Was the Forum down today ?

I would be very surprised if you didn't have an "F5" function. It's a keyboard shortcut to refresh the screen content on your browser. Even if you don't have dedicated function keys on your keyboard, generally, there would be a way to replicate the use of these keys with some other key press combination(s). For example on my windows based tablet, I press a "FN" key then one of the number keys to replicate the function key on the keyboard 

1 hour ago, LorenSharp said:

BM was down on this side of the pond as well. Which meant I had no excuse I had to go OUTSIDE! and mow the yard. All one acre of it. Oh the pain, the pain...

Now that you mention it, I did spend some time picking up all the sticks (well, the ones I deemed big enough to cause trouble), and getting a pruned branch out of a rose bush.  My hands took more hits than in the typical model-building session!  NOW I might be able to actually mow the lawn... Oh, but it has been raining heavily, guess I'd better give it a chance to dry!

As for F5 features, I like the whole darn family, but especially the F-5F, T-38, and F-20.

• Haha 9

46 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

As for F5 features, I like the whole darn family, but especially the F-5F, T-38, and F-20.

and the FN function grants some special abilities while pressing combinations like P, 9 and 0 or F, A and L... 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

Now that you mention it, I did spend some time picking up all the sticks (well, the ones I deemed big enough to cause trouble), and getting a pruned branch out of a rose bush.  My hands took more hits than in the typical model-building session!  NOW I might be able to actually mow the lawn... Oh, but it has been raining heavily, guess I'd better give it a chance to dry!

I would have liked to do that but it was supposed to storm later in the afternoon and I didn't want it to get any taller. I was hearing African drums sounding at night in the grass the way it was. And because 2/3 of the yard is on a slope I ended up using a weed whacker get it all properly trimmed down. 4 hours later that is. Did get to work on my tan though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

a weed whacker

Is that what we'd call on this side of the pond a strimmer?  I have this vision of you walking around your garden with a mallet playing "whack a mole"

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Is that what we'd call on this side of the pond a strimmer?  I have this vision of you walking around your garden with a mallet playing "whack a mole"

Didn't come across any moles to whack:fight:, but startle a couple of Milk snakes though.

Isn't it great how we suffer from terminal topic drift, no matter what we start off talking about. :offtopic:That's why we have a happy one, and this angry one for when it matters :offtopic:I made the happy one by pasting in a cheerful face over the grumpy one :smartass:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

windows 10 home

I assume you're using Microsoft Edge browser then.  Hold the CTRL key down and press the F5 key, that'll do it.

1 minute ago, Neddy said:

I assume you're using Microsoft Edge browser then.  Hold the CTRL key down and press the F5 key, that'll do it.

That works, The F features are small on the keys, just helps to look. I did have to use crtl as well like you said, thanks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Model Ship World  was down too. As it shares the appearance of this one I guess we share servers at the home of the software.

Fascinating stuff...💤

Brexitmodeller was down as well, and THERE’s some irony!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gidday All, Britmodeller was back on line for me last night, obviously or I wouldn't have been able to post. This morning (about 15 minutes ago) it started up fine and then it ran soooo sloooowlyyyyy that I almost fall asleep between me hitting a key and anything actually happening. Are others finding this? It's when I've been (trying to) check notices. Regards, Jeff.

Gidday, further to the above, after typing the above post I hit "Submit Reply", and then had a nap while waiting for it to do so. So I went outside to watch grass grow. 😁

Things seem a little quicker now. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

Would appear that there has been a repeat of the "minor" incident from a couple of days ago according to a Facebook post from @Mike. Obviously the site hosts have decided to add a few more hamsters to the wheels and got us back up and running a tad quicker this time around 😝

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

Would appear that there has been a repeat of the "minor" incident from a couple of days ago according to a Facebook post from @Mike. Obviously the site hosts have decided to add a few more hamsters to the wheels and got us back up and running a tad quicker this time around 😝

I'm just waiting for an explanation now.  At least it wasn't as long as the last one :dull:

• Like 1

I've just had the most disappointing email back from Support that basically just says "The issue has been resolved".  Well gosh, without you telling me, I'd never have guessed from looking at my website that wasn't there a few minutes ago :doh:

I've sent them a politely worded request for more information, but I'm hoping they can tell I'm irritated by their glib "stop bothering us" reply. <_<

• Like 3

Damm........ and the wife was out so I couldn't talk to her.

However I did get a load of modelling done.  :banghead:

Don't tell her..............................:whistle:

Dick

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Mike said:

I've just had the most disappointing email back from Support that basically just says "The issue has been resolved".  Well gosh, without you telling me, I'd never have guessed from looking at my website that wasn't there a few minutes ago :doh:

I've sent them a politely worded request for more information, but I'm hoping they can tell I'm irritated by their glib "stop bothering us" reply. <_<

Almost as bad as the typical IT support "well... just restart your computer and the problem should go away!" Translation "no idea what's wrong, and can't be bothered doing any sort of diagnostics to work out what's wrong!"

Wife uses a docking station/port hub to connect her laptop to monitor, keyboard, mouse etc, which then frees up all the USB ports. Sadly it's having issues, and randomly stops working. The charity she works for has an outsourced IT support, and all they have said so far is possibly needs updates.... Personally, I've never known a docking station/port hub to need updates to work properly. Anyway, she's checked (Lenovo laptop) and no updates outstanding. So realistically, the unit needs replacing, but they seem rather reluctant to do so for some reason!

• Like 1

I once had my computer die completely on me at work. I called the IT support line and they raised a case. When I'd heard nothing back after 5 days struggling to get any useful work done I called again to be told the case had been closed. It turned out they'd sent me an email, only accessible from the dead computer, and when I didn't reply, they assumed the problem had gone away!

• Haha 8

8 minutes ago, Chimpion said:

I once had my computer die completely on me at work. I called the IT support line and they raised a case. When I'd heard nothing back after 5 days struggling to get any useful work done I called again to be told the case had been closed. It turned out they'd sent me an email, only accessible from the dead computer, and when I didn't reply, they assumed the problem had gone away!

Strewth :owww:

18 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

Personally, I've never known a docking station/port hub to need updates to work properly. Anyway, she's checked (Lenovo laptop) and no updates outstanding. So realistically, the unit needs replacing, but they seem rather reluctant to do so for some reason!

Probably because they'll need to get someone's signature to authorise it and they can't be bothered.  I bought my SO a USB-C docking station for her laptop, and if the USB is working, it's transparent. :shrug:

I also have an OOOOOOLD Lenovo with a docking station that goes KER-CHUNK! when you dock it, and I think that one does need a driver, as it's a custom piece of kit.  It even comes with a key to lock it in place :D

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mike said:

I bought my SO a USB-C docking station for her laptop, and if the USB is working, it's transparent

This one is a USB-C docking station, supposedly designed for the specific laptop she is using - yet does not replicate all the ports she has! For the display it uses HDMI but does not have this on the dock, so we still need to plug the monitor cable into the laptop separately. I've lost count of the times I've had to sort out IT issues for her that her IT support staff should be doing. I suppose having your own personal IT geek/nerd/support in the house helps :computer: Been building, updating, repairing my own PC#s since the mid 90's so have a lot of knowledge to use and pass on.