about

It has some of the typical scammers points to it, ie 1. addressing me as 'Dear Customer' when they know my name, 2. the urgency of it, 'do it now, or. . . .'

I've sent a reply to the source of the email. I'll await their response

Log into your your Yahoo mailbox, as you would normally, not by clicking the links in that email, and find out if it's nearly full, and seek help/info about the supposed server migration from Yahoo from your mailbox web page.

I'm going to guess scam though, I know people are sloppy these days but February doesn't have a capital F in the email...

Edited by RobL
  • Like 4

I got one last month,saying that they were going to close my Microsoft Account,because of low usage,as far as I am aware I have never had a Microsoft account,so I just deleted the mail,never heard any more about it.

Edited by RAF4EVER
  • Like 1

I have seen genuine emails similar to this in the past where Yahoo has changed something. However in this case

• the email comes from a person rather than admin or similar service name
  • Feb 8th is a ridiculously short time scale. Tech companies generally give months of lead time on these sort of things.
  • "click here" is always a red flag!!

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, RobL said:

Log into your your Yahoo mailbox, as you would normally, not by clicking the links in that email, and find out if it's nearly full, 

I think I've checked; it says; 1TB of storage 0.04% used

I thinks I'm well off the even nearly full

52 minutes ago, RobL said:

I'm going to guess scam though, I know people are sloppy these days but February doesn't have a capital F in the email...

I noticed that as well but ignored it cos even the best edumacated can and do make spelling misteakes

37 minutes ago, ckw said:

. . .  However in this case

• the email comes from a person rather than admin or similar service name
  • Feb 8th is a ridiculously short time scale. Tech companies generally give months of lead time on these sort of things.
  • "click here" is always a red flag!!

I agree on that. When yahoo shut down its 'Groups' I got nearly 2 years notice, and told many, many times by them that it was going to happen

tbh, this one had/has me worried as I do have several hundred emails which I want and need to keep and the thought of loosing them sends me into apoplexy

Thanks for all your input and opinions

Which box did the email come to? If it was your junk email folder that would be a dead giveaway. Also move your cursor, without clicking on it, over the hyperlink and see what shows up. I used to get emails purporting from Ebay and they looked absolutely genuine. However, none of the hyperlinks in the message actually worked, except for the one at the very bottom of the page and it was one that ended in .ru, which meant it originated in Russia.

It's almost certainly a scam mail.

You are not named

There are 2 separate issues listed (almost full and upgraded server)

Urgency designed to panic you into action

Lot's of "click here" bits

There may be other clues in the sender address when you hover over it (does it match), the source server (was it really yahoo) and also the recipients list (was it just you or is there a huge list)

HTH

/P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ive gotten these in the past many times. I never do anything and my Yahoo account never seems to take a hit ? Now granted it is a secondary junk type account. I also regularly dump any extra emails and garbage so I wouldn't think it would ever fill up. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 1:51 PM, psdavidson said:

You are not named

There are 2 separate issues listed (almost full and upgraded server)

Urgency designed to panic you into action

Lot's of "click here" bits

All correct. 
And of course there is the appeal to Ahtoritah by using Yahoo Management but with a normal person name in the mail address itself (does not match).

All dead giveaways this is phishing. 

• Like 2