Was the Forum down today ?

Hello I’m trying to find out if the Forum was down for maintenance at roughly 7:00 am UK time ? I tried to access the forum and it was frozen, the rest of the internet worked fine so know it wasn't that. I cleared my cache twice to try again and still nothing. 

Dennis

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello I’m trying to find out if the Forum was down for maintenance at roughly 7:00 am UK time ? I tried to access the forum and it was frozen, the rest of the internet worked fine so know it wasn't that. I cleared my cache twice to try again and still nothing. 

Dennis

It was very hard to get on to for a while yesterday, but it has been playing up for me for a while now so I put it down to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Oooo Brilliant. I'll have to try that one I'm fed up with the nonsense.

I mean it just reloads the page you wanted instead of the error page, by refreshing the cache, which is a very old trick (not my own, but generally applicable to solve a host of bothersomeness on the Interwebs).

Paul.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Gents, can't access BM, so control F5 will do the trick?? 

Probably not, only if you're stuck on a page already getting the 2 variations of the error code pages coming up. What the OP was about is different I think. Can't hurt to try though. Not being able to get in at al may just be a bad case of the site responding very slowly, which I've had a lot more frequently the last 2 weeks.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gidday, I'm finding that sometimes I can't access Britmodeller although I can other sites. The most recent was this evening, about 10 - 15 minutes ago. I'm also finding that it can be very slow to access or return from pages or posts. Quite annoying at times. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 4

It seems to be happening occasionally at the moment, and I'm going to look into it with our Hosts shortly.  @Julien said it was down for a bit earlier, but I missed it and he couldn't produce pics, so I pretended it didn't happen. :)

I feel like the server's stability is deteriorating as time goes by, and that ain't what we're paying for. :(

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 2/6/2023 at 9:53 PM, corsaircorp said:

so control F5 will do the trick?? 

Nope. 

pressing Ctrl+F5 basically tells your browser 'gimme that page from the server again, and don't bother checking what you have already cached in memory or temporary file cache - just give it to me straight!' 

Usually this advice is given if there's markup, javascript libraries, or stylesheets not working correctly so a page doesn't render properly in your browser -  js libraries is usually an item that is cached to make sure it's 'there' immediately and a site is more responsive.

Which doesn't help if the server or forum software itself is having issues responding to a request.

y4mbECDvcO4KVJPObL_UaOc-Q6eBpesX2Oh64QJJ

the infamous 500/503 error is exactly that, a server related issue - either a database query or handle not being fired off properly, or worse, resource exhaustion leading to a non-responsive webservice where your browser gives up and tells you there's a time-out or 'cant find server'. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mike said:

It seems to be happening occasionally at the moment, and I'm going to look into it with our Hosts shortly.  @Julien said it was down for a bit earlier, but I missed it and he couldn't produce pics, so I pretended it didn't happen. :)

I feel like the server's stability is deteriorating as time goes by, and that ain't what we're paying for. :(

I'm no web developer and don't claim to be a hosting expert but 40+ years as an IT professional also tells me your hosting company is under-performing and as a result the site is under-resourced somewhere.  Give 'em a kick from me, would you? 

20 minutes ago, Pajarito said:

Would things be different if we were charged, say... 5 quid a month as a membership fee? It's been awful to have seen Zone-Five going South. :fraidnot:

Just asking.

Sadly if that were the case Id not be able to stay a member. Im on a very fixed budget of $600 or about £490 per month. It would be beyond my current abilities with all of my health expenses. 

• Like 1

Hi CF4U,

Oh, so sorry, chum. Well, me neither, to be honest with you. I didn't have the faintest idea whether or not 5 quid was a lot or nothing to be asking for in order to be member of a modelling forum. I know there are many paid modelling forums out there, and I'm member to none because I can't afford to pay either.

But most of the free forums I go to are struggling to stay afloat these days. That's scary when you consider the vast array of info there's available to them, and what it is more, all the awesome mates whom you chat with on them. 

Some of the fellas I'd talk to on Z-5 are gone. Didn't see it coming, so I never exchanged e-mail addies with them.

Cheers. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, RAF4EVER said:

Has the Forum been, been unable to access it from 2000 20 May, until 1025 this morning 21 May

Yes. Explanation on Facebook page which to a Luddite like me reads “hitch at servers affecting many sites not just BM. Billy working on it”

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

I couldn't acess BM from around 3pm yesterday until now....

Same here. I'm still suffering cold turkey as a result.

• Haha 4