Wing root disaster on my Ju-52--after gluing it's separating at the wing root

28ZComeback

Hello all, 

After gluing my wings to my Revell Ju-52 I thought I had a secure join at the fuselage with proper dyhedral, however the top of one wing "separated" from the wing root and while the bottom section is glued and secure, a nasty gap has appeared on the top of the wing. Is there any way to fill a nasty a centimeter gap at the root (that is tough enough to hold the wing to the wing root) without destroying the corrugated skin on the wing? I thought of pumping in super glue with a tube directly into the gap then wiping any excess (quickly) with a towel and debonder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2023 at 5:44 PM, 28ZComeback said:

Hello all, 

After gluing my wings to my Revell Ju-52 I thought I had a secure join at the fuselage with proper dyhedral, however the top of one wing "separated" from the wing root and while the bottom section is glued and secure, a nasty gap has appeared on the top of the wing. Is there any way to fill a nasty a centimeter gap at the root (that is tough enough to hold the wing to the wing root) without destroying the corrugated skin on the wing? I thought of pumping in super glue with a tube directly into the gap then wiping any excess (quickly) with a towel and debonder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Presumably you mean one millimetre?

Difficult to say without seeing it, but a plasticard shim cut to the wing profile could work. Once fitted and shaped properly, drop some extra thin liquid cement along the joints. You’ll then have a plastic-plastic joint and the gap will be filled.

Of course, if the dihedral was correct without the gap, if you just fill the gap, it will then be incorrect, but there you go.

This is how I did it on my Polikarpov I-16:

spacer.png

Edited by dr_gn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1